Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I didn't know where to post this thread. I will post in the Avalon section as well.

I got an email New Product Announcement from Toyota regarding the new Venza to be released this summer. Is there a source with more detail than the marketing info?

From what I can figure it's built on the Camry platform with the 4-cyl and V-6 drivetrains. The published specs say towing capacity is 3500#'s for the V-6. Is it safe to assume that the towing capacity would be 1500#'s - similar to the Camry and the RAV4?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another Suck Up Vehicle to compete with the Chrysler Pacifica.
Why is Toyota always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to marketing?

And does the market really need another Suck Up Vehicle anyway?
Especially in light of the coming price of gasoline going up to $5.00 in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why did it take so long for Toyota to make a full size truck??
They do not have to be first in the market they just want to be the best. So let the others come out with crossovers. The yota guys will sit back see what works and make a better one. Waht do you mean by another suck up vehicle?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yota,
You're not to take this personal now are ya?
Good, because it's not pointed at you personally.

Just what do you think they mean by SUV?
I coined the term "Suck Up Vehicle" way back in the 70's, when the term SUV was first bandied about by the industry.

Why?

Because:
They suck up gas.
They suck up gobs of money.
They suck up insurance.
They suck up the road.
They suck up lives. (Both their own drivers, and other victims, that get hit by them.)
And they suck up the view of the traffic out in front of them from the people driving normal sized cars who are stuck behind them.

And for the most part, are driven by suck ups who don't need them to begin with, but have to have one because all their friends have one.

Now it's perfectly alright to own anything you want to, that's your right.
It's also quite alright to be a suck up, if that's what you want to be.

But if you are wasting gobs of gasoline just because you can.
Or if you hit someone, and kill their children, just because you are driving a 6000lb truck, and they were driving a 3500lb car, then you are not OK.

The story is all different if you actually have a need for such a truck on a daily basis.
But almost every one of them is being driven with only one person in the truck.

Great....go ahead and screw the rest of us just because you can.
But really....don't expect much sympathy from the rest of the drivers of normal sized cars.
We all see you as a threat to our lives, and the lives of our families.

Just because you can be.
Ain't freedom great.
It allows you do as you damn please even if it hurts others around you.
And there are almost no consequences to suffer either.

I guess that's what's happened to our culture in the last couple of decades.

The battle cry is a simple one: Hooray for me, and screw you, get out of my way or I'll run your *** over.

Now don't go getting all upset with me.

I didn't market this idea, Detroit did.

And everybody else just jumped on the band wagon in order to make a foutune in over priced, over weight, trucks.

Why hell, I even applaud them for convincing so many suck ups that they really need a 6000lb gas guzzling behemoth just to go to the store for a few groceries.
That's the American way isn't it?

We do as we damn please, and if you don't like it, then you can go pound sand up your you know what.

Do you disagree?
Do I have it all wrong?
Are you one of the few who actually need one?
Then you are the exception to the rule.

Look, next time you are out and about, try to take note of all the SUV's you see, and tell me how many really look like they are being used, as anything other than a personal (As in just one person.) vehicle.

Not many I would bet.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys.

I absolutely agree on all the SUV points - especially when ya see one hauling down the interstate at 80+ mph..... and caring less on the affect on the rest of us.

That being said. The little info I got seems to indicate that the marketing label of "crossover" isn't entirely true. It seems to be more of a camry station wagon than something like the pacifica. I don't want an SUV but interested in something with more utility and some towing capacity. I have an Avalon that gets reasonable fuel economy (24 city 32 hwy) when not suffering from "seasonal ethanol disorder".

The additional information I am looking for is fuel economy and towing capacity on the 4-cylinder model.

FWIW toyota seems to always be behind the marketing product development curve.... and has definitely slipped in quality kazen has taken a back seat to market expansion over the past 8-years.

bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
dittos to 9phil9. I have to admit, my wife has driven a tahoe for years simply because if she has a wreck with another suv, the fight will be more even. We bought an 08 camry for gas mileage. But I sure would hate to get hit by an SUV. Maybe with gas prices increasing, people will come to their senses and drive more reasonable cars.

·
Registered
144 Posts
bobstcyr,

Actually Bob, it is more of a SUV than a Camry Station Wagon.
If you look a little closer, you will see that the new car comes with 19" or 20" wheels, and has over 8" of road clearance.

That's SUV territory, not normal Camry specs.
And when you look at the profile, it closely resembles any one of about a half dozen other SUV's that are already out there.

While it may be a nice truck, it's still a truck, and the quality will suffer if it's built in the good old USA.

I guess Toyota still doesn't get it.
I wonder how long it will take for them to catch on?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep.... saw all that but considered suspension lift and larger wheels for the increased clearance. I am not interested in the RAV or Highlander..... or any other SUV for that matter which why I'm trying to get more detail on this new offering from Toyota.....

As for quality..... my personal observation is Toyota has been sliding for several years...... I had a 200 Avalon with a really messed up transmission. the "replacement" was far worse than the original and all Toyota would say "it's in spec.....they all do that" ! yeah, right, let's put the car in reverse and wait 3-5 seconds for the car to move!??!!?!?

I remember when Toyota would never accept a representation of their product like that.....
my 06 Avalon has been good with the exception of having to reflash the firmware of the 06 transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
The Venza will have a lower profile than a Truck stance. BTW, The Chry. Pacifica line was laid to rest. It was a "profit loser" for them. For some reason they could not give them a way.
I know two people who bought them twice over and getting them for loaded for $6,000+ below sticker.

It was a heavy SUV with a low tech engine that was a PIG on fuel. Daimler helped design it and even supplied some Daimler-Benz Parts bin components. As of late. Daimler has pulled out of Chrysler. And with that, Teh plug was pulled on this Pacifica. I rented a Nav eqquipped one for a vacation. Not bad for a rental ...but I would never have lease or own one. Let alone any Chrysler Product.

The Venza will be based on the Avalon chassis. It will also have a 6 speed AT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts