Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Toyota Certificate of Origin to my county tax assessor/collector today to get my new license plates and pay my sales tax on the vehicle. The C of O shows a shipping weight of 5,645lb and a GVWR 7,200, the difference being 1,555 lbs. The tax office dingbat's computer kept telling her it had to be a 3/4 ton. She went to the back office for a long time where apparently they were calling the Texas DOT for clarification. DOT told her Toyota doesn't make any new 3/4 tons. Well, you know how a dingbat can get hung up on a computer input screen. We even called my dealer and the sales manager told her it was a half-ton but a high-capacity one. I know that technically a 1/2 ton equals 1,000 lbs and 3/4 tons equals 1,500 lbs but she must be doing something wrong here. She juggled some numbers around and gave me my plates declaring that since I was getting farm plates my future annual registration fees wouldn't be affected. What about the next guy? So in the end I don't know if my title will list the truck with a 3/4 ton rating or a 1/2 ton rating. I'll have to wait and see when it comes in the mail.

Any other new Tundra owners run into something like this?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The dealer did my registration for me at time of delivery. I was going from a 2500HD Silverado that cost $110 per year for tags. It was considered a commercial farm vehicle here in Florida. But the new Tundra tags went down to $45 a year. Dealer said its definitley a 1/2 ton truck.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Well, the nomenclature of "1/2-ton", "3/4-ton", "1-ton", etc., came from a loooong time ago and indicated how much the truck could tow. Trucks today can tow much more than that and the nomenclature is no longer accurate. So, really, there's no such thing as a "1/2-ton", "3/4-ton", "1-ton", etc. anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
My "1/2 ton" '00 Tundra carries 3/4 ton of anything in the bed quite well.

My father-in-law's "3/4 ton" F-250 carries two tons of cattle feed in sacks in the bed quite well.

And, a "one ton" Dodge 3500 carried three tons of stone to my house, from California to New Mexico, without a whimper.

The terms "1/2 ton", "3/4 ton", and "one ton" are names, not descriptions, and they are misleading names at best.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well, the nomenclature of "1/2-ton", "3/4-ton", "1-ton", etc., came from a loooong time ago and indicated how much the truck could tow. Trucks today can tow much more than that and the nomenclature is no longer accurate. So, really, there's no such thing as a "1/2-ton", "3/4-ton", "1-ton", etc. anymore.
Kinda like engineers here in the year 2007 figuring the power of a 5.7-liter DOHC EFI V8, 32-valve aluminum block with aluminum alloy head with Dual VVT-i....and using "horse power" as a measuring stick for what it will do.

Kinda funny, if you think about it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It may not mean anything, but it's still referenced in many states for registration purposes. Many 1/2 ton trucks could fall under the heavier duty 3/4 ton classification. Just depends on how sharp and anal the person doing the registration is. Most clerks just go by the numbers (1500, 150, etc.) and register it accordingly. Since the Tundra doesn't have any numbers associated with it's name, this might send people looking at the real numbers.....

They really should be using the Federal EPA standards which is based on GVWR. Anything through 7,999# is a light-duty vehicle.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
skinny2; They really should be using the Federal EPA standards which is based on GVWR. Anything through 7 said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

8,000 and up is still considered a light duty pickup; just the heavy duty version of a light duty truck when using the class system. I think class 4 and up are MD's and perhaps 7 and up are HD's. A 10,000 GVWR F-350 is still considered a light duty truck, just a HD light duty. And yes the EPA emission break point was 6,000 lb in the late 70's and then 8,099 and I have heard it is 8,599 lb now 8,600 is what most new true 3/4 tons list as GVWR. The EPA's labels don't match the trucking industry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
8600 lbs is the break for fuel economy and safety regs. Usually anything considered a 3/4 ton HD is >8600 and 3/4 ton light duty is <8600 lbs. Some states have another break between 3/4 ton and 1 ton, but that varies between state and I don't know if they go off of GVWR or just vehicle name.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I took my Toyota Certificate of Origin to my county tax assessor/collector today to get my new license plates and pay my sales tax on the vehicle. The C of O shows a shipping weight of 5,645lb and a GVWR 7,200, the difference being 1,555 lbs. The tax office dingbat's computer kept telling her it had to be a 3/4 ton. She went to the back office for a long time where apparently they were calling the Texas DOT for clarification. DOT told her Toyota doesn't make any new 3/4 tons. Well, you know how a dingbat can get hung up on a computer input screen. We even called my dealer and the sales manager told her it was a half-ton but a high-capacity one. I know that technically a 1/2 ton equals 1,000 lbs and 3/4 tons equals 1,500 lbs but she must be doing something wrong here. She juggled some numbers around and gave me my plates declaring that since I was getting farm plates my future annual registration fees wouldn't be affected. What about the next guy? So in the end I don't know if my title will list the truck with a 3/4 ton rating or a 1/2 ton rating. I'll have to wait and see when it comes in the mail.

I guess the State of Texas has decided this is a 3/4 ton truck! I picked up my plates today from the dealer, and sure enough the 3/4 ton box was marked off. Texas doen't go by GVW in accessing tax rates anymore. But do charge more for a 3/4 ton truck. Mine was 105.00 almost double my '04. I thought at first this was because I bought the truck in Travis County (Austin) but live in Burnet county.I went to the Burnet county office and they could only tell me to contact the dealer and check the title, which will be interesting to see. I am going to call my dealer tomarrow, hopefully he can enlighten me.

But I have been perplexed in the past with Texas's registration fees.IE my '02 prerunner was double the rate of my '04 Tundra, but this doen't explain why my wifes '03 Corolla was slightly more than my '04 tundra last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The C of O shows a shipping weight of 5,645lb and a GVWR 7,200...

Yes. In New York this is a problem. I have been looking at the new Tundras and Silverados as a replacement for my good ole' T100. :D
The 5.7L DC 4x4 short bed is overweight for "passenger" plates (5500lb limit in NY)
"Passenger" plates allow you to drive on many parkways in NY... sometimes a pain to get around if you have "commercial" plates preventing you from driving on the parkways.

My local dealer has a bunch of 5.7L DC 4x4s sitting around likely because of this. The 07 4.7L DC trucks are selling like hotcakes. I like the new Tundra mostly for the 5.7L drivetrain. Now this registration issue has me looking at the Silverados more seriously.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a 2wd dbl cab shipped up to LI from, TX.

Hopefully I'll register it here soon, (need more paperwork for NY DMV of course..):rolleyes:

TX plates look awful nice on it right now...:cool:

Wonder if the local dealers still want MSRP...

Maybe I'll buy an oil filter from them....

Look forward to Napa making them soon I hope...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts