Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've never owned a Tundra, or driven one more then 500 feet (I work at a car wash, so I've been all over one but only driven it a short distance to dump water from the bed)
Anyway, right now my F150 is in the shop and I have a rental which is a 2006 Ram 1500 w/the 4.7
I've gotta say, I like it more then my F150 (it's only a 4.2) but the one thing I dislike on the Dodges is the interior.
The plastic is just too cheap, but it is very fun to drive.
The Tundra on the other hand is a 10 in my book.
When I can afford one, I will own one. But pulling minimum at a car wash in high school makes that very distant.

But..yeah.
Ram's are nice,
But Tundra's are just plain sexy.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I hear what your saying! The 1995 Rams had all
kinds of problems. The auto trannys were the
biggest issue. A major problem with the Gen.II
5.2 and 5.9L engines was a intake manifold plenum
leak. I believe their were also water pump and
brake issues as well. The difference in quality
between a 95 Gen II and a 04-06 Gen III is night
and day.
Right on all scores. It seemed like that Ram had to have new brake pads with every oil change. The tranny was fine as long as you never needed 1st or 4th gear. Also put in two starters, four radiators, four heater coils, and two steering systems.

I am glad to hear that you are happy with your Ram. I was happy with mine too for the first 70 or 75K miles. But, if I were you, I'd be stashing away a few dollars a month for a future replacement, just in case.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bought my Ram in 04 after driving Toyota trucks every since I turned 16.
I just wanted a change. I can honestly say that it's been a good truck. I think on average that you will have better luck with a Toyota BUT that doesn't mean that you might not get a Tundra that's a total lemon or a ram that goes forever. I've seen both.

I had thought for the longest time that I would be all over the new Tundra but something strange happened, I fell in love with my Ram at some point.. Once the Tundras came out, I just couldn't find a reason to get one. I just can't imagine getting rid of my ram, especially when I would have to pay more money to get the Tundra.

·
Registered
76 Posts
buy a toyota i'll tell you why they hold there value unlike dodge one of writers at the dealership where i work has a dodge 1500 hemi and it is worth nothing and it is an 2005 he can't trade it in no where he wants a mustang the ford dealership doesn't want his truck they told him they're going to auction and offered him $9500.00 that didn't even pay it off that's total crap

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
buy a toyota i'll tell you why they hold there value unlike dodge one of writers at the dealership where i work has a dodge 1500 hemi and it is worth nothing and it is an 2005 he can't trade it in no where he wants a mustang the ford dealership doesn't want his truck they told him they're going to auction and offered him $9500.00 that didn't even pay it off that's total crap
Total crap = BIG 3 !!!

They all did it to you, it's their own damn fault.....0% interest.....$6000 rebates.....100k mile (B.S.) warranty.

My bro took it in the a$$ with his 03 peice of hud tahoe he got for 0% interest & 40k. He lost $26k on the trade (07 sequoia)w/ only 36k miles. Thank you GM, we will be sure not to buy another vehicle from you again.

I refuse to play the big 3 kind of games, even if they are cheaper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2002 quad cab 1500 ram with the 5.9 360. At first i liked it but around 50k miles things started going wrong. Make a long story short i had the transmission rebuilt twice. both times out of my pocket. the truck was expensive to own. it was bad on gas, sucked at towing, back seat was very uncomfortable, not easy to work on and GOD help you if you had to go to the dealer for anything. All in all it was not the best experiance. I would not recommend that truck to anyone. If you are dead set on buying a dodge get the 2500 diesel. Otherwise avoid. I now own a black 2006 tundra 2wd XSP and love it. The Jap's really do there homework before releasing a product. The other sad thing is that my toyota is more american than any of the other big three.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right on all scores. It seemed like that Ram had to have new brake pads with every oil change. The tranny was fine as long as you never needed 1st or 4th gear. Also put in two starters, four radiators, four heater coils, and two steering systems.

I am glad to hear that you are happy with your Ram. I was happy with mine too for the first 70 or 75K miles. But, if I were you, I'd be stashing away a few dollars a month for a future replacement, just in case.

I bought an extended warranty so I am not worrying
about saving my $$.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Total crap = BIG 3 !!!

They all did it to you, it's their own damn fault.....0% interest.....$6000 rebates.....100k mile (B.S.) warranty.

My bro took it in the a$$ with his 03 peice of hud tahoe he got for 0% interest & 40k. He lost $26k on the trade (07 sequoia)w/ only 36k miles. Thank you GM, we will be sure not to buy another vehicle from you again.

I refuse to play the big 3 kind of games, even if they are cheaper.
Seems to me like that would be your brothers fault if he lost that much money. That's basic math. I don't see where his arm got twisted by anyone...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Seems to me like that would be your brothers fault if he lost that much money. That's basic math. I don't see where his arm got twisted by anyone...
Well, when you don't have the time to screw with the dealership on warranty issues. Then yes, his arm was twisted. We beleive that reliability is worth a lot of $.

So, my point was.....domestics are screwing all of you on new rigs. And a lot of people are buying into it.
These poor folks don't see the handwriting on the wall; Like....Gee...i wonder why toyota is thriving & the big 3 are diving?
Lot's of issues....

As far as i'm concerned, the domestics will NEVER be on my shopping list.

Another thing:

**03 tahoe trade in = $16k ---only 36k miles & emaculate
**02 LTD sequoia trade in= $16k---80k miles, bumper scratched badly, leather starting to wear.
Both paid exactly the same amount new. Sorry, but that is pure bull$hit!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought my Ram in 04 after driving Toyota trucks every since I turned 16.
I just wanted a change. I can honestly say that it's been a good truck. I think on average that you will have better luck with a Toyota BUT that doesn't mean that you might not get a Tundra that's a total lemon or a ram that goes forever. I've seen both.

I had thought for the longest time that I would be all over the new Tundra but something strange happened, I fell in love with my Ram at some point.. Once the Tundras came out, I just couldn't find a reason to get one. I just can't imagine getting rid of my ram, especially when I would have to pay more money to get the Tundra.
The reason you can't find a reason to get rid of it is because you have a Cummins. I miss my 03 Ram 2500. I am looking the new Tundra and an 06 Ram 2500 CTD. Dodge announced 0% for 72 months and the 06s are selling for about 10k off sticker.

But the new Tundra is one heck of truck. I drove one about 100 miles and loved it. I had a 2000 Tundra and it was great, 0 problems when I traded it in at about 98k miles and 0 problems with my 97 Tacoma at about the same mileage. But the diesel puts a grin on your face with all that low end torque.

I will say the Tundra is better built in every aspect, but I still might end up with a Dodge.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, when you don't have the time to screw with the dealership on warranty issues. Then yes, his arm was twisted. We beleive that reliability is worth a lot of $.

So, my point was.....domestics are screwing all of you on new rigs. And a lot of people are buying into it.
These poor folks don't see the handwriting on the wall; Like....Gee...i wonder why toyota is thriving & the big 3 are diving?
Lot's of issues....

As far as i'm concerned, the domestics will NEVER be on my shopping list.

Another thing:

**03 tahoe trade in = $16k ---only 36k miles & emaculate
**02 LTD sequoia trade in= $16k---80k miles, bumper scratched badly, leather starting to wear.
Both paid exactly the same amount new. Sorry, but that is pure bull$hit!

I'm sorry, but I don't see it like you do. How are domestics screwing anyone by offering 0% and 100,000 mile warranties??? Seems like Toyota is the one screwing people with their high rates and sub-par warranty.

Also, you can't base the value of a vehicle off of what a dealer offers on trade. You could take the same truck to 5 different dealerships and get 5 different trade in values. (BTW- Based on what you told us, the NADA trade in on a 03 Tahoe Ls (not loaded) 4x4 w/ 37 k is $19,775. The NADA on an 02 Seqouia LTD 4x4 with 87k is $17,450, probably less with the damage you described)....

Two years ago I would have been right there with you on your crusade to claim that Toyota's are trouble free and better than every other car on the planet in every aspect. However, that was before I bought my 2004 POS 4runner and my 2005 rattle box Scion TC. I still think they make great cars and trucks BUT there's no guarantee that you will get a trouble free car just because it has a Toyota badge anymore. My 98 Tacoma was the last great Toyota I owned, the newer ones have not been so great.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
I owned a 03 Dodge Ram 2003 Dodge 2500 RAM Quad Cab 4X4 Laramie Long Bed and it being a 3/4 ton with the Hemi it was terrible to tow with as the Hemi is a high reving engine with no low end grunt at low rpms. I only had minor problems with my dodge like a leaky seal in the rear tail light which caused the tail light to burn out, a faulty sensor in the defroster/heat system and a weird issue with the engine dying for no reason, but that magically fixed itself after 10k miles. I traded in my 00 Tundra 2000 Toyota Tundra LTD TRD for the 03 dodge because the Tundra could not safely tow the 6k lb loads with over 1k lb payloads. I ended up trading in the 03 Dodge for a 05 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LWB 4x4 325hp/610tq Cummins Diesel and with no regrets. I've had my 05 for two years now this April and after 19k miles had no issues and it's been a really solid truck. I do love the new Tundra, but compared to the dodge it just seem a bit "cheap" in the door hinges, sheet metal used in the bed and the interior hard plastics. I am a bit concerned about the skinny leave springs in the rear too, but maybe thats because I have a 3/4 ton and mine are so big. If I was looking for a solid 1/2 ton pickup the Tundra would be first on my list hands down! :tu: However if there was a 3/4 ton Tundra I think Dodge would win my heart hands down! :D

One other thing about my dodge... With the Cummins Diesel you get a true medium duty engine unlike the light duty engine you find with the Powerstroke and Duramax, plus the Cummins has less moving parts and makes more tq per cubic inch at lower rpms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just drove one this afternoon. It was very nice and I felt the double cab seemed to be the same size as my Quad Cab Ram. The handling was different. I liked the interior better and it looks more quality than the Dodge. The trucks look better in person than the pics. I liked the steering on my Dodge better. It was a bit easier on the Tundra but there was more play in the wheel, not as precise. Also I felt the Dodge's ride is better and offers a more plush or car type ride than the Tundra which seemed just a tad stiffer. Very nice and if I was just gonna buy a brand new truck Today this would probably be the one. However since my Ram is already paid for, only has 54,000 miles on it plus LineX and other add ons I don't really feel it would be smmart to trade just yet. I 've got three more years or 18,000 more miles left on the warranty also. The guy was real nice at the dealership. He went with me on the test and said they had a crewmax comming in 2 weeks he would callme. But to be honest the DB is really bigger than I expected and seemed to be the same as the Ram. I would like the 6.5 bed better I believe. Enjoyed the ride though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
i wonder if the next ram will look like one of these
I highly doubt it. I hope they up the ante on the interior quality more than anything else. I still love my 03 even after all of these problems. I enjoyed the Toyota today and would say its of higher quality. But I like the ride and styling of the Ram better. Plus the Hemi is no slouch and can do anything I need done and has that fun factor also. The Ram has a bigger more Caddy like ride and feel to it. If I was buying a new truck now and had nothing the Toyota would it. Its the smartest choice and investment. All the way around, quality, power, warranty, reliability etc... I mean Dodge has the sorriest warranty of anyone now. The 3 year 36,000 warranty sucks. They should offer more or bring back the 7/70 warranty they had when I bought my truck. Thats was big reason I went with Dodge. It would have cost me 5 or 6k to have that short block put in if the warranty had now covered it. It only cost me a 100$ deductibile.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't see it like you do. How are domestics screwing anyone by offering 0% and 100,000 mile warranties??? Seems like Toyota is the one screwing people with their high rates and sub-par warranty.

RESALE VALUE !!!
Sub par? They don't need to throw out the warranty b-s scheem. You should know that it's very easy to get out of a warranty claim.

Also, you can't base the value of a vehicle off of what a dealer offers on trade. You could take the same truck to 5 different dealerships and get 5 different trade in values. (BTW- Based on what you told us, the NADA trade in on a 03 Tahoe Ls (not loaded) 4x4 w/ 37 k is $19,775. The NADA on an 02 Seqouia LTD 4x4 with 87k is $17,450, probably less with the damage you described)....

You maybe right, but this tahoe was taken to 3-4 dealerships & they were all pretty close. Oh, of course the GM dealer would have given more.

Two years ago I would have been right there with you on your crusade to claim that Toyota's are trouble free and better than every other car on the planet in every aspect. However, that was before I bought my 2004 POS 4runner and my 2005 rattle box Scion TC. I still think they make great cars and trucks BUT there's no guarantee that you will get a trouble free car just because it has a Toyota badge anymore. My 98 Tacoma was the last great Toyota I owned, the newer ones have not been so great.
Toyota's aren't perfect by any means. I've never made that claim.
However, my experience with the 13 toyota vehicles my wife & i have had since 1988 have been great.
So, unfortunately you got the slim small percentage of bad toyota's. Sorry.
I base my decisions off of percentages & resale value.

The newer ones percentages of repairs have gone up due to the fact they must try to compete with the cheap 3.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I drive an 03 dodge 4x4 4.7 some at work. I don't know about the work they done on it, but I find it extremely noisy on the highway compared to my Tacoma. As I get older I find that I like a quiet vehicle as compared to when i was younger and didn't think about it. Just based on this factor I wouldn't but one. Maybe the upgraded model is more quiet I don't know.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Toyota's aren't perfect by any means. I've never made that claim.
However, my experience with the 13 toyota vehicles my wife & i have had since 1988 have been great.
So, unfortunately you got the slim small percentage of bad toyota's. Sorry.
I base my decisions off of percentages & resale value.

The newer ones percentages of repairs have gone up due to the fact they must try to compete with the cheap 3.
Why do you buy cars that you believe to be trouble free and long lasting and then care so much about the resale value? Seems like the resale value should only really be a big factor if you are going to get a new car every 2 or 3 years. If that's the case then reliability wouldn't be all that important because any car will make it 2 or 3 years without any major trouble 99% of the time.

If you plan on keeping the car for 8 to 10 years and driving the wheels off and taking advantage of that "reliability" then who cares what the resale is? Cars are not an investment no matter what, unless you buy a vintage Ferrari or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I didn't really notice the Tundra being any quieter than my Dodge. And that is an important factor to me. The Dodges are really quiet also plus mine has a Chrome Tip Exhaust and that extends the pipe out even further from the cab and makes the exhaust note quieter and not as noticeable also. I like the low pitch rumble the Hemi has but mine has a slight wind noise due to the fact I installed Mopar vent visors and wouldn't do that again. Everyone I talk to say the new Fords have the quietest interiors and use the quiet steel and all this insulation and crap. I don''t know I have never riddent in one of the new F150s. Ralph Jeels I think is his name the same guy that did the Chrysler 300 is supposed to be designing the new 09 Ram now. They say it will be different and not a big rig looking as the 3rd gen of Rams have been. I hope and also read he is giving the interior an over haul also and it will be more car like. Out of the ones I have drove the Dodge has the best ride IMO but I haven't driven the Chevys or GMs and they are noted for ride quality. The Front Independent Suspension on the Dodge does the best with bumps and ruffer roads from my experience.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.