Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two different steel wheels on my 06 Tacoma. The spare is a plane steel and the other 4 a styled steel. The spare has 20 deg and the other 4 have 40 deg. Sensor. I had a problem with one of my sensors. It reads 14 lb when the tire has 35 lb in it. I took it to Smithtown Toyota on long island NY. First they told me I only had 14 lbs of air in the tire. I checked it before it went in and it had 35lbs. then they told me someone changed the tires because Toyotas don’t come with firestone tires. The date code on the tire is Oct 05 and the truck was built Nov 05. When they checked the sensor they said it wasn’t covered by the warranty. They said that the sensor was damaged. It would cost $396 to change it. Then they said the good news is that there is a service bulletin on my tires and I would get new tires. I told them that I didn’t want to fix the sensor. So now they don’t want to do the tires. I asked why the sensor is so much when it retails for $112 and takes ½ hr to install and program. They told me it takes 3 hrs. They charged me $102 for a diagnostic charge on my in warranty truck. They said the tire was losing air. Said I must have picked up a nail. They replaced the one tire with the bad sensor. When I went behind the shop to get my truck I saw my old tire sitting there. They ripped the bead on the tire taking it off the rim to check the sensor. There was no nail in it. I think there should be a class action suit on these sensors. Only Toyota dealers can service your wheels and program these sensors. Other car companies have sensors that any auto shop can service. I still have the flashing light on my dash.
:mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd have gone ballistic and been taken out in cuffs. That's complete BS. I'd call Toyota and file a complaint with Customer Relations. It works, I know first hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ps: i'm a ny state court officer so i have to be carefull how do thing. but i know i can find a good lawyer if needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding...you checked your tire pressures before you went in to the dealership...and when you where there, the service guys told you the tpms was giving a pressure read-out on one of your tires, at 14 pounds? :confused:

The tire was manufactured a month before your truck...ok. What does that signify?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have two different steel wheels on my 06 Tacoma. The spare is a plane steel and the other 4 a styled steel. The spare has 20 deg and the other 4 have 40 deg. Sensor. I had a problem with one of my sensors. It reads 14 lb when the tire has 35 lb in it. I took it to Smithtown Toyota on long island NY. First they told me I only had 14 lbs of air in the tire. I checked it before it went in and it had 35lbs. then they told me someone changed the tires because Toyotas don’t come with firestone tires. The date code on the tire is Oct 05 and the truck was built Nov 05. When they checked the sensor they said it wasn’t covered by the warranty. They said that the sensor was damaged. It would cost $396 to change it. Then they said the good news is that there is a service bulletin on my tires and I would get new tires. I told them that I didn’t want to fix the sensor. So now they don’t want to do the tires. I asked why the sensor is so much when it retails for $112 and takes ½ hr to install and program. They told me it takes 3 hrs. They charged me $102 for a diagnostic charge on my in warranty truck. They said the tire was losing air. Said I must have picked up a nail. They replaced the one tire with the bad sensor. When I went behind the shop to get my truck I saw my old tire sitting there. They ripped the bead on the tire taking it off the rim to check the sensor. There was no nail in it. I think there should be a class action suit on these sensors. Only Toyota dealers can service your wheels and program these sensors. Other car companies have sensors that any auto shop can service. I still have the flashing light on my dash.
:mad:
Why are you blaming the sensor??:confused: It's your dealer that you need to file a law suite at!!

Just take the damn things out!! Do the DIY to disable the dash light and be done with it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
first the dealer told me that the tires were changed. they were not. there scan tool said that there was 14 lb in the tire. it had 35 on the gauge. i went to two dealers and both gave me a hard time about fixing this. and i think it is a dealer problem but toyota should have a system like gm. and they shouldn't rip people off to fix it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
first the dealer told me that the tires were changed. they were not. there scan tool said that there was 14 lb in the tire. it had 35 on the gauge. i went to two dealers and both gave me a hard time about fixing this. and i think it is a dealer problem but toyota should have a system like gm. and they shouldn't rip people off to fix it.
Well I think GM should build better quality cars like Toyota? So should we have a class action suit to make every car maker use one type of tire? Or the same A.C. compressors???

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the dealer.

But good grief! Why don't you sue the president because your street light is out.:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've/we've bought from 3 dealerships. Sunrise, Atlantic, and Smithtown. If you have half a brain, you might find yourself frustrated by any of them where service is concerned, for different reasons. Regardless of where I've purchased from, I get service at Atlantic. Only because I figured out which mechanic was talented and thoughtful and stuck with him. Plus, the place is huge. They pack 'em in like sardines at the other two. There's alot more to it. I don't have the energy!

To your point: I think you blew it by not calling the dealer out when you saw the tire. Probably too late now. You can't be afraiid to stand your ground if they screw up, if even if it's not in your nature. I've gotten door dings, oil cap left off, grease on cloth seats, way overtorqued lug nuts, and other such BS. If your firm and angry without being a nut, they all seem to respond positively. Donna is the head of service at Smithtown. She's actually very nice and might look to assist you with this. Give it a shot. You might get somewhere.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First they told me I only had 14 lbs of air in the tire. I checked it before it went in and it had 35lbs. then they told me someone changed the tires because Toyotas don’t come with firestone tires.:mad:
When you buy a new vehicle there is usually a printed warranty from the manufacturer in with the owners manual and other docs. Did yours come with a printed warranty from Firestone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you buy a new vehicle there is usually a printed warranty from the manufacturer in with the owners manual and other docs. Did yours come with a printed warranty from Firestone?
yes it did have the warranty from firestone. one of my biggest gripes about the sensors is that only toyota can service them. you need there scan tool to load the numbers in the ecu. i had to pay $102 to get the keys back. i still have a system out of order.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When you registered on TundraSolutions.com, you agreed to the following:

RULES AND POLICIES

We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the home page. Although the administrators and moderators of Tundra Solutions Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Tundra Solutions Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violate any laws. You will also not begin or participate in any discussions regarding current legal action against any company. The owners of Tundra Solutions Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Thread closed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.