Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a set of focal K2's in my front, currently have the tweeters in the factory dash location. I'm back to contemplating moving the tweeters, but hoped to find a few of you that have actually tried them in several locations with true listening feedback. I put mine in the dash to give them a real world listen, and it's been over a year now - it sounds pretty good, but not the ultimate. I tried the sail panels of my van, and wasn't totally thrilled with that location either, but the tuning, amps etc was different then. After that, I moved the tweeters down closer to the mids (which were in the doors down near the floor). Sounded decent - but I missed some highs, so I bought the CDT upstage system and tried that. Eventually I went for simplicity again (do you really need 4 tweeters in a system???), so now I'm back to the basics.

So real question - how many of you have tried in the Tundra - dash position, then after serious listening shifted to sail panels. Results?

Thanks for sharing,
Luther

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can say that when I moved the CDT tweets from the dash to the sails it made a difference. I could hear the highs alot more and the sound doesnt bounce around as much as it did in the dash.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok - I just sat in my truck for an hour testing the different positions with different tweeter gains etc. IMO the sail panels do sound quite superior to the dash position. I'm changing them today.

Luther

·
Registered
918 Posts
I haven't done the dash, I have my Hertz HSK 165 tweets in the sails. This worked well in my 04 Dakota, not so well on this Tundra. It's the same system transferred from one truck to the other, but the imaging just isn't there anymore due to the different acoustics. Old truck: I close my eyes with loud vocals on, I can imagine reaching out and touching the singer. Here, not so much. So I'm not that happy with a sail panel placement but don't have experience with dash openings to compare.

At some point when the money's there I'll be going 3 way to try to improve the situation, benefits being to hopefully get the vocals coming from one driver and get a smaller mid-range into the situation that gives me easier mounting options really close to the tweeter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts