Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2007 Tundra has a few more months of warranty and there is a TSB regarding a replacemnt of drive belt & tensioner pulley on it. It's currently not making any noise however "who knows" since there MIGHT be a defective tensioner pulley in it.

According to Toyota, there is an "improved" tensioner pulley available as a fix & belt (per TSB).

Question is..should I bring it in for them to swap it out? Will they swap if there is no "noise" ???

Please advice.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Hi all,

My 2007 Tundra has a few more months of warranty and there is a TSB regarding a replacemnt of drive belt & tensioner pulley on it. It's currently not making any noise however "who knows" since there MIGHT be a defective tensioner pulley in it.

According to Toyota, there is an "improved" tensioner pulley available as a fix & belt (per TSB).

Question is..should I bring it in for them to swap it out? Will they swap if there is no "noise" ???

Please advice.
Normally they would not, but with all this recall going on you might be able to talk them into it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a couple ribs fly off my serpentine belt one day and found guys on here discussing the service bulletin but no one had the TSB number. I told the dealer I'd HEARD of a TSB for it but they couldn't find anything. Service rep. said the belt was just worn out so I'd have to replace it...told them "OK, thanks for the diagnosis...here's your $25 and I'll take the truck back to do the work myself." Before I picked it up they called back and said..."OK OK, we'll replace the belt for you as a goodwill gesture" so I said go for it. Got another call an hour later and they said they had broken the tensioner pulley while trying to replace it so they'd be replacing the whole assembly at no cost...and THEN mentioned that they'd FOUND the TSB for the tensioner pulley assembly. Convenient huh? :)

Anyway...for anyone who hasn't had the work done yet...it's TSB # "T-SB-0323-08"...or at least that's what it says on the sheet they printed for me. Also says "3UR-FE Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner." Description is "An improved accessory drive belt tensioner assembly has been developed to keep the tensioner pulley in alignment with the other pulleys." Makes their original "just a worn belt" sound awful fishy doesn't it? :) I hope this helps somebody out there!! Good luck!! -Evan

·
Registered
38 Posts
good info..I finally went to the dealer for the accelerator pedal.. and the advisor tells me that I need a new serpantine belt since mine is cracked.. ( Feb 2007 - 29500 miles) -- and they will replace it for $220... for a belt..

I just looked at it on the truck.. I see a couple of cracks.. but that is it.. no mention of any TSB.. ( and I concede that I am out of warranty now..) anybody replace this themselves? I am pretty handy with a wrench..

thanks!! Joe

·
Registered
107 Posts
good info..I finally went to the dealer for the accelerator pedal.. and the advisor tells me that I need a new serpantine belt since mine is cracked.. ( Feb 2007 - 29500 miles) -- and they will replace it for $220... for a belt..

I just looked at it on the truck.. I see a couple of cracks.. but that is it.. no mention of any TSB.. ( and I concede that I am out of warranty now..) anybody replace this themselves? I am pretty handy with a wrench..

thanks!! Joe
Yeppers and it was a biatch, did it by myself in my condo parking lot :td:.
Wish I had the extra pair of hands. Also, don't forget the tensioner is mounted to the block via a hidden allen bolt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
One more thing, I went through 2 belts before taking it in. David Maus dealership in Lake Mary, FL says I need a new tensioner pulley. I bought it and a new belt to install myself because they wanted too much to install. I am at 65k and well out of my warranty.

I love the truck, but hate the measly warranty. Complete bull ****e.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
One more thing, I went through 2 belts before taking it in. David Maus dealership in Lake Mary, FL says I need a new tensioner pulley. I bought it and a new belt to install myself because they wanted too much to install. I am at 65k and well out of my warranty.

I love the truck, but hate the measly warranty. Complete bull ****e.
davis maus is a douche.. anyways

yes get your tensioner done,, tell them you heard a bearing type noise and you were told of tensioner issues and a tsb for it from your local mechanic... they shouldn't change any more labor to change the belt,, they have to take the damn belt off to change the tensioner..

a lot of the time we will do a belt, it will come back shredded from the tensioner a week later,, seems when you tweek the tensioner to loosen the belt its screws up the spring/alignment... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had the tensioner pulley and belt replaced hoping it would solve the noise in the videos below. Unfortunately it did not. Never found out what this noise was after a few trips to the dealer.

Even switched to 0W20 synthetic to see if that would help (was using 5W20 dino). Nope.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well for what it's worth, I just changed my belt due to cracking. It is not making any noises at all. I guess I am riding on borrowed time before it fails??? We shall see.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Toyota parts are different I'm sure......

But, I had to replace a couple tensioners on the Dakota because they wore out
at the pivot bolt. That threw the pulley out of alignment and caused the squeaking.

Also, I've had a number of mechanics tell me that serpentine belts need replacement only when chunks of the ribs are gone or it obviously starts disintegrating. The little cracks are normal and meaningless.
Two belts in 623,000 miles seem to bear this out.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Two serpentine belts (one replaced because I used Belt Dressing and ruined it) in 623,000 miles.

The little cracks are perfectly normal. The time to replace the serpentine belt is when chunks of the ribs are missing.

What usually causes the squeaking is the tension arm wearing out at the pivot bolt and throwing the pulley out of alignment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 07 recently started making alot of noise (possibly b/c of the cold weather) with only 47K on the clock. i am going to replace the tensioner and belt myself. Ordered the gator belt, but not the tensioner yet. What are you DIY guys using for the tensioner? (dayco, AC Delco, Toyota, etc)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts