Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new member and previous 2gen 4runner owner here. I've been looking for the right replacement vehicle recently.

I took a 2000 Tundra for a test drive and had some concerns, was wondering if they are deal breakers or not:

- Frame seems ok, I can pull off little chunks with my fingers but nothing going through

- In Park I had the owner floor it just momentarily, and on the return to idle the motor had a slight shudder and dip in rpm before stabilising at idle, what is that?

- Trying to engine brake on hills at normal speeds causes the rpms to go pretty high, like 4000, seems kinda weak, or normal for this vehicle?

- There seems to be a slight "miscommunication" between the engine and tranny going into passing gear, ie slightly late

- There's airbag suspension installed in the rear, I deflated them to 16 psi on a freeway, and noticed a marked increase in front end vibration. I understand this is endemic to these vehicles?

- Also noticed a low thunking/rotating type sound at speed. Owner says he replaced wheel bearings though.

-Uneven tire wear driver's side front, pulls to the right slightly.

Other than that the truck shows regular wear for 211km, chipped paint etc. T-belt/water pump service never done as far as I can determine :O

Sorry for the long post! I feel like I have to lowball the guy, or not make an offer. He's asking 8800 CA

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know what it is exactly you drove for comparison but checking Auto Trader they have 29 from $5000 to $15900 (2000/2001), most in the 11000 - 12000 range. Get it inspected at Toyota and go from there. If everything is good in their books then it seems a decent deal. Remember you can't compare prices across the boarder and what comes standard on Canadian trucks is different sometimes. Some guys with early Tundra's should be able to help out on your specific concerns.
Good luck, they are great trucks.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
Sounds to me like there are quite a few little gremlins to chase down on that one. Hunting out a vibration can be a cast-iron pain. The transmission symptom would be a deal-breaker for me all by itself. Plus, if it's a 4.7L, the timing belt is beyond due at 125,000 miles. There's another $500-$700 out of pocket. And I would never be a new owner of a vehicle with rust. I couldn't stand knowing that I had metal "flaking" off my truck. That's just me.

That group would give me serious pause.

I'd find another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies guys. I'm in agreement too, especially with the gremlins metaphor. Sadly there is sweet FA in this neck of the woods for comparison, except some 05-06's for $16k+-. I really like the design of the thing, more than the f-150's of the same price range, but I don't want to insult the guy by lowballing...

Another thing now that I've been looking, there are very few of these 00's on the road here, much less than the 2nd gen 4runners which are everywhere it seems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts