Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to peek at my spare tonight after reading a couple of bed bounce threads... I was trying to see what the spare fix would actually entail, not because I need it but more because I haven't been under there in a while. So I lay on my back and scoot up under there. I see the metal bracket that holds the spare in looking a little crooked. I tap the spare with the palm of my hand to see if it was in there solid or if there was any flex at all. The POS falls off the mount with a hearty "PING" and hits me in the face. If you know how heavy the damn spare is, you know how much that really hurt. Thankfully, I had my hand up and deflected most of the force away from my face otherwise it could have easily broken my nose. I was even more thankful that the tire didn't come off while I was driving down the highway and kill someone. It was that loose.

Needless to say, it's in there solid now, but it's a pretty good reminder that you should check things out on your vehicle from time to time. Just try to keep your head out from under it when you do!! :amen:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ouch dude.Thats a lucky escape. Wonder if anyone tried to steal your spare? Or if you've ever had cause to access it before? Maybe had a flat, put on the spare, then went to tire shop? They woulda put the spare back in place right?

Glad you are OK though. Thats a heavy wheel.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my truck for about a year and a half now and have never had a reason to touch the spare. As far as I know it drove off the dealership that way... though I find it hard to believe it's been that loose the entire time. The last service I had was oil change and tire rotation and I'm pretty sure they check out the pressure on the spare when they do that so I'd have to point to that if anything at all.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, I thought you would have said in your OP if the spare had been used before. Just plucking ideas out of my rear really. Anyway, regardless of the cause (say a would be thief), it's still scary. Makes you wonder what might have happened. may want to check your lugnuts come to think about it.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've had my truck for about a year and a half now and have never had a reason to touch the spare. As far as I know it drove off the dealership that way... though I find it hard to believe it's been that loose the entire time. The last service I had was oil change and tire rotation and I'm pretty sure they check out the pressure on the spare when they do that so I'd have to point to that if anything at all.
They don't rotate the spare in?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
They don't rotate the spare in?
nope.

My spare is an ugly black wheel with the cheapest tire available stuck on it. It would look silly rotated in with the others.

Not only that, but Toyota points the valve stem up so it us very unlikely that the spare tire even gets it's air checked. I turned mine "valve stem down" so I could check it without lowering it to the ground.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
nope.

My spare is an ugly black wheel with the cheapest tire available stuck on it. It would look silly rotated in with the others.

Not only that, but Toyota points the valve stem up so it us very unlikely that the spare tire even gets it's air checked. I turned mine "valve stem down" so I could check it without lowering it to the ground.

ha, jokes on you b/c you had to lower it to the ground once! :p

Good advice though, I'll check mine maybe tomorrow after they replace my rear bumper.

-rockstate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts