Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a rural area about 35 miles from a city of about 230,000. My town has a pop of about 1,800, and I love the laid back feeling I get out here. I'm also a medical student, so when I go to school/hospital, its 35 miles of straight highway. We are talking pretty rural here. Anyway, I drive anywhere between 75-80mph and I began to notice people in their cars were beginning to pace me. This drives me UP THE WALL. I'm not sure if they wanted to race me (2010 CM Limited 4x4) or had a large magnet attached to the front of their cars that was pulling them towards me. So I blast away from them and of course, a cop would be there some of the time going the opposite direction, doing radar.

Now, I have a strong feeling that many of these cities and smaller towns are busting folks for going as little as 1mph over because they need the $$. Budgets are getting slashed in many municipalities. But if I need to get to the hospital while I'm in training, especially while I'm a resident- I'm going to push it a bit. If I can do this safely, I see no problem with it- but I wont put up with people who insist on have nobody DARE pass them. So I bought a radar/laser detector. I've never tried to impress anyone with speed or what I drive because I'm not sure that anyone would ever care. I would also say thought that, when that Tundra gets past 75mph, its settles down and smoothes out and rides perfect. So to prioritize, they main reason for getting the RD are:

1) Other drivers
2) Police radar

-because #1 seems to lead into #2 (insert laugh here). But # 2 being the ultimate motivator (again, insert laugh).

BTW, when I say rural; I'm lucky to see 15-20 cars the entire 35 mile journey.

·
Registered
859 Posts
1) There are more deaths per mile travelled on rural roads than urban.
2) You say '....were beginning to pace me. This drives me UP THE WALL. I'm not sure if they wanted to race me (2010 CM Limited 4x4) or had a large magnet attached to the front of their cars that was pulling them towards me. So I blast away from them...'. Then you later berate those who wont let people pass. that's exactly what you are doing.
3) You could always leave earlier. You're a student, not a first responder . So, you have no need to 'push it a bit'.

You speed because you want to speed. That's OK. Lots of people on this forum do. But don't make lame excuses. I have a radar detector too.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
1) There are more deaths per mile travelled on rural roads than urban.
2) You say '....were beginning to pace me. This drives me UP THE WALL. I'm not sure if they wanted to race me (2010 CM Limited 4x4) or had a large magnet attached to the front of their cars that was pulling them towards me. So I blast away from them...'. Then you later berate those who wont let people pass. that's exactly what you are doing.
3) You could always leave earlier. You're a student, not a first responder . So, you have no need to 'push it a bit'.

You speed because you want to speed. That's OK. Lots of people on this forum do. But don't make lame excuses. I have a radar detector too.
Its the other people PACING him that he does not like...probably because they don't have a radar detector and are using his...

I really don't like it when people pace me either...they are basically using me for the radar protection I provide, so its not a lame excuse...

Who are you to criticize...

·
Registered
356 Posts
When I was younger and using a radar detector I always paced someone 100 yards or so ahead of me so as soon as I got a beep I could slow slightly and they would get the attention not I,,,, worked well. Watched several get nailed,,, If you are gonna speed it's dog eat dog..

Now that I'm older I just drive better, and slower.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I don't think I quite understand this thread but congrats on the RD, I hope it works out for you....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I'll stick up for Frag. I don't think he was criticizing, merely drawing the obvious conclusion. We can kid ourselves all we want to justify having the ol' RD, but we all truly know the primary goal is to avoid the speeding ticket.
The intrinsic problem with high speeds on rural roads it that you never know who or what is going to pull out in front of you.
And yes, I drive with RDs in my POVs even though I presumably might get somewhat of the benefit of the doubt if stopped for speeding (see bio).

·
Registered
918 Posts
I live in a rural area about 35 miles from a city of about 230,000. My town has a pop of about 1,800, and I love the laid back feeling I get out here. I'm also a medical student, so when I go to school/hospital, its 35 miles of straight highway. We are talking pretty rural here. Anyway, I drive anywhere between 75-80mph and I began to notice people in their cars were beginning to pace me. This drives me UP THE WALL. I'm not sure if they wanted to race me (2010 CM Limited 4x4) or had a large magnet attached to the front of their cars that was pulling them towards me. So I blast away from them and of course, a cop would be there some of the time going the opposite direction, doing radar.

Now, I have a strong feeling that many of these cities and smaller towns are busting folks for going as little as 1mph over because they need the $$. Budgets are getting slashed in many municipalities. But if I need to get to the hospital while I'm in training, especially while I'm a resident- I'm going to push it a bit. If I can do this safely, I see no problem with it- but I wont put up with people who insist on have nobody DARE pass them. So I bought a radar/laser detector. I've never tried to impress anyone with speed or what I drive because I'm not sure that anyone would ever care. I would also say thought that, when that Tundra gets past 75mph, its settles down and smoothes out and rides perfect. So to prioritize, they main reason for getting the RD are:

1) Other drivers
2) Police radar

-because #1 seems to lead into #2 (insert laugh here). But # 2 being the ultimate motivator (again, insert laugh).

BTW, when I say rural; I'm lucky to see 15-20 cars the entire 35 mile journey.
I have never owned one but will occasionally try to stay with people doing my speed while I'm on the highway in my CM in the hopes that they will get popped and not me. If you mean people hover in your blind spot or beside you, this drives me nuts and I will make every effort to create distance if its plausible. If they're well behind you or not tailgating or anything I don't understand what would get you worked up about it. I normally cruise anywhere between 75-85, and am not a particularly big fan of riding in clusters of vehicles if I can avoid it.

I have considered a radar detector but haven't seen enough of a motivation yet to pull the trigger. Cops almost never hide around here (Philly and outlying suburbs.) Philly PD often sits right out in the open where you can spot them a quarter mile away because they would rather you slow down than make them have to go to the trouble of chasing you down and doing paperwork. Staties don't have shootings and violence to respond to in the city every day, so they are more aggressive about traffic enforcement and will sometimes get sneaky about it. But I know all their hiding spots on the roads I travel.

·
Registered
860 Posts
to hell with all the excuses, er, reasoning. What kind of detector did you get and how do you like it? I've been using one I bought 15 years ago and need to upgrade. The newest Passports are nice because they include red light cameras and speed cams.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I thought once I clicked on this thread I would see a massive pic of a supercharger.

me too. now I have emptiness where a SC should be.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I used to speed. One day I did the math and figured out how much faster I'd arrive at my destination 10 or 20 miles away by bumping 10 or 15 over the limit. The 2 or 3 minutes wasn't near the cost and inconvenience of getting pulled over so I just cruise along at or a tick over the posted limit. I live in a rural area and to be honest I worry more about screwing my truck up by blasting a deer than I do getting a ticket.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I have never owned one but will occasionally try to stay with people doing my speed while I'm on the highway in my CM in the hopes that they will get popped and not me. If you mean people hover in your blind spot or behind you, this drives me nuts and I will make every effort to create distance if its plausible. If they're well behind you or not tailgating or anything I don't understand what would get you worked up about it. I normally cruise anywhere between 75-85, and am not a particularly big fan of riding in clusters of vehicles if I can avoid it.

I have considered a radar detector but haven't seen enough of a motivation yet to pull the trigger. Cops almost never hide around here (Philly and outlying suburbs.) Philly PD often sits right out in the open where you can spot them a quarter mile away because they would rather you slow down than make them have to go to the trouble of chasing you down and doing paperwork. Staties don't have shootings and violence to respond to in the city every day, so they are more aggressive about traffic enforcement and will sometimes get sneaky about it. But I know all their hiding spots on the roads I travel.
Thats exactly what I mean/ meant and I believe thats what the OP meant, although he is a big boy and can probably stick up for himself...thats all I was referring to...if he wants to speed and gets caught because of it, thats his business...

I never said anything about speeding being good or it being bad either...thats between the OP and the radar gun that nails him...:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
WOW!!!!! Barney....Popo, where are you when your needed? With speed comes death.......watched it for 38 years.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Its the other people PACING him that he does not like...probably because they don't have a radar detector and are using his...

I really don't like it when people pace me either...they are basically using me for the radar protection I provide, so its not a lame excuse...

Who are you to criticize...
I really don't think they are 'riding your radar'. You would be unlikely to be able to see mine from behind for example. Tailgating or sitting in the blind spot I don't like either and I would understand wanting to lose them.

However, the OP did not say tailgating and he mentioned a 'magnet' in the front bumper of the car behind. ergo, I drew the conclusion that he did not like someone directly behind him at the same speed. Not only that, but it seemed from the OP that the 'pacing' was occurring BEFORE he got the radar detector. Now maybe he just didn't not explain himself correctly and meant the blind spot, but my response was not based on that.

Of course, any of us who have been driving for a long time would realize that if the other driver WAS in the blind spot, and you were going at a fair lick already, you COULD just back off too. It's really OK to let them pass. Not to mention that if this is a multi-lane and there are so few cars, then you ought to keep to the right.

Yeah, it's human nature to want to punish the 'wrongdoer'. I've been as guilty of this in the past as anyone, but i'm older now.

And it isn't criticism, really it isn't. It's advice. If people don't want responses, then it's probably not a great idea to post on a forum.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like to "set the pace for safety" whenever possible:D. A few years ago we had major construction on a local highway and it was down to one lane each way for a few miles. I absolutely loved getting in there and driving the posted 45 while watching the animations behind me in the rear view. I had people waving their arms, blowing their horns and cursing me daily. It just gave me a sick, twisted pleasure to make sure none of us got tagged in a construction area.
I'm not telling anyone how to drive, please take no offense at all. Just giving a different view. I had to sit through a 4 hour traffic school once and caught the judge that made us all turn in 2 full pages of notes when we paid our fine. I ain't goin back again. :laughing3d::laughing3d:

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I really don't think they are 'riding your radar'. You would be unlikely to be able to see mine from behind for example. Tailgating or sitting in the blind spot I don't like either and I would understand wanting to lose them.

However, the OP did not say tailgating and he mentioned a 'magnet' in the front bumper of the car behind. ergo, I drew the conclusion that he did not like someone directly behind him at the same speed. Not only that, but it seemed from the OP that the 'pacing' was occurring BEFORE he got the radar detector. Now maybe he just didn't not explain himself correctly and meant the blind spot, but my response was not based on that.

Of course, any of us who have been driving for a long time would realize that if the other driver WAS in the blind spot, and you were going at a fair lick already, you COULD just back off too. It's really OK to let them pass. Not to mention that if this is a multi-lane and there are so few cars, then you ought to keep to the right.

Yeah, it's human nature to want to punish the 'wrongdoer'. I've been as guilty of this in the past as anyone, but i'm older now.

And it isn't criticism, really it isn't. It's advice. If people don't want responses, then it's probably not a great idea to post on a forum.
Again, all I was sayin was I don't like it when people drive up my butt and stay there, at whatever speed I happen to be traveling at the time (possibly well under the limit...).

Sounds to me like most others don't like it either and I certainly have slowed down in order to let them pass, from time-to-time...

Now a disclaimer: If the OP wants to buy a radar detector sos he can go slightly over the speed limit, while trying to put some distance between his truck and the above mentioned pacers, its OK with me...is all.

So congrats to the OP on his purchase, if thats what he is looking for...

...and as George Thorogood once said, "When I speed alone, I like to be by myself"...:)

·
Registered
889 Posts
...I don't like it when people drive up my butt and stay there, at whatever speed I happen to be traveling at the time (possibly well under the limit...).
If someone really tailgating me and I'm doing over speed or at the speed limit... I usually hit the brake really hard and speed up again. If they rear end my truck... that will teach them the lesson of not tailgating me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
eh..

I don't mind if people pace me to use my radar. I take this in stride and believe I am providing a public service to my fellow "police-avoiding" drivers.

So... what did you get and how do you like it?!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.