Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i need some feed back on anyone whose ran a chevy. guy at work has an 03' regular cab short bed 4.8 with intake and exhaust. he's been riding me about how even with all my mods he can smoke me. very cocky guy, so i bet him lunch that i could take him. what do u guys think? are they even fast? hows their 4.8's match up to our 4.7's. gonna take it to the track (hopefully not street), but just wanted a heads up.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I mean i've beat the 5.3's before....that was with the 265/70 tires though havent tried with the 265/75s shouldnt be that much of a difference though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 2000 Tundra A/C 4x4 is noticeably faster than my brother's extended cab 2000 Silverado 4x4 with the 4.8L. He's driven my truck and always tells me that it feels more powerful than his. You'll take him!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Without your lift and heavy tires, I would say you'd eat him for lunch. But if he's got stock lift and tires, it'll probably be close.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the other thing i was thinking was that he's lighter being a regular cab, and i have an access cab. plus the weight of my tires.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I have a friend with an access cab 4.8 with a few bolt ons. I can bury him but mine is a regular cab.

·
Registered
379 Posts
you'll beat him.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Was the 5.3 you beat a regular cab short wb as well?
I used to have a 93 swb single cab 2wd with the 5.7 and I raced a 00 4x4 chevy silverado single cab with the 4.8 and he was pulling away from me around 35-50. His truck was a manual though. Its a strong motor and I don't see much of a difference in accelleration between the 4.8 and 5.3. My opinions are based on racing both the 4.8 as described and a 5.3 z71 extended cab. I think that my 00 tundra is about as fast as my old GMC if not faster.
I did take my truck to the track last weekend. 1/8th mile I ran a 10.7, that was my first time so I still have not perfected my reaction time. I beat a 91 240sx and a 79 nova with a 305 with a few engine mods.
Don't screw up and buy a throttle body spacer, my 0-60 time went from 7.395 stock to 8.535 with the throttle body spacer. IMO if I took my throttle body spacer off I would take that bet.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think he'll probably take you. He's got a 500# advantage and significantly more HP. You'll probably get the jump off the line cause the 4.8L doesn't do much at first, but once the revs build, it will take off. That's all just assuming stock stuff, so your tires aren't going to help but might be offset by some of the mods.

I've had several Chevy trucks and the 4.8L doesn't have the low-end grunt of the 5.3L, but it'll go if you put your foot into it. It's actually the faster motor if you add a supercharger. If this was a lifted Chevy ext. cab 4x4 vs your rig, then I'd say you could take him.

Of course if he can't launch properly, you might get the jump. I don't think it'll go either way enough to really chest thump though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My buddy has a single cab Z71 with the 4.8 in it and I don't know if I could beat him we've never formaly raced on the road but I've been behind him on a stop light and he seems to jump off the line faster then me. We did race in deep sand once and I ran away from him pretty bad. BTW I had my stock Bridgestones on at the time and he has goodyear wild countrys.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i checked edmunds '04 full size comaprison test that compared the 5.4 ford, 5.7 dodge, 5.6 nissan, 5.3 chevy and our (pre VVTi) 4.7 and the tundra came out faster both 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the chevy. of course it also said we were slower than the f150 wich i think is total bs since ive taken down like 2 no prob. so i figure regardless of cab config. i should walk away from the 4.8. oh he also has a tuner besides the intake and exhaust. he has more HP but i have more TQ.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I used to have a 93 swb single cab 2wd with the 5.7
Those old TBI chevs were one of the easiest motors to modify and delivered huge gains with just bolt ons. I had a 4x4 and got two seconds off the quarter mile time with just bolt ons, all on the stock long block. :D

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Racing for lunch is just wrong.

Consider the dangers to society

Consider the pollution you are causing

Consider the fuel you are burning

Consider betting him at least $100 bucks or go home with your tail between you legs like a little crying girl.

Kick his @$$ and never ever let him live it down.

Oh ya, racing is bad.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
man this guy is nothing but talk, everytime i wanna go, he's got an excuse. he doesnt want to goto a track because its out of the way, and after almost getting busted by the Police racing a 95' mustang GT last year (yes, yes, stupid i know), i told him i would not race on the street. so basically at work, its just became a trash talking contest more than a race. but then again its only been a week. ill hit him up next weekend and maybe goto pomona or irwindale.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
you wheel set up is gonna kill you if he is stock... i drove my buddies 4.8 single cab and it was pretty damn impressive... he'll take you also bc your eahaust set up is loosing power too.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
you wheel set up is gonna kill you if he is stock... i drove my buddies 4.8 single cab and it was pretty damn impressive... he'll take you also bc your eahaust set up is loosing power too.
If i can beat the 5.3 chevys then theres no way he will lose to the 4.8....and his exhaust might be losing his low end tq, but our tundras dont race in the low end rpm's they like the top end power and thats actually where that exhaust is helping

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
So what kind of work do you do. If in a cube just put a sign up saying "Bob is scared to to go to the track. Even he knows his Dodge will lose." Or just ignore his trash talk and then when people are around say "So when you going to man up and come to the track?". Once he is called out in front of others he will probably go. Most do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts