Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am avoiding buying until TRD responds

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems many of us are getting the run-around from TRD as to whether they feel there is a problem with the Supercharger and cold air AND whether there is a fix coming (if they are willing to admit there is a problem).

Please post:
1) If you have the supercharger

2) If you have had any problems with cold air and the supercharger

3) If you have had the cold air (or other problems with the supercharger), what has Toyota's response been?

4) If you d/w TRD, what have they told you?

thx, hopefully this will be helpful to those of us thinking about spending our hard earned money for an upgrade.

·
Registered
89 Posts
am i first??? hahaha!!!
so.....yes...
1) i have the s/c (one of the first to get one)
2) i have a SIGNIFICANT problem
3) i have gotten the complete runaround by trd
if you have an s/c....you probably know...and what/why.
if you don't and want one.....i'll say that they are absolutely....SO VERY AWESOME!!!.....when they are working properly. and that's the kicker.
some state that their problems are with temperature. mine is intermittent. warm day or cold, you never know if it's gonna work right. if you're not aware, here's the what happens.
from 0 to 4000 or so rpm's every thing is good. at about 4200rpm...you hit a brick wall. it holds at 4200 and will not up shift until you let of the throttle momentarily. after that it seems to kick back in and up shift....however, momentum is lost, rpm's ar down and you're in a higher gear so, it's like you're driving a 3cyl metro that needs a tuneup.
that's it in a nut shell anyway.
several of us have contacted trd numerous times only to get...nothing. initially, they would not acknowledge our concern and denied there being any problem. later, trd was approached by....one of us and had the opportunity to witness the problem firsthand. only then did they half heartedly admit flaw/fault. at this point they keep giving us that contacted them with numerous excuses and miscellaneous runaround replies. The lates being, "contact your local dealership". As most of you know, doing this gains nothing except a constantly postponed 'fix date'......stating that there is a 're-flash' coming.
Meanwhile.......those of us that have the s/c are left with a $7000.00....screwing.
The purpose of this thread is for us that have, or want, the s/c to organize and convey our concern to toyota and trd, en masse. Maybe then when they see how big a problem this really is, they will act accordingly (and quickly) and provide a fix for us.
Once again, if you already have the s/c and are experiencing this problem I strongly urge you to reply to this thread. If you are wanting the s/c....you should vocalize as well because when the s/c is working properly, it is definately money well spent. It's just a matter of trd getting the re-flash to us.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too have the S/C on my 08 CM and am experiencing the engine "de-rate" at 4000 rpm when it is colder than 55 deg F. I have not had the S/C for that long to notice this issue occurring during warm weather as I bought the truck in Oct. 08.

GUYS and GALS ....please keep the responses to the S/C problems we are facing and not getting any product support from TRD and Toyota to prevent getting off topic from the original post.

·
Registered
124 Posts
same here, ive been complaining about the same problems since sept.08. my dealership, TRD, toyota regional, and people on this forum all have told me to quit complaining.

·
Registered
665 Posts
same here, ive been complaining about the same problems since sept.08. my dealership, TRD, toyota regional, and people on this forum all have told me to quit complaining.
While I dont have a supercharger, nor do I plan on dumping 7g's into one, I do feel, based on readings toyota or TRD rather has dropped the ball on this thing and now they wont fix it? What a crock. It seems that while toyota builds a decent product, their service has become sh!t. I have received little to no help on issues with my tundra. Are they in denial? Do they build such a superior product that we are all really just idiots, that dont know what we are talking about?:crazya:.

I encourage those with problems such as this to spread the word. Join other forums and voice your problems and continue to complain to yota about their ability to stand up to typical toyota quality. Sorry about the rant, good luck to those who are getting a $7,000 a$$ beating. :moony:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
After spending close to $6k and have a vehicle that is not reliable the last thing I would do is shut up...

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts. I hope there are enough responses to this thread to make it worthwhile to email to TRD/Toyota.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I hope there are enough responses to this thread to make it worthwhile to email to TRD/Toyota.
Let's give it a little while longer. Also, we need to start blogs at all of the mag-sites that featured the RCSB S/C Tundra. I call Trucktrend/MotorTrend. We should probably get ahold of a few editors at Edmunds, Pickuptrucks.com, MT/TT, Autoblog, etc. and see if they'll run a story for us. That will get TRD's attention.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a supercharger. I purchased/had dealer install the end of summer last year. I too have experienced the cold air issue. Around 4200, it seems like not only do I NOT have a supercharger, but the engine has about the same power as a 6 cylinder. It still pulls, just not NEARLY has hard as it was, or even does naturally aspirated. I have talked to my dealer about it, but also told them I knew TRD was working on a reflash (that was the latest update at the time from here). Like the others have said, it is a shame, cause when it is warm out, and working right, WHEW!! HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT!!

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
I think it should be stated explicitly here since this is the official thread now.

People who have the 5.7L TRD supercharger experience, usually in cooler weather, a significant cutback in power above 4000 rpm.

I feel that this is NOT harmful to the engine. It has been mentioned in the other threads that the air intake temperature sensor affects the throttle position. At cooler intake air temps, a techstream read the throttle significantly closed at higher rpms. If the throttle is being closed by the ECU based on monitored parameters (such as air intake temp), the fuel and timing are adjusted accordingly which should not result in any damage whatsoever. Furthermore, if damage is caused it would be covered under warranty.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I hope everyone who is considering a Supercharger reads this thread first....The last thing owners and enthusiasts should do is keep quiet. We should make as much noise as possible when there is an issue and keep at it until there is an acknowledgment and resolution from Toyota or TRD....

I am unsure how linkbacks work and such but certainly putting the word out to other truck sites probably would not hurt....Give the boys at ford and gm something to chew on while letting Toyota know that truck buyers everywhere are hearing about the problem, not just existing owners of the Tundra....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Something I've learned over the past year of being boosted, and getting to know Gadget from URD

1.You CANNOT boost a vehicle without proper fuel and engine management

2. You should always have gauges, for starters (AFR wideband, boost)

I dont get it. Does no one on here have gauges to see whats really going on here.

I bet you anything its a matter of tuning. Toyota is NOT going to fix this. You want to know why. Because their reflash is never going to be "specific" enough for each vehicle. It will NEVER be as good as a aftermarket tune.

When I got my truck boosted I bought a wideband and boost gauge the next week. The reflash for my tacoma was completely way off. It was running extremely lean..like 14.1 in light load conditions...2-3 psi.

At wot, 7 psi, it was extremely rich...in the 9's. AKA backwards

Gadget tuned my truck, and I took off 1.2 seconds off my quarter mile time. The difference in power in daily driving and WOT was absolutely amazing.

Anyways, you guys need to get some gauges asap. Your trucks are running around in limp mode, because the stock ecu...even with the reflash, it's not giving your trucks enough fuel when its colder and the s/c is making more boost.

remember..when you add air, you must add fuel

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Something I've learned over the past year of being boosted, and getting to know Gadget from URD

1.You CANNOT boost a vehicle without proper fuel and engine management

2. You should always have gauges, for starters (AFR wideband, boost)

I dont get it. Does no one on here have gauges to see whats really going on here.

I bet you anything its a matter of tuning. Toyota is NOT going to fix this. You want to know why. Because their reflash is never going to be "specific" enough for each vehicle. It will NEVER be as good as a aftermarket tune.

When I got my truck boosted I bought a wideband and boost gauge the next week. The reflash for my tacoma was completely way off. It was running extremely lean..like 14.1 in light load conditions...2-3 psi.

At wot, 7 psi, it was extremely rich...in the 9's. AKA backwards

Gadget tuned my truck, and I took off 1.2 seconds off my quarter mile time. The difference in power in daily driving and WOT was absolutely amazing.

Anyways, you guys need to get some gauges asap. Your trucks are running around in limp mode, because the stock ecu...even with the reflash, it's not giving your trucks enough fuel when its colder and the s/c is making more boost.

remember..when you add air, you must add fuel
This is all very, very true.

I think the biggest thing here is that its happening to owners across the board - its not vehicle specific. Otherwise, I'd agree with you 100%.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope the above is true. My only question is why can't TRD just tell us that when a prospective or current customer calls????

Or are they waiting for Spring to be here?

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
I hope the above is true. My only question is why can't TRD just tell us that when a prospective or current customer calls????

Or are they waiting for Spring to be here?
Haha - I wonder the same thing..."just a few more weeks guys, wait no, what's the first day of summer?"

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is all very, very true.

I think the biggest thing here is that its happening to owners across the board - its not vehicle specific. Otherwise, I'd agree with you 100%.
Im not sure what you mean by this? If its happening to alot of people...then it IS vehicle specific.

Its the reflash causing these problems...I promise you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ok. well, it's still up to trd. if.....someone had a tune for us i would say screw trd, but there's not antbody. mhp had our hopes up for a while but that died out. just got off the phone with gadget at urd....he said they have on in the works (6 months out at best).
regardless, it's trd's responsibility. they got this far so they should be able to get us mapped for an across the board re-flash! with the learning ability of the computer and all the sensors providing constant info. regarding driving condition, driving style, vehicle condition, altitude, atmospheric condition,......temperature....etc. there should be no problem! in other words...the tundra, like any other vehicle is set like this right? in other words, if you take your n/a tundra from sea level and drive it across the nation.....up and down hills in different temps, etc....it will perform like a champ. because they set the parameters right?? and the computer is doing what it's supposed to do, constantly adjust and compensate....for maximum performance!!!!!! ok, then if thats the case, then why can't they up the 'parameters' (layman's term) for the s/c properly?? some may say that it's not so simple a task for the engineers....but that's their dang job!!!
i could go on and on......but, look at the vehicle as a whole....an engineering wonder! and they can't fix a seemingly simple problem like....re-arranging some ones and zeros!!??? c'mon. they did the first re-flash for the s/c.......uhhhhh, see my point?
erg.

1 - 20 of 334 Posts