Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the manual it states ALL of the zerks (center and either side) of this joint should get Moly grease, but... isn't this joint simply two u-joints with a centering ball? If that's the case, shouldnt the u-joint zerks get standard grease (because they have needle bearings) and ONLY the centering ball get moly grease because it is a high pressure joint?

I'm no mechanic, nor grease god, but I wonder if Toyota spec'd all three zerks so we wouldn;t miss the center, or worse yet, something was lost in translation.

Lemme hear what you think.

_Zaggy

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. I believe my 2006 manual just states moly grease for the double cardan (with no mention of how many zerks that includes). Back to the top.

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a diagram once that showed all three zerks, but if moly grease is not to be used on needle bearings, this is what the diagram seems to indicate. A call to the local Toyota shop got me nowhere, they just said use whatever. Then again they longevity aint necessarily their concern...

·
Registered
819 Posts
I, too, have been using Moly on every one of those zerk's under there. No issues yet, in 101,800 miles/7-years.

I remember when this came up years ago, everyone agreed that they were using the same grease for everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts