Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 761 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
until I read the manual. SR5 model

This could be a good thread to highlight little things we didn't know our trucks did until we read the manual. I know, so un-manly. :rolleyes:

1. That the head lights (W/O automatic light control system) will turn off automatically if left on. Page 164

2. The The gas pump icon in the fuel guage points to which side the gas cap is on. Page 41

3. Turning the key to start momentarily and releasing it will cause the crank hold function to keep cranking the engine until it starts. You just bump start and release key. Page 462

4. If the engine coolant temp is low or you are in 4L the tranny will not shift into overdrive. Page 217

They're just little things that caught my eye when reading the manual.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The fact that the lid on the center console slides forward is really nice. And thanks to another TS member for pointing this out. I didn't see this in the manual.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The fact that the lid on the center console slides forward is really nice. And thanks to another TS member for pointing this out. I didn't see this in the manual.

I found that last week and for some reason was so excited. I love finding little easter eggs like that.

I also noticed that there is a "recycled" logo on the lower part of the plastic door pieces.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
A standard frame Glock fits nicely in the long cubby between the cup holders and the gear selector. :D

Does anyone know if the JBL Bluetooth Nav system will vary the volume based on speed? I don't own one of these trucks yet but have driven on several times so I have a good idea about most of the features but didn't notice that it did this so I assume it doesn't. Can anyone confirm/deny this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A standard frame Glock fits nicely in the long cubby between the cup holders and the gear selector. :D

Does anyone know if the JBL Bluetooth Nav system will vary the volume based on speed? I don't own one of these trucks yet but have driven on several times so I have a good idea about most of the features but didn't notice that it did this so I assume it doesn't. Can anyone confirm/deny this.
I just found out that the cover for the "Glock compartment" stows on the underside of the center console lid - a pretty neat feature. You can also store tissues, a map, and a pencil on the underside of the lid (although I've yet to find a pen/pencil that fits in the pencil holder...)

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Take a standard size pen and slide it in from the top. They dont fit if you just try and "snap" them into place from the front. I have a regular pen in there and it stays in place great.

·
Registered
21 Posts

My 1911 Colt fits great in the front part of the door compartment. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts

it does vary the volume based upon speed...and it does it so well you dont even notice...the volume just sounds the same all the time.... took me awhile to figure out what that button was on the NAV screen

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
it does vary the volume based upon speed...and it does it so well you dont even notice...the volume just sounds the same all the time.... took me awhile to figure out what that button was on the NAV screen
Which button is it? Is it enabled from the factory?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Which center console do you have that moves? the one that came with the bucket seats or the bench seat ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which center console do you have that moves? the one that came with the bucket seats or the bench seat ?
Buckets seats, The lid release alows the lid to move forward. You have to retrack it to open the lid. I stumbled on that last week.:tu:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found out that the sun visors extend too. You know that annoying couple of inches that is never covered when you have the sun visor rotated around to the side window? Well, these puppies slide on the rod so you can fill that void. SWEET

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone know if the JBL Bluetooth Nav system will vary the volume based on speed? Can anyone confirm/deny this.
I don't have one with the JBL, i have the 6-disc changer version.
I know that the 6-disc changer also has the volume based on speed function.
It's called ASL (i think) on the menu.

I love the auto lights off feature. I leave mine on all the time.
My wife's car has that and mine didn't, till now!
This brings up a question i've been wondering, does any one know how to turn on the fog lights only without needing the low-beam lights?

I haven't read all the manual yet, but one day we're all going to want to know how to reset that pesky tire sensor thing.

Also, does anyone know if we get a light at 5000 miles reminding us to change the oil? We'll want to know how to reset that too!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I haven't taken delivery of my Tundra yet, but on the wife's '06 Camry, you can reset the oil reminder by turning the key to the 'on' position, and holding down the odo. reset for about 3 seconds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Several other features:

1. When you have the AC or heat turned on and you use the recirculation button, it recirculates for a while and then after a few minutes the recirculate turns off automatically and it blows fresh air into the cabin (I used to use the recirculate in my old truck whenever I got behind a smelly old truck or car then I would forget to turn it off)

2. When you close the doors and hit the lock button on the keyfob, it does its beap noise but when one of the doors isn't closed tight it does a different beap to let you know that not all the doors are properly shut.

3. When you unlock the doors with the keyfob but don't open one of the doors right away, the doors will automatically lock again after a while.

·
Registered
110 Posts
its the ASL button on the bottom center of the audio screen....as you pick up speed youll see the small meter increasing

i also like the maintance reminder section in the NAV system where you can set reminders for either mileage or dates for maintanance on all areas of the car. or the calander reminders for those hard to remember dates like the wifes birthday or anniversarys LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another thing I remembered, if you put the A/C knob on Max, it turns on the A/C button and the recirculate button automatically. (This is on the SR5 models).

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I found out on my own, that without the auto headlights (in mine) that if you leave the parking lights on and turn off truck, get out. they shut off.

The headlights don't however. but if you get out and press the lock button on the key fob twice.. it shuts them off :) really nice to get into the house ...

oh yueah i just noticed the other day that there are lights on the door to help you see the grond.. 3800+ miles and I just see em lol

1 - 20 of 761 Posts
About this Discussion
760 Replies
422 Participants
BR07tun
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing