1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Amazing legislator who suffered through a lot of loss. He was a person who inspired me to be a strong Republican. Humanism has its virtues but pales in the face of Christianity.

Joseph left his boys with some strong ideals but condoned immorality. God does visit the sins of the fathers up to the fourth generation. A great family seamingly devoid of godly influence eventhough Rose was a saint.

May the Lord be merciful on His servant Ted, RIP.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a rather odd and morbid coincidence:

John F. Kennedy - Shot in the Head

Robert F. Kennedy - Shot in the Head

Rosemary Kennedy - Underwent a lobotomy in 1941

Ted Kennedy - Died of a Brain Tumor.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Cry me a river.
Speaking of rivers will they throw his ashes into the waters near chappaquiddick.

How did he make you become a strong republican?

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you realize that of all the Kennedy brothers, he was the only one to die of natural causes?

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
While I hated what the man stood for.....

I do appreciate these things:

1. The amount of family disasters he went through is second to none. Just a horrible stream of events and he handled them.

2. I commend his dedication to public service. Yes he benefited and yes I didn't like what he stood for....but his devotion to his job is commendable.

3. His ability to speak is amazing. I've heard a lot of his rhetoric and it is pretty good.

I respect the man. I don't respect his principals or the family in the least bit, but you have to admit he was a very influential senator and his death is going to affect the rest of the world....

That being said....his speeches usually caused me to be a deeper conservative :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Lotta bars in mass will be needing a stimulous package now that Ted "I'll have another" Kennedy is gone.

Just waiting to hear the "we'll get this health car plan passed beacuae that what Teddy wanted" just wonder which self righteous left winger will lack the couth to say it.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we now have one less womanizing bleeding-heart liberal drunk in the Senate. Is there a problem here?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Jan here's your amazing legislator

The* Last of The Kennedy Dynasty

As soon as his cancer was detected, I noticed the immediate attempt at the canonization of old Teddy Kennedy by the mainstream media. They are saying what a "great American" he is.* I say, let's get a couple things clear & not twist the facts to change the real history.

1.*** He was caught cheating at Harvard when he attended it.* He was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.

2.*** While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two.* Oops!* The man can't count to four!* His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England (a step up from bootlegging liquor into the US from Canada* during prohibition), pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea , where a war was raging.* No peferential treatment for him! (like he charged that President Bush received).

3.*** Kennedy was assigned to Paris , never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.* Imagine a person of his "education" NEVER advancing past the rank of* Private!

*4.*** While attending law school at the University of Virginia , he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood with his headlights off after dark.* Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked.* Coincidentally, he passed the bar exam in 1959.* Amazing!

5.*** In 1964, he was seriously injured in a plane crash, and hospitalized for several* months.* Test results done by the hospital at the time he was admitted had shown he was legally intoxicated.* The results of those tests remained a "state secret" until in the 1980's when the report was unsealed.* Didn't hear about that from the unbiased media, did we?

6.*** On July 19, 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts .* At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker.* Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond.

7.*** He swam to shore and walked back to the party, passing several houses and a fire station.* Two friends then returned with him to the scene of the accident.* According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew - that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities.* Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep.* Kennedy called the police the next morning and by then the wreck had already been discovered.* Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car.*

The Kennedy family began "calling in favors", ensuring that any inquiry would be contained.* Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted.* Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne and he didn't call police because he
was in a state of shock. It is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, and he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight.* Since the accident, Kennedy's "political enemies" have referred to him as the distinguished Senator from Chappaquiddick.* He pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, and was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF TWO MONTHS.* Kopechne's family received a small payout from the Kennedy's insurance policy, and never sued.* There was* later an effort to have her body exhumed and autopsied,* but her family* successfully fought against this in court, and* Kennedy's family* paid their attorney's bills.... a "token of* friendship"?

8.*** Kennedy has held his Senate seat for more than forty years, but considering his longevity, his accomplishments seem scant.* He authored or argued for legislation that ensured a variety of civil rights, increased the minimum wage in 1981, made access to health care easier for the indigent, and funded Meals on Wheels for fixed-income seniors and is widely held as the "standard-bearer for liberalism". In his very first Senate roll, he was the floor manager for the bill that turned U.S. immigration policy upside down and opened the floodgate for immigrants from third world countries.

9.*** Since that time, he has been the prime instigator and author of every expansion of an increase in immigration, up to and including the latest attempt to grant amnesty to illegal aliens..* Not to mention the pious grilling he gave the last two Supreme Court nominees, as if he was the standard bearer for the nation in matters of what's right.* What a pompous ***!

10.*** He was known around Washington as a public drunk, loud, boisterous and very disrespectful to ladies.* JERK is a better description than "great American".* A blonde in every pond is his motto.

Let's not allow the spin doctors make this jerk a hero -- how quickly the American public forgets what his real legacy is.
--

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Ted Kennedy was born into privilege, spent his political life working for those not so fortunate. His legacy at Chappaquiddick cannot be erased, and the family favors which likely hid the extent of his guilt does not lessen his culpability. Maybe it colors his entire legacy for some people. Whether or not he was drunk at the time, (as is widely assumed) and whether he actually tried to rescue Mary Jo there is no independent verification. In the 1964 plane crash, he wasn't the pilot: whether or not he was "legally drunk" is pretty irrelevant from a factual point of view, but quite helpful from a political point of view, another "flaw" his opponents could point to.
Finally, though, he spend 40 years in the Senate, and was party to a lot of legislature, not all of it purely liberal. Certainly people from both sides of the political aisle seem to be recalling him with praise, from Orrin Hatch to John Boehner to Michael Chertoff, and such words from people who worked with him indicate that as a politician he was accomplished if as a human he had his flaws.

Anyway, loud and boisterous is hardly a capital offense. And driving drunk, while quite appropriately frowned upon today, was much more widely accepted 40 years ago. None of this should excuse his actions, but neither should his personal life completely trump his accomplishments.

Just an observation. . .

·
Registered
56 Posts
I feel for sorry for his family, with that said, He was an enemy of everything i believe in. Good Ridden s.........

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tundrabay " Certainly people from both sides of the political aisle seem to be recalling him with praise, from Orrin Hatch to John Boehner to Michael Chertoff,"

because it's the in thing to do, it's political suicide to speak ill of a recently deceased sitting senator. They're just going through the motions. Do you think michael vick was sincere in his recent press conferences?

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Well I guess you have a point. On the other hand, one political opponent, Chertoff, who as one of Bush's appointees, had significant negotiations with Ted, actually voiced his praise and admiration in 2007. Pundits and non-politicians have been after him for years but those who worked with him less so. Anyway, I'm not trying to praise the man but rather observing that the criticism that someone is a jerk can neither negate his political influence nor rationalize opposing political views. The terms "well known to be something" and "widely assumed to be something else" are pure ammunition for vague attacks which don't really further the understanding of a man's legacy.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Some people will hate him and some will love him. He made some serious mistakes and made some serious advancements. I try to look at the overall record of any man or woman.

That family paid a heavy price for their political careers & positions and the time that they actually spent in their respective offices.

Many of them, especially the older rival US Senators ... were pretty good friends behind the scenes.

That friendship & rivalry syndrome was nurtured under Reagan .... ie .. Tip O'Neil & Reagan himself.
... They fought it out ... then broke bread together and would seek a compromise in their own parties favor.

SOS

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We're referring to the same guy that G.W. Bush tried to reconcile with by giving him the lead on No Child Left Behind, only to be stabbed in the back by him repeatedly, right?

I don't wish death on anyone, but his life wasn't so much public service, as it was ensconced in the legislature. I have never been impressed by career politicians who have no clue about what the public sector is about other than what they are told. Perhaps if he had done something other than run for office, he might have had a better appreciation for the 50% that pay 97% of the taxes.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
Good Post RamItOne.

As a young guy, you don't hear about some of those things very often.

He was a good at being a politician. You can't argue against that, but then again....do you really want to be a good politician?

I don't.

Glad the Kennedy family is out of politics.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like it or not, the Kennedys are an American institution of sorts. They are arguably the closest thing to a Royal Family the United States has ever had and they have certainly seen more than their share of triumph and tragedy. Love 'em or hate 'em they were/are part of our history and our culture. They helped make America America.

I was never a particulary big fan of Senator Ted Kennedy and I was much too young to understand the world when John and Bobby were around. But none of that changes the fact that the legacy of the Kennedy family will be studied by students of American history for centuries to come. There is no denying that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't get too excited lol Teds son is a congressman for the smallest state in the union.

Also right now they're trying to change the law in Mass, remember the crap that ensued after obamas senate seat was vacant and the govenor could appoint someone. Well they can't do that in massbut they're pushing to change that. Names are ranging from his wife to Michael dukakis. Remember him? Wonder if he still has that helmet. He'll never live that down.
The wife was at teds request as he said he wanted the seat to stay in the family as if it were a possesion. Talk about being full of yourself.

They really ought to make a two term in a row limit. Do 12 years then go out for the next 6 and re conncect with the people prove what you can do then be allowed to run for one more term. That's already more than I'd like, I'd rather see just 2 terms, honestly if you can't get your agenda done in just over a decade what good are you?

When will Texas secede? Got grain, cattle, oil, seaport and cheap labor to the south.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
6.*** On July 19, 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts .* At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker.* Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond.*
Poor Ted. If he had been driving a VW he might have been president, but that's water under the bridge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts