Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once you're approved through one dealership, what's involved when switching to another dealer? Do they run your credit again?

I've already switched once, and found out that the original approval was pending. Now it is fully approved, but the dealership made a convenient error with the price (partly my fault too) and a truck that was pending delivery is now delayed.

Thinking about changing dealers again, but concerns about the approval and also their competitive trade value are making me hesitate...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Track down JMSinMD, I think he works for 'em

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Unless you get a pre approval letter (something I've never heard TFS do) they will have to run your credit again. It doesn't have as large an impact on your FICO if your credit is run within a certain time period. I'm not as much on the financing side as the repo side :angrywife:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jon, in that case I will try to make it work with this dealer or just walk away. I am growing weary of this process by this point!

ha ha not that interesting, unfortunately. :) I am working with what seems to be a new sales rep over the internet. I explained multiple times starting from the first email that I had been approved for the 0%, and that I wanted his best price on the truck bearing that in mind.

So the genius proceeds to quote me a price that includes the $2,500 rebate... :rolleyes: Should have known better when he said a $50,000+ MSRP truck was $44,158 plus a decent offer on my trade, plus the 0%. So without the rebate, they want $47,000. Not bad, but not knocking my socks off, either. I think it's around invoice.

I would have normally chalked it up to plain old dishonesty, but some of the other proceedings just lead me to believe that he is bumbling around...

·
Registered
274 Posts
call TFS. im agreeing that your buying from Toyota not that dealer so you should be approved for any dealer. but at the same time hard pulling your credit over and over will pull your FICO down. especially if the dealer is doing what is called "shotgunning" your credit. they take your app and run it to everyone that lends on the planet. if you go to another dealer and they do the same, over and over, online apps it WILL take your score down, sometimes significantly.

when i buy i only deal with the internet people and when im at the dealer i go to the F/I dept and point blank and tell them i only want my app ran to the dealers most competitive banks, not twenty places to see what sticks. i will tell them i only authorize them to do that and have never had an issue. bottom line if they are jerking you around on a 40k vehicle is that the right dealer for you? wouldn't be for me, id walk and approach the deal at a later time. ten bucks says the sales mgr or gm chases you out the door lol.

good luck

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a repeat and current TFS customer so they are not running it by Chase, BOA, etc etc. I told them I only wanted to work through TFS.

I am also dealing with the internet department, I think I am just working with someone that is less than effective...polite enough, but not working at my pace. If they can dealer trade a truck for the same price, then I might consider it, but the silver crewmax I wanted is now delayed by two weeks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i feel your pain. we were supposed to have our truck fri, sat at latest. monday now and no freakin word. it made it out of the factory before the shutdown, got stuff added and was supposed to be on a trailer to another dealer then my dealer was going to send a runner in a trade car to swap it and drive it back here. it hasn't even made it to the dealer it was supposed to go to first. the sales guy called the dealer it was supposed to go to and they don't know where it is. awesome. ive been stuck driving our 3i coupe which is my wife's DD and not conducive to a 6'5 200 pound guy lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I got my truck I went to two dealers, and even tho the first dealer had approved me through TFS they had to re-run everything.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's official...I've given up.

I sent them a long email to my salesperson and the sales manager (who had sent me an email with vehicle information) explaining how I felt I was misled, that my deal had been mismanaged from the beginning, and that I was willing to go forward IF they would provide me with a commitment that I wouldn't drive 2.5 hours just to be given the runaround on vehicle price, trying to throw things into the deal (attempted to quote me a monthly payment with a platinum warranty, even though my credit report clearly shows I trade vehicles every 12 to 24 months), and change the promised trade value.

I received NO response. Just completely blew me off. So either I mentioned several things they were planning to do, or they just don't care. Pretty sad considering I am approved and ready to go. Is Toyota really doing that well that they can chase away "sure thing" customers like this?

I'm sorry to say that after my experience buying my first Tundra, my dealings with these two dealerships, and being forced to re-run my credit just to switch dealers, I honestly don't know if I will ever buy another Toyota. The vehicles have been great and I love TFS, but I have never been treated so poorly...I feel like I am buying a GM in the 1970s??

·
Registered
16 Posts
To be completly honest I haven't read through the entire thread. To be upfront, I sell Toyotas (as of current 5yrs and 3months) and have worked the finance side (about a year). I do believe it was already said, but wanted to clarify, once you are approved you can switch dealers, but they will have to run credit again. The "callback" from TFS will say something along the lines of, "approved at other dealer. Will only finance one contract." Now, unless you are changing the amount financed drastically, it will cover you anywhere you go in the Toyota Family.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I switched the first time, the second dealer took 4 business days to get the approval and my credit was dinged again. If TFS can't find a better way to handle this, I am not moving forward.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WOW... I can't speak for them, but that is crazy! :confused:
I can usually get an approval within minutes, unless it is past 4:45pm then it goes until the next day or in credit is questionable. In my opinion it sounds like the dealer is the one slacking... again my opinion. My TFS will use any score Fico or Fica. Regarding the dinging your credit I know here we must pull credit everytime just to make sure nothing happened, (ie..bought a house yesterday and signed the mortgage). It DOES affect your credit, but creditors also understand that MOST people shop and have thier credit pulled multiple times before getting a vehicle,mortgage, boat, RV, etc... So it doesn't affect you quite as much as you may think. Now with that being said, if you shop and get your credit pulled several times withing two weeks, give up, and go shopping again 30days later after your credit expires and they have to pull it again. Then yes it affects it a lot more.

Hope this helps... Wish I could do more!

When I switched the first time, the second dealer took 4 business days to get the approval and my credit was dinged again. If TFS can't find a better way to handle this, I am not moving forward.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.