Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I see way too many posts get the "you should try the search button" response. I am not speaking from personal experience becuase I try to search before I ask questions, however, I think I speak for everyone who has received this response.

More often than not, they have already tried a search, but most threads get dilluted by other random posts. This makes it difficult to get a consencious, thus having to bite the bullet and the same questions over and over knowing that your going to receive "Search before asking" response.... lol..

Just thought I would offer up a defense for those whom receive this response.:D

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
More often than not, they have already tried a search, but most threads get dilluted by other random posts. This makes it difficult to get a consencious, thus having to bite the bullet and the same questions over and over
...making it that much harder for the next guy looking for info. The "advanced search" feature allows you to narrow your search for specific topics in a specific forum, resulting in far fewer threads to read through. :D :koolaid: OH YEAH!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
The search engine can be 'difficult' at times. It is much better than when I started with TS though.

I recommend going straight to 'advanced search' and scroll thru / choose other refining options to narrow it down. I also recommend searching for 'posts', not threads, as I usually find this a better way to cut down on superfluous results. You also have to put some thought into the key words you are searching. One recent example was a fella that could not find anything on replacing the rubber strip at the bottom of the driver's window. Had to search it several ways, such as window strip, window tape, weather stripping and and so on.

For the record (my 2 cents), asking older questions tends to get new guys involved and rekindles some older info. Both of which are good. However, I also tend to get annoyed when I see two very similar questions asked in two different threads, in a short time frame. That is an indication that neither poster even tried to search. :beatsme:

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
...For the record (my 2 cents), asking older questions tends to get new guys involved and rekindles some older info...
It also creates that "dilution" that you referenced earlier.

Think about it this way: do you care how hard it is for the next guy to find what he's looking for? If not, then ask away, and you'll be seen as the lazy self-centered nad you are. If you do care, then you'll do all you can to search around and make a concerted effort to find what you're looking for.

Know this: even the people who have been around here for some time have a hard time searching for specific info on "subject 1". Why? Because it is buried in threads that start about "subject 1" and then get burned with argumentation [email protected] because "subject 1" was just brought up in a quality thread 15 minutes before.

Folks, this is a public forum. It isn't about you or me. It's about the next guy. If you have been here for some time and it has earned a place in your life, then act like a caretaker. That means doing your best to provide factual, real-world, deployable information for the guy needing help.

Some will disagree, but I also think it means shutting down a thousand-repeat question right at the start so it doesn't grow into a 15, 20, or 30 answer thread that will show up in a search like it really has some meat to it and wastes a massive amount of time for the next searcher.

As always, my $0.02.

* * * Note: You can search for my posts under "bilstein 5100" or "O2 sensor". I'll be providing info starting on page 19 of your search results...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
. However, I also tend to get annoyed when I see two very similar questions asked in two different threads, in a short time frame. That is an indication that neither poster even tried to search. :beatsme:
Ditto. Also annoying when there are 5 or 6 new threads about long tube DTs with cutouts started within a couple days.:fish:

·
Registered
657 Posts
My experience in using the Search function is that I get way more posts (etc.) than just those that pertain to specifically what I'm searching for. I say "Oh well" and start reading each one looking for anything helpful. When I programmed computers for a living (in the old chisel and stone tablet days) I had to use/write searches. If I had made searches that produced results as vague as the ones on this forum I would have lost my job.
Just saying I think they could be better.

George60

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
When going through the search results, you could find a member who posted relevant info and PM them for more specifics. They may be able to point you in the right direction if they can't answer your question. I've done it before, as well as helped others who have PM'd me.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
When going through the search results, you could find a member who posted relevant info and PM them for more specifics. They may be able to point you in the right direction if they can't answer your question. I've done it before, as well as helped others who have PM'd me.
Excellent point. And a search resource/maneuver that I think should be elevated in the search instructions for the new members. :tu:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I found this forum when I Googled the CEL codes I had. The Google search narrowed down the results much better than any forum search feature has.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Ditto. Also annoying when there are 5 or 6 new threads about long tube DTs with cutouts started within a couple days.:fish:
And the Mods usually try to consolidate them into 1 thread whenever we see them.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I find that clicking 'show posts' instead of 'show threads" works much better in the search engine. That way you should only get specific posts as opposed to long winding threads that may only have a couple of posts related to your key word.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts