Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I went to a local Toyota dealership yesterday. My wife and I decided to test drive a new 2007 Double Cab 4X4 Tundra with a 4.7l engine. I sold my old truck and I’m looking to buy another truck. We are considering buying a Tundra or a Tacoma. I looking for a truck that will get over 17 mpg avg. though. I have several friends that are getting 17mpg with their older tundras.
Our opinions:
1. Exterior fit and finish were above average
2. Turning radius was great
3. Power to weight was good—more than enough power for my uses
4. I didn’t like the heater knobs—felt like cheap plastic—also the additional small compartments could have been better but the other interior features were more than acceptable. My wife really like the inside space(room) of the truck.
5. The suspension was bouncy, especially over the railroad tracks. The suspension was soft but very comfortable.
6. Road/Wind noise was average
We reset the trip button and drove the truck for approximately 10 miles with a 50/50 mixed driving. When we returned to the dealership, I checked the avg. mpg. I was shocked what the reading was. It was only 8.1 mpg!!! I know this isn’t a good test for mpg but I never expected the fuel consumption to be so high.
Overall, I would consider buying a new tundra if it wasn’t the fuel mileage issue. So I’m very curious what kind of mpg others new 2007 tundra owners are getting in the real world.
Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
if you want better mpg's go with the 5.7 dont know exactly what the numbers are but I know there better, bigger engine means less work which equals less gas consumption.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My 5.7L 4x4 Dcab longbed gets better mileage than the wife's 2001 4.7L 2WD Sequoia. The newer technology in the 5.7 really comes together for mileage at average drive speeds. However, if you hot dog the 5.7 your mileage will drop significantly. That Sequoia comparison was a side by side traveling on a 600-mile trip. Mileage threads and mileage numbers are available on TS, all you have to do is search.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mileage threads and mileage numbers are available on TS, all you have to do is search.
Okay,
I already spent one hour looking and I didn't find any information on the 4.7l mpg---2007 trucks.
The dealership said that the 5.7l would average about 1/2 more mpg because of the 6 speed transmission in most situations. So far the numbers for the 5.7l are ranging from 11 to 20 with the average about 15 mpg.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
We reset the trip button and drove the truck for approximately 10 miles with a 50/50 mixed driving. When we returned to the dealership, I checked the avg. mpg. I was shocked what the reading was. It was only 8.1 mpg!!! I know this isn’t a good test for mpg but I never expected the fuel consumption to be so high.
Obviously that number is wrong.

That really is a misleading test of fuel economy for a number of reasons -- the vehicle computer may not accurately calculate gas mileage over such a short distance for one thing (usually there is a 3-5% margin of error with a trip odo anyways, but without knowing how the mpg software was written, it's hard to say if it compensates or not or if it's even on calculating the same way). Second, and much more importantly, you were driving a truck with a brand new engine. No break-in, plus the engine management system is still calibrating the truck. It takes about 3000 miles to see "good" fuel economy with a new V8, and it will take your engine management software at least 100 miles to calibrate your engine and start operating at peak efficiency.

If it was me, I would take that 8.1mpg number and remove it from my mind. It's obviously very wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts