Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 Tundra Limited AC 4.7L 2 wheel drive. Engine cranks but doesn't start until about the 2nd or 3rd struggle. It only happens when the ambient temp in the truck is warm, i.e. sitting in the sun all day on a cold day or hot day (windows cracked open or not). In the shade or garage it starts right up. I have replaced the fuel pump, filter and relay, plugs, air filter, cleaned MAF sensor, cleaned throttle body best I could. Running a consistent ~16 MPG. Excellent battery. Even went so far as to keep on charge overnight during freezing temps to maintain charge (I drive one way to work 18-20 mins tops). Runs like a champ once it starts. Co-worker tells me today that he thinks it smells rich when I start it next to his vehicle going home. 155000 miles. Have not changed timing belt. I'm stuck!!!

Update: used a piece of white cardboard next to tailpipe—-comes out clean. Not sure if it helps. Just something I remembered from years passed.
Could my timing or computer be going?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Early Hondas like the civic and crx would do this when the main fuse was on its way out. It was a big sucker. The heat would cause something to expand and the car wouldn't start but they always started once it cooled down in the evening. I just threw this out there because maybe Toyotas have that same big main fuse. I just changed my timing belt at 150k. Cam timing was still spot on. I would scan it and see if you have any pending codes. Something is on its way out, its just not bad enough to throw a hard code yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts