Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read up on how to solve dash rattle, and the general answer was to place a backer rod between the windshield and the dash.

What size backer rod? Where to get? Where to place?

The rattle on my dash is driving me crazy.:(

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
backer rod used in construction is usually a foam cell that comes in varying diameters/lengths, and is stuffed into spaces, cracks or gaps - you decide on the word, and then covered with a finish like grout or caulking. i'd assume you'd buy some backer rod at home depot to suit your needs and just stuff it into the space between your gap(s). don't worry about the finish look! if you stuff the crack proper, the meter maid might'nt be able to read the VIN!!!!!

sounds like a good call to me!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I used door weather stripping from AutoZone the smallest size they have(sorry I don't remember). It comes in a 10' roll. I read about the backer rod falling apart over time. I do not even notice the weather stripping and one side of it is sticky so theres no way for it to rattle out. I'd have to say that this was one mod worth doing; my truck is so quiet now.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you just shove it down in the crack between the windsheild and the dash?

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
That rattle is the most annoying thing I've ever heard. Sticking it between the windshield and dash didn't fix mine. If you remove the radio and look up toward the windshield, you will see where this rattle comes from. There is a gap that you will see daylight through. I crammed the stuff in, along the entire length of that gap until I couldn't see light anymore. I haven't heard that horrendous rattle in years now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts