Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1321 - 1331 of 1331 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: The Official "How to add MPG buttons" thread (some conditions may apply)

hello everyone I live in Hemet , ca if anyone of you has done this mod and willing to do mine I will pay you for your time do mine....I have a 2010 tundra 4.6L base when I look behind my blacks the plug has 6 wires I do have a switch already just hope it the right one ….if not maybe you could do all the wiring so when I can get the right one all I have is plug it in and be done....I can come to your place or you can come here within reason I say 60 miles away is the most....contact me here and we set up a price and time.....thank you and marry xmas 2018 :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Success! I just bought a 2007 SR5 double cab with 27500 original miles! I really wanted the MPG button. It was a little over my head with out pictures but I got it done thanks!!

Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts

Great information. I will have to see what I have in my truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I cannot get this to work. I have a 2007 CM SR5 with bench seat and have added:
- 84977-0C020 Drive Monitor Switch
- 82143-0C030 Wire Instrument Pan (although I didn't need it, derp)

I checked the display with a flashlight, and it has the MPG text, not that is a sure fire thing I guess.

Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to switch pins or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there anyone in the D.C. area that has done this mod and willing to help me out? I’ve got 8 wires to the switch so I assume it’s just a matter of adding the two wires at the J28 to JL1. For some reason I can’t view the images on the first page with all the instructions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cannot get this to work. I have a 2007 CM SR5 with bench seat and have added:
- 84977-0C020 Drive Monitor Switch
- 82143-0C030 Wire Instrument Pan (although I didn't need it, derp)

I checked the display with a flashlight, and it has the MPG text, not that is a sure fire thing I guess.

Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to switch pins or something?

Thanks
I havent done the mod myself but if that harness doesn’t have the right wires in it, you might have to canablize one to make the other work. Im looking at doing the same thing too since it’s cheaper to order a harness and pull 2 wires versus buying the 4 other repair pins. Let me know how it works out for you. If you get it to work please share how you did it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I havent done the mod myself but if that harness doesn’t have the right wires in it, you might have to canablize one to make the other work. Im looking at doing the same thing too since it’s cheaper to order a harness and pull 2 wires versus buying the 4 other repair pins. Let me know how it works out for you. If you get it to work please share how you did it.
I ended up cannibalizing the extra wiring harness I had and re-pinned the two connectors, as per the instructions, and it works now.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Good job on the write up! Added my buttons last month. Did not get a deal on buttons, paid full price plus shipping. I had to add two wires from the front to the back of the instrument panel. I sourced the needed pins from an '07 Camry I found in the local LKQ. I had to add the two white wires from the front to the back of the instrument panel. I re-hooked the battery, turned the key and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the write up!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Official "How to add MPG buttons" thread (some conditions may apply)

2010 tundra dc grade. I’m trying to recycle my sonar wires. I got them switched to the correct pins on the switch connector but I can’t remove the pins from connector jl1 to be able to switch them. Is the lock on that plug suppose to come all the way out like the plug on the switch did?

EDIT: no, it only pops up 1/8” and you can remove the pin while prying from the front. I used a shaved down paper clip.

My truck seemed to be different in that it was a 2010 with 6 wire switch but there was existing wires in the gauge cluster connector at the correct pin locations so the only wires missing were between the switch and the jl1 connector, being a grade model without sonar I was able to relocate the sonar wires as instructed under the 2011+ diy (even tho they said blue and purple, pins 4 and 5 - mine were reversed- but the end location is correct) and it works now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Double Cab 2WD Base/Grade. I already had 8 wires at the switch but I couldn't get it to work adding the wires from J28 to JL1. Instead I connected J28 Pin #28 to JL1 Pin #17 and J28 Pin #30 to JL1 Pin #19 and it works!
I also purchased a wiring harness that I don't need, 82143-0C030 WIRE, INSTRUMENT PANEL, make me an offer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up the Toyota 84977-0C020 Drive Monitor Switch from amazon ($99.94, free shipping from Evans Toyota) and installed it on my 2013 Tundra CrewMax 5.7 4X4 Flex Fuel(SR5?) and it worked plug and play. My plug had the 8 wires preinstalled and I can get the AVG MPG, Inst MPG, Temp, Dst to Empty, and blank screen. I can also change the units and I was able to reset the default MPG which was 12.9 when I first installed the plug.

1321 - 1331 of 1331 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
492 Participants
jpm.cuisine
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing