Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, they don't sell a color-matched grill-surround in PyriteMica, so I either had to have a paint-shop do it, or try it myself. Since I already did this with my '07 SilverSky Tundra, I figured what the He11. But, I spent alot more time on it this go-round, and it turned out pretty good.

Process:
- Removed grill & inner "black" trim
- Sanded down fake-chrome with 200g then 320g sandpaper
- Cleaned & prepped with Dupont prep-wipes & tack-cloth
- 3-4 coats of Self-etching primer (entire can)
- Re-sanded again, finishing with 0000 (super-fine) Steel-wool
- Re-cleaned & prepped
- 3-4 coats of PyriteMica enamel spray (sanded with 0000 between each coat)
- 3-4 coats of Hi-Gloss clear coat (again with the sanding ;) )
- Re-installed

Overall, it took about 5 hours, due to waiting times for the enamel coats to dry. Total cost was around $35.

QUESTION: The grill looks good, the color matches perfectly, but the clear-coat needs 1 more sanding/polishing to better match the rest of the trucks "smoothness" --- Does anyone know what I can use to buff that down properly to match the rest of the truck's clear-coat finish?

Pics:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Looks great! Now I just have to try to do mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks great! I was thinking about doing the same with mine but couldn't pull the trigger cuz I didn't know how it would look. but i'm in now

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
395 Posts
Oh man, been dying to see what a color matched pyrite mica grille would look like! Great job...if I do this I'd get it done professionally. I painted my last grille black, it looked good for week or two, but then got small chips and the clear coat started looking not so good.

Why doesn't Toyota make a pm colored grille??

Again, great job and I hope it holds up!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks good. I've been wantin to spray my bumpers with some liner extreeme but I need to work my self up do actually doing it though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Big Props on the MOD i have posted two threads trying to ask how to get my 2010 PM Tundra grille surround and bumpers color matched!!!! for someone who is a severe ( and i mean extremely) novice at painting, how hard do you think it is for beginners???

Again looks amazing, time to do the Bumpers? door handles? and mirrors?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Gorgeous. I'm happy with my chrome but I do love the monochrome look. I just know if I tried to do it it would be one more spot peppered with paint chips in a few years. Just like the painted cap on my chrome-plated bumper. After one year of ownership I am fairly confident I'll be repainting it it within another 2.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hey popo, there is a product made in Germany called Minzerna which is sold through a company called autogeek.net here in Fl. The particular product I use for finish work is called Micro Polish which removes 2000 grit swirls and won't leave any holograms. I have used it on my black truck with excellent results. They have other products that are more aggressive if you want quicker action but they will still have to be followed by the micro polish or similar product for that "deep smooth wet" look. If you want to ask another member their results after having their truck scratched then PM direwolf and take a look at his pictures and the results he has achieved. This product is so safe that it can be used on freshly cured paint.

Good luck and the truck looks great!!!!!!!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the comments guys. I've been wanting to get this done since I picked up the truck... I'm gonna leave the rest of the chrome as-is because I think it's a great contrast with the Pyrite; the chrome grill was just way too much chrome & I think our trucks look better with a color matched grill AND the chrome bumper. I WAS gonna do the Black headlight mod, but now that I have this done, I'm thinking the lights look good as-is; we'll c.

-tsolomon: thanks for that info, I'll try to find it and give it a shot.

-SteveODC: It's really not hard at all... Just time consuming. With a project like this, it's all about the little stuff, especially the prep. Sand it good, spray light coats to avoid drips, make sure it's done in a clean, protected area to avoid dust & other crap from landing on your wet paint..etc etc.

I feel pretty confident that this will hold up well, because of the steps I took.. Time will tell I suppose.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I stopped at the store tonight and grabbed some 2000 grit sandpaper & some TurtleWax polishing compound. I only had a few mins tonight, so I tried it quickly on a small section. I wet-sanded just briefly with the paper, then polished it out with the compound & a terry-cloth.

I don't know why I didn't think about this!!!
Thanks t-Sol! It looks so much damn better already! I'm guessing that with about 20-30 minutes of "elbow-grease" work, the grill will nearly match the smoothness of the truck's clear-coat. More pics when I'm done, then I'll update my first post! ;)

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
looks great popo!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks to tSol... I realized that I had to "finish" the grill. Like I said, I grabbed 2000grit wet/dry sand-paper & Turtle Wax "polishing compound." I spend about 20 mins wet-sanding the finish to be mirror-smooth, then another 10 mins or so with the polishing compound. I then cleaned it and applied a couple coats of wax (currently using Meguires).

So, here's the finished look! I've gotta say, I'm impressed! It looks & feels like the factory finish; not bad for about $45 and 5-6 hrs of work. I'm really happy with it, and now we'll just have to wait & see how it holds up over time. But again, with the steps & patience I used, I feel confident that it'll hold up very well...I pretty much used the same process that a paint-shop would've used anyhow, just got my paint from the rattle can instead of the sprayer; that's the only difference.

PICS:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I don't think a professional shop could have done any better!!! You did a fantastic job and your work really does look great!!!!! I'm glad all the input could help!!!! That's what it is all about!!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow Popo that looks great. I would have never guessed it was done by a "nonpro". I think I will try this on my white truck as per your instructions . I agree with your leaving the rest of the chrome, it looks real balanced now just enough color match and chrome.

Did you have to get the color matched paint from the dealer? I didnt know they sold aerosol cans of vehicle paint.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think I will try this on my grille surround. If that works out good for me, Maybe I will try both my bumpers. Do you think this could be done on the chrome bumpers? How many cans do you think? I guess if all else fails, I can get the bumpers repainted and buy a new grille surround already color matched.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
395 Posts
where did you get the paint? brand name..etc

looks amazing!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for the comments guys.

First: This is where I got the PyriteMica paint: 2007-08 TOYOTA 4T3 PYRITE TOUCH-UP SPRAY CAN : eBay Motors (item 370020725942 end time May-26-10 11:04:34 PDT) I've bought several cans of different colors over the last 2 years from this Ebay seller, and they've been spot-on every time.

2nd: I'm sure this could be done on the chrome bumpers.. The PROBLEM would be sanding down the chrome finish. On the grill, it's just a paint or something on the plastic; On the bumpers, it's a real-chrome coating. It may not be that difficult, but I've never tried sanding down real chrome, so I can't really say for sure how difficult or easy that might be. But as long as you can scuff it down to a 320grit prepped surface, follow my steps in the 1st post & I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

3rd: I used 1 full can EACH of the Primer, Pyrite Enamel, and Clear-Coat...for this grill surround. It may not have really needed that much, but I figured I'd use all of it to get a nice thick finish. So, I'd guess you'd need at least 2-cans of each for A bumper...maybe even 3.

Fourth: I bought everything (except for the color-match enamel from ebay) from Meijer, which is basically a MidWest version of WalMart.

---
If any of you plan on doing this, go for it! It's not difficult, just be patient & thorough! I hung the grill from a joist in my garage, using a bungee cord. That way there was nothing touching the grill during the process, and every time I brought it down to sand, I placed it on a soft blanket on my work-bench to avoid scratches. Take your time with the sanding to do a good job with it; that's the most important part.

Also, while spraying ALL your coats, lighter coats are better than heavier coats. You don't want any runs in the paint!!! When in doubt, spray a light coat, let it dry (doesn't take long) and spray another light coat... just don't rush it!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts