Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: So long before I bought my '03 Tundra AC 4x4 I did a bunch of research and based on what I read I was under the impression that these trucks normally got 16/17 mpg in city driving. Granted those with heavy feet or big lifts and tires are not going to get that but I'm not one of those. Driving my truck like a Grandpa keeping it under 3K rpm I'm lucky to get 13mpg in city driving. To my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the truck, I have no check engine lights on and all things seem fine.
Based on things I've read I could possibly need to replace my cats or o2 sensors or MAP sensor or get injectors clean or all of thee above. I really have no idea what could be wrong but throwing money into replacing parts when you don't know what's bad is just retarded. For he** sakes I could be driving a 3/4 ton truck and get this kind of mileage or better.....
So I'm hoping that some of you here may know what could be causing this, I've only had this truck a few weeks but I'm ready to bite the bullet and trade it in...
So I've also been considering running some injector cleaner through for the next few tanks but I've always considered that stuff to be snake oil..

·
Registered
756 Posts
If it were me I'd clean the maf sensor, throttle body and get a new paper air filter. Make sure your tires are inflated correctly and the rear brakes are not dragging. That's about all you can do. I get around 14.5 in my 05 4x4 dc. Doesn't really matter where I drive it's always the same unless towing. Good luck and if you need help just do a search, these topics have been beaten to death.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear brakes are not draging, but I will look into cleaning the MAF and TB.. Not really sure how "one" cleans a MAF but I guess it must be explained here?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
You do realize I won't be the last, and sometimes search results can take hours to dig through to find an answer unless you luck out..
That's why it helps to learn how to do a search. Start narrowing your search terms, subforums, etc. so you don't add to the problem for the next guy.

FWIW, most guys here are getting 16-18 highway, and probably 13-15 city, without traffic, towing, hills, heavy foot, etc. If mileage is that important to you, then a truck might not be your vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh, well for all the crap people give about Dodges getting bad mileage I was under firm belief this would be better than my 02 RAM 1500 QC 4x4. Well to my dismay I was/am sadly mistaken, my RAM always pulled better than 15 in town and down the hwy 19. I'm going to seriously miss my big RAM now, it had more space and got better mileage. All the hype about Toyota's is just that HYPE... it's too bad and sux for me as I'm now stuck with it for a while at least. After this I'm getting what I should have got, a nice Chevy Silverado..........

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
You do realize I won't be the last, and sometimes search results can take hours to dig through to find an answer unless you luck out..
So why are you being lazy?? Apparently you do not like doing your own research. If you bought a 7 year old used truck, chances are it is going to need some work. So before talking smack, thoroughly inspect your vehicle and perform whatever maintenance required and you may just be surprised.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i agree with the guy. it's a forum for newbies to Tundras to learn.

however, he is asking for others to tell him the answers to multiple procedures = not cool, use the search.

p.s. my mileage is between 13-16 no matter where/what. and i've done everything except the TB cleaning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap what a POS forum... I'm on several other forums for dirt bikers and I've never seen so many worthless members.... Forums are here for people to ask questions and hopefully get answers. Sure you're going to see a lot of the same questions asked over and over. There are 2 ways these can be handled.
A) forum members can be helpful and assist when possible
B) forum members can be A$$hats and respond with - do a search and piss off, kinda like you all are doing...
Well done A-hats!

·
Banned
1,363 Posts

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
Holy crap what a POS forum... I'm on several other forums for dirt bikers and I've never seen so many worthless members.... Forums are here for people to ask questions and hopefully get answers. Sure you're going to see a lot of the same questions asked over and over. There are 2 ways these can be handled.
A) forum members can be helpful and assist when possible
B) forum members can be A$$hats and respond with - do a search and piss off, kinda like you all are doing...
Well done A-hats!
As whitey posted above, you already posted the same question earlier and got helpful responses. What happened to that? Did you follow any of the advice? If you did, you sure as hell didn't post back the results to the earlier thread.

All you're doing is *****ing about how bad your truck is. I strongly suggest you sell your Tundra, buy yourself a Chevy, and go be a PITA to them on one of their forums. You've about blown it for yourself here...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gee that really hurts guys,,,,,think I will go cry now..... bwahahaha
Fact is I did follow some of the advice, the stuff that made sense and applicable at least, nothing helped. All I wanted was more to go on, instead all Ive gotten is garbage and attitude.........
Holy F how hard is it to answer a question???

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Here Katoo....I posted this on another thread but it seems appropriate here but I have a 2009 4x4 DC.... I regularly get 18 city and 21 highway with a 4x4 and underseat storage loaded with the usual junk. After # 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 wait 3 or 4 tankfulls for the ECU to adjust the fuel delivery before calculating milage. Here's the final word on milage:

1. Open the air intake box, install a aFE Pro Dry-S permanent air filter. Better air flow, better filtering, washable. The last filter you'll ever need. Clean it at every oil change. BTW, these trucks already come with a cold air intake, you don't need a Volant, aFE, etc. Just use a better filter. Result, ~1 to 1.5 mpg improvement.

2. If you're in Calif, Mass, NY close it back up because the fascists in those states "know what's good for you". Otherwise pry the charcoal filter out, right above the air filter. Its "purpose" is to prevent any gas fumes from backing up into the atmosphere. Ridiculous. Result, ~.5 to 1 mpg improvement.

3. With the stock tires, inflate the front to 38 psi and the rear tires to 36 psi. Result ~1 to 1.5 mpg improvement.

4. If at all possible find a place that sells straight gasoline, not the E10 ethanol crap. And use the best grade of gas you can afford (I know that's controversial but I get 1.5 mpg better with 93 octane). If you RTFM and you have a flex fuel rig like me you'll see ethanol 85 will drop your milage in half because its not as powerful as gasoline. The E10 will also cost you mpg. Even the 89 octane will make a difference. When going uphill with a load in the back, with 87 octane the truck will downshift because the gas isn't giving enough energy for the load on the engine. Step up to 89 or 93. Possible ~1 to 2 mpg improvement or better.

5. Try and use only big name gas, Shell, BP, Exxon, Mobil, etc. Avoid Uncle Bob's Gas and Go, Betty's Burrito's and Fuelo's, etc. They will sometimes buy gas that's old or stale and they get a discount for that. Especially avoid those places if they are off the beaten path. Who knows how long the gas has sat in their tanks soaking up moisture.

6. Start replacing fluids with synthetics. They are more "slippery" and also will not break down as fast as dino. Maybe a .5 mpg improvement.

7. If you want to squeeze another .25 mpg consider opening the spark gap NO MORE THAN .005" more - the setting would be ~.049". You might see .25 to .5 mpg improvement, maybe not.

8. COAST when possible. Any slight downhill area you should remove your foot from the gas pedal.

9. Don't accelerate uphill, just maintain and slowly decelerate if possible. When accelerating keep it well under 2k rpm. If no one is behind you and its level ground, just let the truck pick up speed by itself until you can't stand it anymore then give it a touch of pedal.

9. Use cruise control where feasible, flat ground, etc.

10. Keep it at 60 to 65 mph.

Remember this big 5.7 will loaf along at 65 but pushing 5300+ lbs uphill or away from a stop will gobble the fuel.

This thread is now closed. End of story.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
My driving is mainly city with a little highway thrown in and I generally get
about 13-14 MPG. In the winter it drops a little. I've gone on a few trips
that were all highway and I got around 20 MPG on those trips. I use the
cruise control whenever possible and generally keep it under 70 MPH on the
highway.

My truck is a 2002 with 102K miles on it and is very well maintained. I changed
the plugs some time last year and also cleaned the throttle body and MAF
sensor.

John

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
good info except our hero has an o3 4.7! and the spark plugs gap on this engine is .032"+ .005 = ????
Yup and I did mention I had a 09. Adjust the gap from spec by no more than .005" I'd bet most plugs are not even close to spec.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I gotta weigh in here, I have spent hours doing searches for photos only to find they are NO LONGER HERE.

I also agree that it is a forum, searching can be helpful, but very time consuming as well.

As a supporter of the forum, I feel we should all try to help rather than the STF response, why even take the time to respond to that? On the other side, this guy has a chip on his shoulder because of his expectations on fuel economy & is looking for help. I know how he feels, I have 2 friends with 2002's and they get 15-17 around town doing no mods at all--go figure.

For the record, I get 12-14 no matter how I drive on my 03 Access Cab, even with 44lb air pressure.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'm on several other forums for dirt bikers and I've never seen so many worthless members.

Well done A-hats!
Wow, your mommy must not have hugged you enough as a child to have all this pent-up rage.:( Hang in there champ!:tu: FWIW, you can use the Advanced Search to significantly reduce the number of results you get.
Regards,
Worthless A$$hat

1 - 20 of 60 Posts