Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is "aluminized" steel better/worse/equal to stainless?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Depends on the application. Aluminized steel is only plain steel coated w/aluminum to help prevent corrosion, kinda like galvanized but using a different plating material. For an exhaust, i'd prefer stainless since it'll last longer.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on the application. Aluminized steel is only plain steel coated w/aluminum to help prevent corrosion, kinda like galvanized but using a different plating material. For an exhaust, i'd prefer stainless since it'll last longer.
That is an interesting way of preventing corrosion.

If you remember Physics 101 and all that stuff about different metals having different numbers of free electrons and stuff, then you know putting aluminum and steel together will cause a Galvanic Reaction; in effect, it creates a battery which will just cause more corrosion.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Remember that different metals put together will have different levels of galvanic reactions, some severe and some not soo severe. Galvanized metal is steel coated w/zinc, which is the sacrificial coating to protect the steel beneith but you don't see much galvanic reaction between the two. I'm guessing that since aluminum and steel are similar they don't corrode very much. I'm not a metallurgist so this is about all i know about this stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts