Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have never owned a Toy but know darn good
and well that they do produce a good product.
They just cost so much.

I now have 26K on my 04 Hemi Ram and have had
no major problems. A few small things but nothing
to do with the powertrain. Broken valve springs were
a problem on the 03's. I have only heard of a couple
of cases with newer models. Other 3rd Gen Ram issues.
Tranny problems but no where near as much as the
2nd Gen Rams had. Pinion seal leak on the rearend.
Not a huge problem but does happen. The LS retaining
clips in rearrend tended to brake. More of an issue
with pre 04 models. A big issue was with warping rotors.
Much of this problem was caused by improper wheel
lug torque on vehicles equiped with 20" aluminum wheels.
I think the Big 3 know that they have to continue to
strive for a better product. They are well aware of
Honda, Nissan and Toyota's reputation for quality. The
difference between my 99 Ram and my 04 is night
and day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really disagree w/ that. I dont know of other prices, just the type I was looking for, but the Ram like I wanted was an 07 model, 1500 sport rc/sb 2wd w/ 5.7/auto. The way I had it configured had most the common bells/whistles if you will, plus I added leather buckets and power pedals. The sticker was $34515 on it. The Toyota Im hopefully picking up next Monday is an 07 sport rc/sb 2wd w/ 5.7/auto. It has all the features of the ram plus some, the only things it doesnt have are the leather and power pedals I mentioned above. Sticker on it was $28811. Almost $6000 less than the dodge. Now granted, dodge has the 5k rebate on right now, but even after that the dodge is still more. Plus I got the Toyota for $1k under sticker.

I just wanted to point that out as everybody says they are more expensive, but when you think about it a little more, they really arent (in my case anyway). I have really enjoyed my dodges, neither have had any problems. I think the dodges still look great and they would definitely be my number 2 if the Tundras werent out.

I would say that you paid a pretty good price! My 04 Hemi
Ram Sport is pretty loaded. Has just about everything.
No leather. The sticker on mine was $29900. I paid
$22340 for it. Of course the best time to buy is late in the
year. Thats when they have just started to get the
new ones (05's in my case) in and want to unload all
the new previous year vehicles.

Oh!! You got to get that RCSB Beast to a track. I am
dying to see what one is capable of.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought my '95 Ram 1500 Supercab Longbed 4X2 brand new. Loved the look and still do. It was a great truck until it hit 75,000 miles. Then it started falling apart. It got to the point where I could have spent a thousand dollars a month trying to keep it on the road. I also had experienced the dealer who never could find the problems I would describe while under warranty but after the warranty expired they diagnosed the problems right away.

My wife's last car was a Ford Windstar that we had custom built for her. Paid $31,000 for it. We had to sell it five years later for $6000. It had never been in an accident and looked brand new. But mechanically it was a piece of junk. Same complaint about Ford service department. Warranty problems could never be found.

My in-laws have owned Toyotas and Hondas for years with no problems and always had good things to say about the quality of the service departments.

I was fed up with the unreliability of the "Big Three." It was time for a change. My wife now drives a Honda (with no troubles at all) and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Tundra.

I hear what your saying! The 1995 Rams had all
kinds of problems. The auto trannys were the
biggest issue. A major problem with the Gen.II
5.2 and 5.9L engines was a intake manifold plenum
leak. I believe their were also water pump and
brake issues as well. The difference in quality
between a 95 Gen II and a 04-06 Gen III is night
and day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right on all scores. It seemed like that Ram had to have new brake pads with every oil change. The tranny was fine as long as you never needed 1st or 4th gear. Also put in two starters, four radiators, four heater coils, and two steering systems.

I am glad to hear that you are happy with your Ram. I was happy with mine too for the first 70 or 75K miles. But, if I were you, I'd be stashing away a few dollars a month for a future replacement, just in case.

I bought an extended warranty so I am not worrying
about saving my $$.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.