Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

At 60,000 miles or so I started to notice a front end shimmy at 65 mph. Thought it was my tires as they didnt have much tread left. So got them balanced and checked front end alignment. It didnt fix it, and Belle tire said alignment was dead on.

So today, I put on new E-rated Mich 275/65/18 MS2 tires (by the way I love them...very quiet...nice ride), and THAT still didnt fix it. I was sure they were bad tires somehow, maybe separating or something.

So if alignment is good, and tires are new...whats the deal? The store did say that my front shocks are leaking. But I dont know if that could result in a front end shimmy at 65 mph, but not at other speeds?

Man...help me out guys?

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
The front shocks certainly won't help. Make sure that the lugs are all at the proper torque especially if you have alloy wheels. Uneven tightening will cause problems.
Did they rotate the tires??? It could still be one bad tire. Older tires will do that sometimes even with a decent balance job.
Did they have the proper hub to balance them?? It could be a bad balance job.
Alignment?? I don't think that is very likely.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I had a Ford van that would start to shimmy at 60mph. Turned out to be the shocks. Started doing it again 40K later - shocks again. If your shocks are leaking, I would change them right away anyway. Could kill 2 birds with one stone ??????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also may want to keep in mind a bent wheel. I would try rotating the wheels one more time to the back to verify whether or not it is the tires or wheels, if its still there I would go to the shocks next.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some ideas to consider.

Warped rotors- you would feel this mainly during braking

Not enough preload in front hub, or hub going bad.

Driveshaft? You feel it in the steering wheel or floorboard?

Did they give you a print out with the alignment?

Worn Ball Joints or tie rod ends? All can be greased with a needle injector on your regular greese gun.

Also, take it some where else and have the tires re balanced with a Hunter Road Force machine. The machine puts a load on the tire while it is being balanced and checks run out, etc... I have ran into places that had problems with there balance machines or technicians that didn't know what they were doing.

Also a lot of places do not stock the correct weights for every wheel style, so they end up using the wrong weights and they come off.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Have you done some off-roading recently? A big clump of mud stuck to one of the front axles would cause it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tires new. The old tires and these tires both had same shimmy at about 65mph. Terrible shaking in front end which shakes the steering wheel in my hands and the entire front of the truck.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Is it 4wd??? Maybe a front wheel bearing or CV joint??
Both are very rare but anything is possible I suppose.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LT275/65/18 120/123 10E MI LTX M/S 2 tire...to be exact.

Anyhow, they got it straightened out. One of the tires was out of round. Replaced. Rebalanced (w their best guy). Now smooth. Thanks.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Thanks for coming back and updating. Glad they got it resolved but I wonder why it shimmied before you got new tires if it was caused by a new tire being out of round.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah...that point bothers me too... I do notice my fronts struts are leaking and wonder how much new struts would help dampen steering wheel feedback...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...here is the deal...even when I thought I had it balanced perfectly, it still would shimmy when I hit rough road or bumps...I just couldnt believe that a leaking front strut could be the cause. I thought there just HAD to be something else going on...But I just had the front struts done and now it is tight again and drives like new. So, if you can see oil on the front shocks (mine was caked black we gue), then replace them.

I searched the net and found Monroe Sensatrack 71119 shocks at strutmasters for 73 bucks each. Had a guy with a little garage do them both for only 70 bucks. Took him about an hour and a half. After seeing him do it (I held the light), I would say its not tough if you are mechanically astute. It would have taken me all day though I guess. You have to be pretty familiar with the process or you might feel a bit shy to exert some of the leverage he had use to get the shock into place or removed at the bottom. After having watched him do it I am sure I could do it now. But I would still pay him 70 to do it for me!

BTW, I bought bendix ceramic brake shoes for the front and he did them at the same time. The shoes were 65 bucks and it took him no more than 10 minutes on each wheel for that part. Again, I am sure now that I could do it. Its easy. I could easily explain the process if anyone cares to know. I got the brake pads at H&H wheel service. After having watched the process I plan to do the rears myself when they need it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Make sure you get an alignment after replacing those struts. You don't want to ruin those new tires.....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I HAVE SHIMMY AS YOU DESCRIBE, AT 50-60 SMOOTH AS GLASS. At 65-75 steering wheel shakes back and forth A LITTLE. Tires are MICH AT/2 and 18,000 miles on them. 2 years with bilstein shocks. This shimmy was noticed with stock tires and no lift shocks as well. This seems common. I had tires rebalanced and rotated again and at every 5000 miles. shimmy STILL THERE but not all the time.

Starting to notice shimmy when breaking now as well, but I know this might be start of rotor situation. I HAD DEALER CHECK breaks and only 1/2 gone up front with 39,000 miles on them. My concern is shimmy when cruising at 65-70 without breaking. If speed limit was 55, driving would be smooth as glass!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was told by two diff mechanics that strut replacement will not affect the alignment. And after seeing it done I agree it doesnt affect those adjustments. Plus, the truck tracks straight as an arrow. It didnt cause any change in that regard. However, it didnt stop sears from trying to sell an alignment to me when they quoted ...but the sears mechanic told me it was BS...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for posting back the results. I'm going to look at my shocks now since I have the same issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts