Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about selling the wife's 4Runner and getting a Carolla to save a bunch of money on gas. What do you think? Any pros and cons from you guys who actually already own Carollas?

I hesitate to get into a smaller vehicle because of the safety of the larger 4Runner but $3+ per gallon gas is killing me. What do you think?

Regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just traded my 2005 Tacoma Prerunner Access Cab V-6 AUTO trans in on a 2007 Corolla to save money and gasoline. I am not disappointed, although I miss the power and "get the hell out of my way" ability to get through traffic in the truck.

Although I consistently achieved 19.7 mpg, I was burning premium to do it. I live in metro Phoenix AZ so I drive a lot and I had over 48k miles in 2 years. I figure that I have saved at least $125.00/month on gasoline alone, let alone the savings in car payment, tires when I need them and some of the preventative maintenance visits. By the way, I am getting 35mpg in my commuting miles and on one long trip, I got 40mpg. And I don't drive slow if you know what I mean. Here in the valley if you're not going close to 80mph on the freeways - except at rush hour - you're going to get ran off the road.

I purchased the CE with manual transmission. I recommend the manual because it is fun to drive and by "rowing your own" you can make up for some of the power shortcomings in going from the power of an SUV to a small car. If you or the wife insist on an auto, I would not worry. I have driven my friend's 2005 LE automatic and it is quite peppy also.

I don't think you can go wrong in getting a Corolla - used or new. I already have nearly 5,000 miles on it and have driven it quite hard, no problems yet. My friend has over 40k on hers, all trouble free.

Dan
2007 COROLLA CE
2005 TACOMA PRERUNNER
1993 DX PICKUP
1993 STANDARD PICKUP
1984 2WD SR5 PICKUP

·
Registered
7 Posts
This was my first Toyota product bought. I purchased it as the second owner with 22k on it in 99. Now it has 130k and runs strong. (as strong as a 1.8 can) I have had NO major repairs with the car. We've done just the normal maintenance. Tires, breaks, water pump, timing belt and such. I just had the struts replaced all the way around and of course a 4 wheel alignment and the car handles and rides like new. I do a lot of city driving and the MPG averages between 25 & 27. On the highway I have gotten as much as 35 out of her.:tu: Well I hope this helps with your decision making process. Lets us know how you make out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an '07 LE and I think it has plenty of power. It really surprised me in that aspect. I just came back from a 700 mile round trip. It drives and handles good most of the time, but when I get in the wind behind a big truck, it starts wobbling and feels like it's trying to go all over the place.

The steering wheel being too far away really is tiring on long drives. It's just as wide and roomy inside as the Prerunner. You just sit lower. It has a big trunk too.

I have almost 10,000 miles on mine and am happy with it.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I think you are making the right decision , I just completed a ROI study on the Corolla,Prius,Camry Hybrid and Camry 4Cyl.
And the Corolla came out way ahead ,I did this to justify buying a Camry Hybrid but it came in Last:mad: due to the high initial cost .
My daily driver (72 Chevy BB) only get 10mpg so my return would be a lot quicker than yours at 19mpg .

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife has an '06 Corolla CE and she loves it. Plenty of power for her and enough pep for me on the rare occasion I drive it.

She drives about 90 miles a day round trip for work(highway) and averages 39mpg. It does "wobble" some behind big trucks, but not enough to be concerned with.

Another thing to mention...I'm a big guy and I have plenty of room to sit comfortably in the front and back seat of the car.

Overall, it was a good buy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 280 lbs. When we took a test drive. I tried out the back seat. I couldn't believe I was even able to get back there, but there was enough room for me to sit comfortably.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 07 S Corolla with abs and side air bags, it's ok nothing special, the factory Bridgestone Insignia SE 200 are junk, right after I got it there was rain and the thing hydroplained all over (tires have narrow grooves, also tread width is 5.7" most other tires the same size are 6.9"). Good interior room, nice trunk. Gets wild in the wind (pushes around) desent gas mileage with auto 35 mpg hwy and light city. Not a very good paint job. Has enough zip for the average person. I was a little disappointed when I bought it, I thought it would be a little more advanced in technology, in some regards my 1987 Honda Prelude SI is still superior in some ways. Cost me $20,000 out the door Tax and license with 6 year warranty. Matrix was about $1,000 more, cause in California you could only buy the fancier package, unless you bought the plain wrap one. Car looks good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about selling the wife's 4Runner and getting a Carolla to save a bunch of money on gas. What do you think? Any pros and cons from you guys who actually already own Carollas?

I hesitate to get into a smaller vehicle because of the safety of the larger 4Runner but $3+ per gallon gas is killing me. What do you think?

Regards,
We just traded the wifes Trailblazer for an 07 Carolla S for the same reason your talking about.
Pros:
saving about $40 per week in gas
payment went down about $15 per month
fun little car to drive (manual trans):tu:
Cons:
not overburdonned with power
gets alittle noisey on the interstate @ about 75 - 80 MPH:td:
I do have safety concerns (don't have the side air bags)

We were also looking at the Jetta, although the Jetta had better safety features, when push came to shove, we decided on the Carolla because of it's reliability.

100% Toyota in my garage.:tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently bought a 42" mower deck for a garden tractor and went to pick it up in my Corolla. The guys were just standing there shaking their heads until I opened the trunk and they saw how big it was. I couldn't close the lid all the way with it in there, but it almost went completely in the trunk. Only a couple of inches too long to close the lid.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
agree with the above: seating position is a bit awkward. this car could really benefit from a telescoping steering wheel. as far as wobbling, i found that a good alignment and decent tires helped a great deal. the stock goodyear integrity's suck big time. a good set of kumho's from tirerack have done us well at a good price and feel much safer than the goodyears. we, too, get in the mid 30's around town and even better on long trips. also, beware that abs is optional so if you are in to that, don't overlook this fact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
one of the best investments you will ever make. These things are known to go thousands and thousands of miles without issues. I own a 99 and ive only had to put it into the shop for diagnostics readings that came out saying i needed a new charcoal canister. Its actually the major repair Carfax notes corollas for. Other than that, it has been nearly perfect! Go for it man, you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:) I have 2007 Toyota Corolla LE, and I love it. However, you might want to wait 5-6 months and check the new 2008 Toyota Corolla. I am showing you pictures of the new Corolla from Europe. It looks very nice (body is not changed a lot).
If you decide to buy 2007 Corolla, you will not make a mistake, as well.
Make sure you have ABS brakes, side airbags, and VSC (if you can find a car with it).
Good Luck!!:tu:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I went and test drove an 07 Corolla S the other day, and it did seem like a good value considering the bulletproof reliability record theses cars have.

The only thing still hanging us up is our hesitation to downsize to the small compact car is the reduced mass around the passenger compartment. We want to make sure that the switch isn't compromising our family's safety.

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I think the Side air bag option would help would help .
I also think the S is a great looking little car .
Keep in mind the 2008 are supposed to be out this month ,so the 2007 deals should get better.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I went and test drove an 07 Corolla S the other day, and it did seem like a good value considering the bulletproof reliability record theses cars have.

The only thing still hanging us up is our hesitation to downsize to the small compact car is the reduced mass around the passenger compartment. We want to make sure that the switch isn't compromising our family's safety.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fun to drive! Didn't have problems...I've put 80,000 miles in 3+ years and it's great! I take my 2004 Corolla to the dealer for the 5K service and it drives like brand new. I'm surprised by the horsepower and the gas mileage! We've gone to Phoenix on one tank of gas!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dad bought the Toyota Corolla DX in 1997 he drove it then I drove it for the longest time and we still have it. It’s a great car with great gas mileage. In the time we’ve had it we’ve never had to have any work done to it except the occasional brake change, oil change, and air and oil filter changes, and sparkplug change. As long as you keep up on you’re cars maintenance the car will probably run forever. We have 230, 000 miles on it and its still running strong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts