Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Test drove an 07 DC 4x2

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  nirion 
#1 ·
Test drove an 07 DC 5.7 4x2

Rather than writing paragraph after paragraph comparing the 06 to the 07, I'll post some pics and do positive/negative on the 07. Here's the pics:

Positives:
* Huge elbow room compared to the 06 DC
* Drives more like an American truck, "looser" if you will
* Comfortable, high driving position
* Looks a little better in person than in pics
* Awesome center console to store things
* Nice tranny, especially at low speeds through town
* Very nice seats
* Great front view, huge windshield

Negatives:
* I'm 6' tall, and in my driving position, there is absolutely NO leg room in the back. Check out the picture. There is NO comparison between this and the 06 DC as far as rear room goes. I was HIGHLY disappointed. I'd say two 6' passengers would get nautious after 20 minutes. Fine for kids.
* The plastic on the center console, the interior of the center console, and a lot of the dash is as cheap looking as the Nissan plastics. The center console felt and looked like junk.
* This truck is in big need of overfenders. It looks lost without them. The buldging fenders help, but not as attractive as the 06 with overfenders
* The interior doors and handles are very cheap looking
* The Tundra logo is too far back on the door
* The hook reminds me of a "swine's nose", short, high, and fat
* Drives more like an American truck, "looser". You feel more foreign stiffness in the 06 for some reason. Not as well "buttoned up"
* Wheels aren't as nice as the upgraded wheels on the 06
* Impressive gas mileage if it's real world for a 5.7
* Massive chrome bumper is too big and low. It needs something along the sides and rear to even it out. Seems front heavy.
* Goofy shifter. I prefer a column shifter.
* Did I mention the back seat? Absolutely a deal breaker to say the least. Call it an Access Cab and I'll retract my statement. ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
the real question is , what is that white stuff on the ground? I have never seen it before. lol

Did the dealership say when they expected to get the crew maxs in?

I have always thought it was a tweener. More room then the access cab but less than the double cab.

I dont care what they call it, it is between the two

#5 ·
Just chiming in with what I found today...
I went and looked several over today, and I had the same impression about the cheap looking plastic parts inside.
The instruments are a bit awkward: you have to be at the right angle to view the fuel etc.
I was quite distracted by the several salesmen trying to push information down my throat while I looked it over.
I wish they would just figure out that if you give a person time to look and think, it is better in the long run. But NOOO they have to PUSH to get a sale started.
I finally ran across a salesman I knew, he bailed me out and allowed me free reign to "Browse"
I think the solution for the overchromed front end is to color code the grill, but have the bumpers chromed. The color coded grill I saw in the reg cab looked nice and not as overwealming. It is STILL a funky looking front end.
The tailgate is too cool, my 7 year old can open it and CLOSE it. I like that.
The center console options seem awkward with exception to the one integrated into the functional bench seat. There is a reasonable storage space under the seat, and flipping down the rear of the center seat provides MORE storage. I see potential there.
I really don't get the cup holders low in the door, but for unopened items that space works, but wouldnt a cooler in the back work a bit better for refreshments? ;)
The motor is what it is, a big honkin aluminum monster wedged between wheel wells with inches to spare.:tu:
I like it as long as I dont have to work on it...lol
They had no limiteds available so I have to go back when those roll in. No 4x4's either.

#6 ·
Have to agree with most everything said in this post. I will say that when I went and looked at the 07 DC I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be overall.

Like an earlier post, I am more a fan of the column shifter. I guess it's like coke & pepsi because you still have plenty of room. Love the tailgate. Can put it up and down with damn near one finger!

I got my 06 DC when I knew they were changing the design for 07. If I had waited till now I probably would just have gone with the DC 07 instead of the CrewMax since the 07 DC is only about 3 inches shorter than my 06 DC and I don't have any children anyway.

That being said, I don't regret my 06 double cab for one second because I love the room in the back (or at least my passengers do), but I am more impressed than I thought I would be with the new 07 line. Dealer said CrewMax coming in March?

Oh well, still love my truck, but can't wait to see some of these new Tundras hitting the road. :)

#7 ·
I was in for an oil change and was checking one out didn't sit in it but it reminded me of a Nissan too and from what the sales guy told me that it was the access cab with the doors hinged in front and there is a larger 4 door (didn't see that one)

What did make me laugh is that when I walked up to the truck there were like 5 sales guys trying to figure out how to remove the tailgate so after they all left i asked the one guy left if I could give it a shot which it came off pretty easy SIMILAR TO ANY OTHER TAILGATE haha and they sent these guys to a class about the new truck LOL HAHAHA

looked pretty sharp but will take some time to get used to the new look custom ones (lowered or lifted) should look nice

I like my 06 AC V6 :)

#8 ·
I have no idea why the are calling it a double cab. It doesn't look like a double cab or for that matter as pointed out earlier, seat like a double cab. Toyota should simply stick to the standard cab, access cab, and double cab names. Calling this truck a double cab is silly. BTW good observations and pictures

Ryan

#9 ·
I have no idea why the are calling it a double cab. It doesn't look like a double cab or for that matter as pointed out earlier, seat like a double cab. Toyota should simply stick to the standard cab, access cab, and double cab names. Calling this truck a double cab is silly. BTW good observations and pictures

Ryan
I agree. This is what happens when marketing guys get involved. Instead of everyone saying "hey, this access cab sure has a lot more room" they're saying "hey, this double cab doesn't have as much room as my 06".

#10 ·
S.n.a.f.u.

I agree. This is what happens when marketing guys get involved. Instead of everyone saying "hey, this access cab sure has a lot more room" they're saying "hey, this double cab doesn't have as much room as my 06".
The guy at Toyota who decided to call this truck a "double cab" should be fired immediately. This 07 DC, had it been named an access cab, would have done wonders for "access cab" buyers. People would have been raving about the rear seat room. Instead, they are complaining about the double cab's lack of it. To top it off, now there's the issue of the "true" double cab not having a full bed.

Toyota gives the 07 Tundra a new meaning to SNAFU.

#11 ·
Re: S.n.a.f.u.

The guy at Toyota who decided to call this truck a "double cab" should be fired immediately. This 07 DC, had it been named an access cab, would have done wonders for "access cab" buyers. People would have been raving about the rear seat room. Instead, they are complaining about the double cab's lack of it. To top it off, now there's the issue of the "true" double cab not having a full bed.

Toyota gives the 07 Tundra a new meaning to SNAFU.
I agree, the guys on this site have it all figured out, but the average truck buyer will just say, "it's not as big as the old one, or the chev I looked at"

#12 ·
Toyota appears to be sizing to more of a Dodge Ram standard than a Ford or Chevy standard.

Regular cab = regular cab
Double cab = Quad Cab
Crex Max = Mega Cab

I had a 2003 Ram 2500 Quad Cab and I would say the 07 Double Cab compares very closely in size. I do agree that the naming should have remained, so people didn't say how small the new double cab is compared to 06.

Either way, the 07 is sweet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.