Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Ram with the Hemi. I have the Quad Cab also and it is pretty roomy. I love Dodge's styling which I believe most have followed since 02 The truck rides like a dream IMO. Power is good and styling is good. But have had numerous problems. First the wheel bearing went, then a valve spring broke, the whole motor had to be replaced. Now the front brake sensor has went bad and the rear brake is locking up needing new calipers tomorrow. I only have 54,000 on the truck now. I am thinking of trading possibly in the next year for either the Tundra or new re-designed 09 Ram that has yet to be seen. How does Toyota's new Tundra compare to your Ram? I would like to hear from folks who have owned both now. I have not driven the new Rams either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a 03 2500 4x4 Quad 6 speed for 2 years. This is not the same truck but close. The rear seat room is better in the Toyota. The ride is comparable the Toyota turns better and has looser steering. I will not compare power as I had the diesel and the Toyota is gas. I liked the Dodge other than all the problems. I think if I had a good dealer then I would still be in the truck. I like my Toyota I only have 2500 miles on it no problems, and it pulls my trailer good.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I currently have an 04 Dodge Ram SLT q/c with the Hemi. I have 69,000 miles and have had very little trouble and I drive it hard but keep it serviced well. It has been a great truck and I can't say anything bad about unlike some of the fords I had. I have an 07 Tundra CrewMax ordered and my Ram is sold. The buyer of my Ram is waiting until my CrewMax comes in. I would more than likely buy another Dodge (I've had a 96, 98, and 04) again but I would get the Mega Cab for more interior room. This will be my first Toyota and foreign (it's actually more American than my Dodge), vehicle that I have owned.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have babied this truck to death and it has let me down big time. I have all the service records and always took it back to the dealership I bought it from for service. It looks like new still. It is the SLT trim level also and loved it until 40k then it went downhill. The wheel bearing went and then at around 49k miles the valve spring broke and blew the whole motor. Now I have to take it back to the dealership tomorrow for the brake sensor and rear calipers which they didn't have and had to order last week. Thats another thing I am kinda fed up with this dealership. I have spent 40k over there on the truck and all the extras and serviced I have had done. Including some Michelin 20 tires I bought for 1k. The when it blew I didn't even ask for a vehicle I drove another car of mine for 5 weeks until they fixed the truck. I don't have the car now and last week they wanted to give me a damn Mini van to drive until the parts came in to fix the brakes. I said forget it, I will drive my truck and buy new rear pads if I have to. They stoped locking up anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Buy the Tundra!...you will not have any problems! I too had Dodge with numerious problems, same with Ford F-250 crew cab with 7.3 diesel. I bought a newToyota pick up in 1993, drove 173,000 miles with no major problems. I currently have a 2005 Tundra double cab ltd, and I love it. I'll have to admit, the Tundra does not have the style of the f-150, or Dodge Ram, but the Tundra will run forever. you need to decide what is more important, style or reliablility. Don't get me wrong, the Tundra is a great looking truck. I get alot of compliments. Again, buy the Tundra and save yourself all of those trips to the repair shop. The only thing you need to do on a Toyota is change the oil. Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't comment on Dodge trucks since I've never owned one, but IMO, reliability is everything.

I only have a measly 10k trouble-free miles on my first Toyota (an 06 DC), so I can't really comment on that either since I'm still breaking it in.

But I can tell you that on occasion I'll walk past my wife's Accord in the garage with over 85k and think "Crap, when was the last time I took that thing to the shop? Surely it's time to replace...um...something..."

As far as I'm concerned, the vehicle to buy is the one that has to remind you of a shop visit with its MAINT REQD light!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ive owned 2 dodges now, 04 and 05 Ram 1500s, both reg. cab sports, one 2wd, one 4wd. Both had hemis and were pretty good outfitted. Im still driving the 4x4 right now, supposed to hopefully pick up the new Tundra next week. I was looking for a new truck and liked the dodges at first. Id seen the Tundras and thought they were nice looking, and heard about the new motor so I figured what the hey. I test drove one and was extremely impressed. I like the dash alot more than the dodges, the interior overall just felt nicer, cleaner, smoother than the dodges. I also noticed how much quieter in cab it was than my 05. The one I test drove just had the 4.0 v6 so Im looking forward to getting mine w/ the 5.7. Still, it drove good, comfortable, responsive steering I thought, great ride.

All in all, in simplest terms, I stuck the dodge truck sheet id built online in the trash and found a Tundra like I want and hope to be behind the wheel soon.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I owned 2 dodges before I bought the Tundra (98 and 04). No major issues with any of them...both were very solid. You will not find me bashing the dodge trucks.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I had a 96 Ram 2500 HD 4X4 V10. Loved the look and the drive, BUT, the truck was a total POS. Kept it one day shy of two years. There were several things Chrysler could not fix even though the truck was under warranty. The sad thing is I was a Chrysler dealer service advisor at the time. I have an old friend with a 05 Ram 2500 HD, Cummins. Has a lifter noise the dealer is trying to pass off as an injector noise and refuses to check the adjustment. Speaking from experience, Chrysler dealers do not like to do warranty work. Stick with a Toyota.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Its really all personal preference. I have driven both and been impressed with both. We have had dodge rams since 1995 all the way up to 2007. We right now have an 07 dodge ram 2500 quad cab slt cummings with the new 6.7....An 06 2500 mega cab laramie 4x4 cummings with the 5.9....An 06 dodge ram 1500 4x4 laramie with the hemi and my 04 dodge ram 1500 4x4 hemi that is all tricked out...(its my baby). My mother used to sell toyotas at a local dealership for 11 years so we have owned several toyota's including the tundra. We have never had any problems with our dodges and they have all had routine maintence except for one. My 04 Hemi rear end went out 2 months ago and i had to replace the gears and seal. The truck never had a problem till it hit 99,500. Now i have this truck lifted with 35/13.50/18 and i dog the **** out of this truck in the mud and towing 7000lbs + almost 3 times a week so if you ask me, the fact nothing broke sooner is amazing. If you compare both trucks before the new 2007 tundras came out..i would def go with the dodge. But to each person you have different uses for your vehicle. I use mine for towing, hauling around people, and mudding. The 4.7 would never match the hemi power wise with a max towing capacity of i think 6800lbs in the double cab vs. the 8100lbs in the quad cab hemi. The toyota is a little more comfortable inside then the dodge and is a little more car like. The new body style of the 06 and up dodge is redesinged and is quiter inside then our 06 limited avalon or atleast pretty damn close too it. The new tundra however is an actual true half town as the previous one was only a 7/8ths. It has the most horsepower and torque out of any half town with 381hp/401lb. It looks really good too and the Crew max is really big.(Its not as big as our mega cab but it has plenty of room) It is really you own choice on which you want to buy because they are both great trucks but the toyota will probably be a little bit more reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buy a Toyota. Never owned a Dodge but have owned Ford and Chev. Toyota engineering can't be beat. I have owned Toyotas since the late 70's. They are designed to make sense and to last. Toyota takes it's profits and re-invests into research & development to produce a product that outperforms.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My title says it all!! Only Toyota for me.

I have always been able to count on my Yota's. They've never let me down & I won't even consider another manufacturer.
Unless they let me down, I will always have Toyota.

Sorry, but i've never owned a dog but, GM has been horrible for me. After 60k the problems start.

Word of advise......Get the tundra!! You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have never owned a Toy but know darn good
and well that they do produce a good product.
They just cost so much.

I now have 26K on my 04 Hemi Ram and have had
no major problems. A few small things but nothing
to do with the powertrain. Broken valve springs were
a problem on the 03's. I have only heard of a couple
of cases with newer models. Other 3rd Gen Ram issues.
Tranny problems but no where near as much as the
2nd Gen Rams had. Pinion seal leak on the rearend.
Not a huge problem but does happen. The LS retaining
clips in rearrend tended to brake. More of an issue
with pre 04 models. A big issue was with warping rotors.
Much of this problem was caused by improper wheel
lug torque on vehicles equiped with 20" aluminum wheels.
I think the Big 3 know that they have to continue to
strive for a better product. They are well aware of
Honda, Nissan and Toyota's reputation for quality. The
difference between my 99 Ram and my 04 is night
and day.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I had a Old Dodge (318) and that was one tough truck. We owned a hauling business and that truck did some serious work. I had an F-150 right before my Tundra and was seriously un impressed and the towing was HORRIBLE. This "Little" 4.7 tows better then both (2006 Double Cab). So the new 5.7 would do even better. My friend Steve owns a trailer sales business and drives a Dodge Extra Cab with a Hemi. He towed with my Tundra and commented on how much better it tows then his Dodge. I can not comment because I have yet to tow with his Dodge but I can say when we go to the desert he is bringing up the rear and can not hang when we get to the 1 mountain climb. He tows an enclosed box trailer (Not a toyhauler with living quarters) with a buggy in it and I tow below which is actually heavier then his.

I can not knock Dodge because the one I owned was strong and 2 of my friends own them with no issues to date. One has the Cummins and the other as mentioned has the Hemi.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have an '02 Ram Quad Cab (first of the new design). I love the looks of it. Little nagging interior issues started happening within 6 months - ashtray fell out, overhead sunglass storage wouldn't stay closed, seat belt wouldn't stay in straight in the clip. I hope Dodge saved at least $3 in the manufacturing process by using such cheap plastic parts. I've never been happy with the gas mileage of about 14 mixed use. At 90K it has started to become expensive - rack & pinion, no heat, radiator. After 3 Dodges in a row, this is probably my last one. I'm not terribly dissatisifed with the truck but I'm ready for something new and the 09's are at least a year-and-a-half away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am loving my Ram. Not to mention I paid 23k drive out.

But if prices were equivalent I woulda taken the Toyota.

I love how the Dodge Ram looks. It is a beauty.....I love Toyota simply because my dad has owned them for over 20 years and has had little problems with them... I plan on taking good care of my Ram, so I shouldn't expect any major problems.

Just the other day I caught up with a new Tundra... There was a stop light and we stopped and looked at each others truck... IMO, the ram is a better looking truck.
Either way, I am really excited about my truck.

Both are great trucks, imo. :D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have never owned a Toy but know darn good
and well that they do produce a good product.
They just cost so much.
I really disagree w/ that. I dont know of other prices, just the type I was looking for, but the Ram like I wanted was an 07 model, 1500 sport rc/sb 2wd w/ 5.7/auto. The way I had it configured had most the common bells/whistles if you will, plus I added leather buckets and power pedals. The sticker was $34515 on it. The Toyota Im hopefully picking up next Monday is an 07 sport rc/sb 2wd w/ 5.7/auto. It has all the features of the ram plus some, the only things it doesnt have are the leather and power pedals I mentioned above. Sticker on it was $28811. Almost $6000 less than the dodge. Now granted, dodge has the 5k rebate on right now, but even after that the dodge is still more. Plus I got the Toyota for $1k under sticker.

I just wanted to point that out as everybody says they are more expensive, but when you think about it a little more, they really arent (in my case anyway). I have really enjoyed my dodges, neither have had any problems. I think the dodges still look great and they would definitely be my number 2 if the Tundras werent out.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I bought my '95 Ram 1500 Supercab Longbed 4X2 brand new. Loved the look and still do. It was a great truck until it hit 75,000 miles. Then it started falling apart. It got to the point where I could have spent a thousand dollars a month trying to keep it on the road. I also had experienced the dealer who never could find the problems I would describe while under warranty but after the warranty expired they diagnosed the problems right away.

My wife's last car was a Ford Windstar that we had custom built for her. Paid $31,000 for it. We had to sell it five years later for $6000. It had never been in an accident and looked brand new. But mechanically it was a piece of junk. Same complaint about Ford service department. Warranty problems could never be found.

My in-laws have owned Toyotas and Hondas for years with no problems and always had good things to say about the quality of the service departments.

I was fed up with the unreliability of the "Big Three." It was time for a change. My wife now drives a Honda (with no troubles at all) and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Tundra.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really disagree w/ that. I dont know of other prices, just the type I was looking for, but the Ram like I wanted was an 07 model, 1500 sport rc/sb 2wd w/ 5.7/auto. The way I had it configured had most the common bells/whistles if you will, plus I added leather buckets and power pedals. The sticker was $34515 on it. The Toyota Im hopefully picking up next Monday is an 07 sport rc/sb 2wd w/ 5.7/auto. It has all the features of the ram plus some, the only things it doesnt have are the leather and power pedals I mentioned above. Sticker on it was $28811. Almost $6000 less than the dodge. Now granted, dodge has the 5k rebate on right now, but even after that the dodge is still more. Plus I got the Toyota for $1k under sticker.

I just wanted to point that out as everybody says they are more expensive, but when you think about it a little more, they really arent (in my case anyway). I have really enjoyed my dodges, neither have had any problems. I think the dodges still look great and they would definitely be my number 2 if the Tundras werent out.

I would say that you paid a pretty good price! My 04 Hemi
Ram Sport is pretty loaded. Has just about everything.
No leather. The sticker on mine was $29900. I paid
$22340 for it. Of course the best time to buy is late in the
year. Thats when they have just started to get the
new ones (05's in my case) in and want to unload all
the new previous year vehicles.

Oh!! You got to get that RCSB Beast to a track. I am
dying to see what one is capable of.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought my '95 Ram 1500 Supercab Longbed 4X2 brand new. Loved the look and still do. It was a great truck until it hit 75,000 miles. Then it started falling apart. It got to the point where I could have spent a thousand dollars a month trying to keep it on the road. I also had experienced the dealer who never could find the problems I would describe while under warranty but after the warranty expired they diagnosed the problems right away.

My wife's last car was a Ford Windstar that we had custom built for her. Paid $31,000 for it. We had to sell it five years later for $6000. It had never been in an accident and looked brand new. But mechanically it was a piece of junk. Same complaint about Ford service department. Warranty problems could never be found.

My in-laws have owned Toyotas and Hondas for years with no problems and always had good things to say about the quality of the service departments.

I was fed up with the unreliability of the "Big Three." It was time for a change. My wife now drives a Honda (with no troubles at all) and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Tundra.

I hear what your saying! The 1995 Rams had all
kinds of problems. The auto trannys were the
biggest issue. A major problem with the Gen.II
5.2 and 5.9L engines was a intake manifold plenum
leak. I believe their were also water pump and
brake issues as well. The difference in quality
between a 95 Gen II and a 04-06 Gen III is night
and day.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts