Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was over at this site:
Top Speed Calculator

After I input all ratios it's telling me that the mecanical top speed of the new Tundras is 222mph, not taking wind resistance into account of course. Could someone else check this out because that doesn't seem right to me.
Here's what I put in for everything

RPM: 5900
1st : 3.33
2nd : 1.960
3rd : 1.353
4th : 1.000
5th : 0.728
6th : 0.588
Rev : 3.061
Final: 4.300

Tire: 255/70/18

If this is true then when someone comes out with a chip to remove the limiter there will be alot of dangerous trucks out on the highway. Me included:devil:

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
That can't be right but if it was I would love to take the 2007 Tundra back to the Autobahn for a cruise!
You do know the speed limits on the Autobahn are in km/h and not in MPH. :)

And for those who ask, yes there are speed limits on the Autobahn in specific sections of the autobahn!

Sanosuke!

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Actually it does make sense. without wind resistance or friction the top speed ought to be very high. But then you factor in the real world...The drag coefficient of the Tundra is huge, so that will have a massive impact on what the actual (not mechanical) top speed is. not to mention the friction of the tires on the pavement, and the friction of moving parts in the drivetrain and suspension. Also, top speed will probably be reached in 5th gear, as 6th wouldn't have enough torque to push it through the air to the highest possible speed.:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I hold third gear all the way, it will take me to about 90mph... and I still have two more to go!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yes, your top speed on the moon would be 222 MPH. Is there any point in calculating this? Lift up the truck and put dragster tires on it and you could set a mechanical land speed record. This information has absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, your top speed on the moon would be 222 MPH. Is there any point in calculating this? Lift up the truck and put dragster tires on it and you could set a mechanical land speed record. This information has absolutely no relevance whatsoever.
No point, just the pursuit of happiness. Seems you have a longer journey than the rest of us. We still love ya though man, see ya on the moon:p

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Thanks for calculating! I always wondered what a six-speed transmission could theoretically attain when it hits 60 mph in 2nd gear:eek: I figured it would be over 200mph. Even with the limiter off and the correct tires I doubt the truck could hit much higher than 140 mph. This would have to be in 4th gear as well, as there is no way 5th or 6th could pull at speeds higher than 120. Remember, drag force increases exponentially (squared) as a function of speed...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Actually it does make sense. without wind resistance or friction the top speed ought to be very high. But then you factor in the real world...The drag coefficient of the Tundra is huge, so that will have a massive impact on what the actual (not mechanical) top speed is. not to mention the friction of the tires on the pavement, and the friction of moving parts in the drivetrain and suspension. Also, top speed will probably be reached in 5th gear, as 6th wouldn't have enough torque to push it through the air to the highest possible speed.:)
You're 100% correct. There is little way that 6th would have enough bite to push the truck much substantially faster than 5th gear. Even 400HP Corvettes have a tough time past 180mph - 190mph.

You might do pretty good if you had a really stiff tailwind, but there is no way you would see anything close to 200mph.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
You're 100% correct. There is little way that 6th would have enough bite to push the truck much substantially faster than 5th gear. Even 400HP Corvettes have a tough time past 180mph - 190mph.

You might do pretty good if you had a really stiff tailwind, but there is no way you would see anything close to 200mph.
Thanks!
Exactly how I came to my deduction about the 5th gear. Not even the Corvette with the 6L LS2 motor can get to top in 6th. The motor just can't push it through the air...maybe if you had a 186mph tailwind:D You have to be in 5th and at about 6250 RPMs, and once you get to that point, the fuel system cut-out kicks in and you're quickly decellerating:D

You couldn't expect the actual top-speed on the new 5.7 Tundy to be any more than 135, I'd reckon, and even that is prolly pushing it. Even then it's have to be a base model 4x2 reg cab short bed.

OOOOOOOOOOO SPEED SHIMMIES!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts