Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was greeted this morning with several emails from people about a story that was posted over at Edmunds. I'll tell you what I told them. A story about a Tundra Cummings diesel was published at Edmunds when a writer took a comment from a Toyota corporate car manager and wrote a story about it. Specifically the car manager said "The diesel engine is something that is on our evaluation list", "LoFaso said during an interview at a press event".

LoFaso doesn't even work in Trucks, he's a corporate car manager. Moreover we all know Toyota has been "evaluating" the diesel option for a decade and they're not going to do anything with it. If I learned anything from Toyota over the past 14 years is that they don't start rumors or freely give out product information ahead of time. People working there know they'll lose their jobs if they break that rule. When I read the story at Edmunds I was coincidentally greeted with a handful of Toyota advertisements.

I then followed the rumor to Google search, which lead me to a whole bunch of auto sites that reposted parts of the story with links back to Edmunds. I followed some of those links, which, ended up being referral links that took me right back to Edmunds. In the end I have to question what the real motivation was for posting the story, but feel free to draw your own conclusion and post it here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
putting a diesel motor in a truck DOES NOT make it a heavy duty truck. people do not understand that. I wish so much that Toyota would make a 1 ton truck (until the 2014 came out, in which case I wouldn't buy it anyway cause of how awful it looks). I like Nissans plan to put a small diesel in a half ton for mpg and torque's sake, but I have a feeling that people will think of it as a 3/4 ton and start towing and hauling wayyyyy too much with it because they think "diesel" means 8 lugs and 800 hp

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
They already have them in Tacoma's and Tundra's over seas. You could always import one.

Diesels in Tundras overseas????

Really????

Back to the OP, why would Toy contract to Cummins when they have a diesel suitable for this segment used in other markets?? (The 4.5L diesel used in the LC)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The tundra is built only for North America. No diesel in a Tundra exists. The smaller truck called the Hilux in other parts of the world use a diesel that is not offered in the US or Canada

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Maybe he got the Tundra info from the same place that dude got the info that Ford owns Cummins???.........:):):):)

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are ton of people out there that are misinformed of the right or true info on lots of subjects. The auto industry sometimes the worst. Sales people sometimes can be the worst at least in the past from my experience. But that's why we have these forums to teach all of us the right info that we need to know. Just a honest mistake on the 2 other guys in here. I remember that rumor about ford owning Cummins diesel. The funny thing I heard lots of that from Ford guys. I would save my energy and let them go on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will tell you, there is NO diesel in Tundras. I have some good friends that work down in San Antonio at the plant and they are not building Tundras with a diesel in it. I know when we started building them up here in Princeton Indiana, there was talk but the market has to be really good in buyers before they do the diesel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd love a diesel for mpg and longevity! In 2015 Dodge is putting a 3.0 V6 diesel into the 1500 and Grand Cherokee, calling it an ECO DIESEL. It still has a lot of torque,because its a diesel. The 1 ton with the big diesel would be AWESOME, but I'd take the 5L Cummins the 2016 Titian is getting.

·
Registered
594 Posts
nobody really wants a diesel in a half ton, you only hear this crap on the net.

If you want high torque, then you want a 3/4 frame.

If you want high MPGs, then whatever you save on fuel will be offset by the extra maintenance costs of a diesel.

Toyota knows this. They know how to sell vehicles better than we do. They are not gonna spend the r&d to bring one of their diesels up to US standards when they know good and well that they wont sell.

·
Registered
287 Posts
nobody really wants a diesel in a half ton, you only hear this crap on the net.

If you want high torque, then you want a 3/4 frame.

If you want high MPGs, then whatever you save on fuel will be offset by the extra maintenance costs of a diesel.

Toyota knows this. They know how to sell vehicles better than we do. They are not gonna spend the r&d to bring one of their diesels up to US standards when they know good and well that they wont sell.
This is not totally true. What if you could get the same torque as the 5.7, but in an engine about half the size that gets nearly twice the fuel economy? This would be quite doable with some kind of turbo diesel. The problem these days is the idiotic emission standards set by the gov't.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This is not totally true. What if you could get the same torque as the 5.7, but in an engine about half the size that gets nearly twice the fuel economy? This would be quite doable with some kind of turbo diesel. The problem these days is the idiotic emission standards set by the gov't.
A 30mpg diesel might have similar torque, but it would have a lot less HP. So you will be driving a half ton truck, with the same torque as the 5.7L, same tow ratings, a lot less power (less acceleration), and an annual maintenance bill that will almost wipe out your diesel annual fuel savings... does not sound like a winner to me.

I would much rather have a gasser half ton with great acceleration, 10K towing, and a low maintenance bill... even if I do have to spend $2k more per year in fuel.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Think about it this way. Before the ecoboost F150 no one would want a V6 either.

It is something worth putting out there. To someone like me it would save some money. I can drive over 5000 miles a month.

It sounds like when Cummins said they can sustain 2 light truck manufactures they were referring to Ram and Nissan.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If they can use a simple inline motor and really figure out the emissions stuff like VW has, I'd buy one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would love toyota to put an inline six diesel in their tundra, I'd buy one. I borrowed my brothers dodge 5.9 diesel truck with some mods and went 500 miles round trip and averaged 22 mpg's in a full size truck. I drive a lot of miles for work and the long life diesels are known for with the tourque and mpg's would be worth it enough to me. The reason I didn't buy a 3/4 or 1ton truck is because the half ton's drive much better, more like a car than a truck.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A 30mpg diesel might have similar torque, but it would have a lot less HP. So you will be driving a half ton truck, with the same torque as the 5.7L, same tow ratings, a lot less power (less acceleration), and an annual maintenance bill that will almost wipe out your diesel annual fuel savings... does not sound like a winner to me.

I would much rather have a gasser half ton with great acceleration, 10K towing, and a low maintenance bill... even if I do have to spend $2k more per year in fuel.
You can build diesels to be fast, so if you're interested in speed, a diesel is easy to tune up. You can get enormous amounts of torque out of them which can make them fast. My neighbors 1 ton dodge 6.7L smokes my 5.7L tundra, just saying..

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.