Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you not familiar with my first "round" of upgrades and fabrication you can see my first build thread here:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/220921-2011-tundra-build-of-millenium-lol/
I have made some upgrades since then, both in off-the-shelf aftermarket accessories as well as custom fabrication projects that I think many will enjoy seeing.

Here is a toolbox organizer I made to keep everything tidy:

This is a neat little jack/jackstand combo that I found at Tractor Supply. It was only like $30 and is the perfect jack for lifted trucks in my opinion as it has like 18” of total lift and has a ratcheting lock so while you are jacking the truck up it cannot fail (release) from a hydraulic leak. The quality of the stand itself is pretty good. I have read reports of the actual bottle jack leaking and failing over time but so far I haven’t had any issues. I would think that if you just let this thing bounce around in the bed of your truck or toolbox you could probably lessen its lifespan. Either way the bottle jack can be replaced with a similar size with a little work if need be IMO.

I decided to build a removable dog cage to keep the pooch from accidentally falling out. She is a good dog and never fell out/jumped out in the past but she didn’t grow up riding in trucks so I figured this would be a good idea just in case.

Unfortunately my HOA won’t let me park a camper or RV in the driveway or on the side of my house so the next best option for me was to design and build a custom truck tent. It’s been the product of about a year of design, re-design, procurement, and fabrication (here and there...weekends and nights) but it’s finally done and it works like a dream! I even have a shower set up in it. FYI the canvas portion was made by ABC Canvas in Farmington, NM. They do great work!

You can see the AquaCube Base Camp digital shower on the left next to the propane tank. Hot water on demand for the shower :)

It is very difficult and messy to drain my oil since the RC cross members make getting hands AND a funnel into beneath the oil drain impossible at the same time (regardless of how much room it looks like there is...there is barely room for my hand and a wrench) so I found this neat little Fumoto oil drain valve online. All I do to drain the oil now is slide some 3/8” ID tubing onto the barb on the end of the valve and I can drain straight into a bucket…no mess! This thing is worth 10x its weight in gold to me.

My RC shocks have been a nightmare with bushings blowing out and as you can see from this picture they were beginning to leak. I bought these Fox 2.0 Performance Series shocks and I love them.

With the truck tent weighing in at 400lbs and another 5-600lbs of gear…plus the 4-wheeler on a trailer I needed some additional load management so I settled on these Firestone Ride Rite bags (part number F2445). Originally the bags are set up to be aired up separately, each through their own valve. I got tired of that setup so I joined them together and added a pressure sending unit to the setup so now I can monitor the air pressure in my bags from the cab. I love these things and although I considered going with a full Deaver spring pack for better load management I am glad I didn’t. These things work great!

You can see the Schrader valve in the frame right above the bag. This is on the driver’s side. Originally there was a valve for each bag but as I mentioned I modified the system so that I can fill both bags from (1) valve. This way each bag is guaranteed to have the same pressure.

I added (2) Dakota Digital air pressure gauges. The gauge on the left monitors my ARB system pressure so I can immediately be aware of any leaks and the gauge on the right monitors my Firestone Air Bag Pressure, again, so I can watch for leaks. These are great to have.

The gauges mount in a Craven Speed Flex Pod gauge mounting kit (PN CRTT-1000-F22-TU). It’s a pricey mounting system but I couldn’t find any free real-estate in my dash to mount the gauges. Very clever design, mounts to the steering column using existing holes. No drilling required! You may need to purchase longer screws as the ones that came with the mount and the OEM ones were a bit short once the bracket was installed. They worked but only engaged about (1) full thread and I ended up stripping out the first plastic thread in one of the holes so I ended up using some longer screws I had laying around.

I used Daystar rocker switches to power the gauges and sending units. These switches are an exact match to the ARB switches (see next picture). This particular switch powers the gauge for the airbags.

This switch powers the ARB system and powers the gauge. Previously I had a generic rocker switch that didn't match anything. If you look to the right you can see my front locker switch and other than the graphics these switches match very well.

My 4-wheeler weighs about 800lbs and the Tundra tailgate is a wee bit flimsy for that kind of load so I built a load-transfer system that transfers load to the bed of the truck and to the hitch. It works like a charm for those times when I don’t want to hook the trailer up.

I have yet to install these LED PIA’s but it’s on my list of things to do!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Wow, Looking really good! Nice job.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I just added some discussion to the pictures too :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
looking very good. i love the toolbox organizer you made, i may have to make one of those for myself.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the kudos!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Damn, really great job! After seeing those ammo boxes, I eagerly wait to see the 50-cal machine gun mounted on your roof.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been trying to convince the GF that "we" need a .50 for quite some time now.

So far she is in agreement but doesn't want to pay for it. Weird, right?

Ooops. I am probably on Big Brothers radar now...

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think I could afford to feed a mini...but gotta love Dillon Aero!

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Excellent work! :tu: You've set the 'bar' on planning, preparation and execution. :first:

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 24 Posts