Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1331 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: The Official "How to add MPG buttons" thread (some conditions may apply)

I have a 2012 Tundra Dbl cab and today I did the mod. It works great had the blank in, then installed the drive monitor buttons and it would do temp from F to C when pushed nothing else. Pulled it apart added the two wires pointed out in the thread mod and all works now!! Just wanted to thank you for the right up......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can someone please re-upload the pics for this mod? It says they are missing in the OP.

I'm trying to do this mod on my dads '10 crew max grade 2x4 and can't figure out which connector is the JL1. I've found the J28 behind the gauges, but the 28 & 30 pins already have wires in them. I currently have the entire harness out of the truck. The drive monitor connector only has 6 wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I saw this a couple months ago and planned on doing this. I purchased a roll of 18g wire and some other things...I can back to make sure I had all the details before i started and all the pictures are gone.....is it just me?

·
Registered
9 Posts

I saw this a couple months ago and planned on doing this. I purchased a roll of 18g wire and some other things...I can back to make sure I had all the details before i started and all the pictures are gone.....is it just me?
Nope, not just you. My post about it is right above yours. I bought the wire a couple weeks ago to do the same mod. I asked for the pics to be re-uploaded a week ago, and didn't get any replies.

Your best bet is to spend the $56 or so and get the factory harness listed in the first post. That's what I did and it works like it should. I bought it for a 2wd grade model and it had a couple of extra connectors, I'm assuming for 4wd trucks. I would probably write down the part number and take it to your local dealer and get a price. I ordered from the site listed in the OP and shipping was ~$15. I figured I'd help you out since I didn't get any help! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts

this isnt much help without the pictures, i was hoping with the written instructions i could figure it out, but ive got my dash apart and there are too many possiblities of picking the wrong plug. the pics would be great. any way of coming up with them?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Anyone still have the pictures that were on this thread relating to this mod? PLEEEZ :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any leftover J28 and J1 pins? I just need two of each. Also, I'm not electronically inclined, so is there any soldering involved and what gauge wire should I use for the pin route? I tried the 18 gauge stuffed route to no avail. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts

All the Picure are missing. please any one have the picturs.?????

·
Registered
30 Posts

I pulled my old switch assembly out of the dash tonight (just one switch "Setup US/M") and jumpered pin 5 to 2 - all of the functions cycled through the display! Looks like I just need to order a new switch assembly and it will truly be plug and play.

Truck is a 2008 Tundra SR5 double cab 4x4 with 4.7 V8.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Have 2011 double cab with the eight wires but really need the pics. Does anyone still have them. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have read this and other Tundra Forums, and still confused! I have 2010 DC bare minimum bought used several years ago, just bought the switch (84977-0C020) and pulled blank off and plugged into new switch. All I get is the changing of the Temperature from F to C! First Tundra for me at 66Y/O, love it, but wanted this mod. How do you figure out what model, I see so many letters and numbers described here too. I have iForce 4.6L V8. I guess I will have to do the wiring also??? Please help!

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts

Can someone please re-upload the pics for this mod? It says they are missing in the OP.

I'm trying to do this mod on my dads '10 crew max grade 2x4 and can't figure out which connector is the JL1. I've found the J28 behind the gauges, but the 28 & 30 pins already have wires in them. I currently have the entire harness out of the truck. The drive monitor connector only has 6 wires.
Nope, not just you. My post about it is right above yours. I bought the wire a couple weeks ago to do the same mod. I asked for the pics to be re-uploaded a week ago, and didn't get any replies.

Your best bet is to spend the $56 or so and get the factory harness listed in the first post. That's what I did and it works like it should. I bought it for a 2wd grade model and it had a couple of extra connectors, I'm assuming for 4wd trucks. I would probably write down the part number and take it to your local dealer and get a price. I ordered from the site listed in the OP and shipping was ~$15. I figured I'd help you out since I didn't get any help! Good Luck!
this isnt much help without the pictures, i was hoping with the written instructions i could figure it out, but ive got my dash apart and there are too many possiblities of picking the wrong plug. the pics would be great. any way of coming up with them?
Anyone still have the pictures that were on this thread relating to this mod? PLEEEZ :)
All the Picure are missing. please any one have the picturs.?????
https://web.archive.org/web/20160201211657/http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/108048-official-how-add-mpg-buttons-thread/

This should do it. I attached a PDF version of the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

Late to the party but 2010 Grade Double Cab. 8-wires on the switch harness so I had to run the 2 wires. Worked perfectly. Thanks to those who contributed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts

I did it, finally did it...., actually my younger neighbor who has a 1st Gen Tundra, had smaller hands and got into the tight spaces for me.
Now everything works as should be.

I too, am disappointed I can now see the mileage (or lack of) I now get! :eek: But happy I didn't waste that $85.:grin2:
Want to thank all that posted the pics and other great info.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts

Here is a stumper for me. I have a 2010 Tundra SR5 manufactured in Texas for the Canadian market that I recently purchased. It has always bugged me to have the Accessory Meter display the temperature in Celsius. When I first got the truck I tried using the setup button and the info button try and change the display. Neither worked. I always assumed a bad connection on the back of the buttons or the display or that the vehicle wasn't equipped. I had finally had time to work on troubleshooting the issue. I started with the guide from this thread. I have an 8-wire connector on the back of a 84977-0C0100 Drive Monitor Switch. I do have the Sonar Sensors as well.

I started to follow the instructions but found that I did not need to add any wires per thread one as they were already there. As mentioned pushing the buttons does nothing though the Sonar button does work. I found a thread with the wiring diagram so I decided to troubleshoot the actual connector. I jumped the #5 wire to the #2, 3, and 4 wires one at a time. There was no change to the Accessory Meter display in the center dash. I then broke out a multi-meter and checked for voltage. I'm getting 12v at each of the drive monitor switch pins for #2, #3, and #4.

The accessory meter functions with the clock and current outside temp in Celsius displayed. Is it possible for the meter to be partially bad? There is only on harness going to it and I verified it was firmly seated. As I said I'm stumped

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

Here is a stumper for me. I have a 2010 Tundra SR5 manufactured in Texas for the Canadian market that I recently purchased. It has always bugged me to have the Accessory Meter display the temperature in Celsius. When I first got the truck I tried using the setup button and the info button try and change the display. Neither worked. I always assumed a bad connection on the back of the buttons or the display or that the vehicle wasn't equipped. I had finally had time to work on troubleshooting the issue. I started with the guide from this thread. I have an 8-wire connector on the back of a 84977-0C0100 Drive Monitor Switch. I do have the Sonar Sensors as well.

I started to follow the instructions but found that I did not need to add any wires per thread one as they were already there. As mentioned pushing the buttons does nothing though the Sonar button does work. I found a thread with the wiring diagram so I decided to troubleshoot the actual connector. I jumped the #5 wire to the #2, 3, and 4 wires one at a time. There was no change to the Accessory Meter display in the center dash. I then broke out a multi-meter and checked for voltage. I'm getting 12v at each of the drive monitor switch pins for #2, #3, and #4.

The accessory meter functions with the clock and current outside temp in Celsius displayed. Is it possible for the meter to be partially bad? There is only on harness going to it and I verified it was firmly seated. As I said I'm stumped
I downloaded the PDF so I have pics now. The TS website just won't play nice with my machine so we'll have to communicate through other means. I'll post up in the other thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Add me to list. 2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7. Texas Edition of that makes any difference. Had to do the recycle wire method since both J28 and JL1 had wires already occupied at each location and yet I only had 6 wires at the the DMS.

1281 - 1300 of 1331 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
492 Participants
jpm.cuisine
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing