Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am thinking about buying a used Tundra within the next 6 months. I'm looking at 07's and 08's. I currently have a 97 tacoma that has 232,000 miles on it and runs like new. I want to trade in the tacoma and get a bigger truck. The Tundra is just sexy, and the newer Tacoma's are nice too. My question is, how reliable are the new Tundra's? I've done a lot of searching on forums, looked at owner reviews on Edmunds and MSN. I see a lot of transmission failures on the 6-speed automatics which scares me. Thin paint that flakes off, rattles, complaints about cheap interiors, stereos crapping out (I prefer aftermarket anyways), and the infamous AIP pumps and valves going out. That last one really scares me. I was thinking that maybe cleaning out the AIP pumps periodically and putting a drain hole in each would help with long term reliability, but I'm not sure. I supposed that ultimately I would get a 4.7 double cab since that drivetrain is proven and I didn't really see any reliability complaints on the numerous sites I looked at. I know someone might suggest that I look at the other 4 full size trucks available from other brands, but here is my take on those since I drive trucks from the big three at work, and I also did my research.

F-150: Fuel injector problems, failures with 4-speed automatics, anemic V8's

Dodge: Electrical problems, transmission failures, and from my own personal experience I know they have very cheap playskool like interiors that do not hold up to everyday use.

Chevroet: Also read about mulitple transmission failures, cheap build quality, bad diffs, the list goes on.

Titan: Cheap interiors, electronics going out, bad diffs, bad axle seals, CV axles popping out on 4wd models. However, the engine and trans seem reliable from what I've read but they get horrible gas mileage. Also, the plant that builds the titan/armada has a very very bad quality rating.

So what should I do? Is the Tundra really any better? It seems no one builds a reliable full size truck. They all seem to have mulitiple problems that are very expensive to fix. Shouldn't these things be more tough than a passenger car? These things are designed to haul and tow weight and they break from everyday street driving. Its scary to read all the reviews. Should I look at Tacoma's? I did research on those and they don't really seem to have any problems, they also don't have AIP pump problems. They do however have the flimsy tailgate problem, but thats all I could find. So now I'm torn, I'm here to get advice straight from you guys, the owners. Any advice or personal experiences would be very helpful. I'm very picky about the vehicles I own and I always do my reasearch. I like my vehicles to go 200,000 to 300,000 miles, which why I stick with Toyota and Honda. I want to make sure the Tundra is reliable enough that it won't break my wallet in repairs.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
The only problem I have had in 48.5k miles is the radio head which was replaced under warranty. The AIP issue is certainly a concern over 60k miles, but it only seems to be a few that have that problem.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
there are no perfect trucks. just buy what you like and hope for the best. so far my truck has been good to me. i still have to take it to the dealer for the recall, but my pedal dont get stuck so im not too worry about it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Based on what's been gathered here and at TT, the AIP's (this year) have been redesigned. It's too early to tell how they'll perform over the long haul though. I believe the redesign or factory modification occurred some time in the last several weeks. Nonetheless, I still think the Tundra has fewer issues than some of the other makes. Good luck.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Got to say I've never heard about transmission failures, but then I haven't looked. Have the 4.7 with e 5 speed. Yes, its proven, thats why I got it. But, you 'talk about Ford V*'s being anemic, so if power is an issue for you, you may not ultimately be happy with the 4.7. Plenty enough power for me, but it sounds like you might want more. Then, who wouldnt like more, right?

AIP is blown out of proportion. Furthermore, its not the multi thousand fix as originally thought. Many posts on here where people have fixed it either themselves or for way less than a thousand. It's an easy enough part to get to. Also, if you can go to 2009, I really haven't seen anything like the frequency of the issue being reported on that year.

My feeling is that properly maintained, with vehicles nowadays, unless you do stupid miles, its not the mechanicals, but the electronics that will spell serious repairs and potential end of life for a vehicle. wires become brittle, a soldered component gets loose. some chip gets fried and you have to replace an ECU at some ridiculous costs. It sure would be interesting to see how many current vehicles are around in 20 years.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Based on what's been gathered here and at TT, the AIP's (this year) have been redesigned. It's too early to tell how they'll perform over the long haul though. I believe the redesign or factory modification occurred some time in the last several weeks. Nonetheless, I still think the Tundra has fewer issues than some of the other makes. Good luck.
Did they do another design change? I remember something about clips being put on a year or so ago. Wondered if there would be another change after that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did they do another design change? I remember something about clips being put on a year or so ago. Wondered if there would be another change after that.

What I read some weeks back was the redesign of the actual pump and a factory cut-in. In fact, this was also confirmed to me by one of the Service Advisors locally. I'm not aware of the specifics such as the clips. Sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But, you 'talk about Ford V*'s being anemic, so if power is an issue for you, you may not ultimately be happy with the 4.7. Plenty enough power for me, but it sounds like you might want more.

The 4.7 will be more than enough for me. The 5.4 is just a iron lump and an old design. An engine of that size should have more power, plus I drive them at work and they don't feel anywhere near 300 horsepower. The 4.7 being the size it is, I find the power level acceptable because it is a smaller V8. Now, if I have to do preventative maintenance on the AIP's, I suppose that is somewhat acceptable. I would rather not have to do it, but if I do it maybe every 10,000 miles, that wouldn't be too horrible. It's still a scary thought on how long they will last though.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Desert rat, I have owned all but the GM and have not had any of the issues you bought up.

My Tundra has 13,700 on it with no issues. I know for a fact that all manufactures have issues and Toyota is included in that mix. As for the issues you have listed, I have yet to see anyone in our areaq with these problems. Are we the lucky ones that have no issues? I doubt it. We are the ones that have just not had them (or had them yet).

Always remember Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Just about all trucks now are created the same...IMO.

I'd say the Toyota might be a bit better to buy used. However, you won't get the quality and reliability you're used to with the Tacoma IMO. They (Toyota in particular) don't build them like they used to.

I have 50333 miles on mine as of today and it runs pretty good. It certainly doesn't feel like a new truck, and I bet by 100K or 120K it's done and I'm in the market for a new one. Honestly, our '03 4runner with 100K miles on it feels just as solid as mine does. If mine stays the exact same for another 50K miles, I'll be happy... but I don't know if that'll be the case.

-rockstate

·
Registered
859 Posts
But, you 'talk about Ford V*'s being anemic, so if power is an issue for you, you may not ultimately be happy with the 4.7. Plenty enough power for me, but it sounds like you might want more.

The 4.7 will be more than enough for me. The 5.4 is just a iron lump and an old design. An engine of that size should have more power, plus I drive them at work and they don't feel anywhere near 300 horsepower. The 4.7 being the size it is, I find the power level acceptable because it is a smaller V8. Now, if I have to do preventative maintenance on the AIP's, I suppose that is somewhat acceptable. I would rather not have to do it, but if I do it maybe every 10,000 miles, that wouldn't be too horrible. It's still a scary thought on how long they will last though.
The chances of the AIP issue occurring are low. I imagine by messing with them in order to do preventative maintenance, you're more likely to giver them cause to invalidate the warranty in the event something DOES happen. Got to say the AIP is not something I am remotely concerend about. Maybe after the warranty period is up, for your own peice of mind, go ahead.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you get a tundra under its 3yr/36k miles period you can get the extended warranty thru toyota from a few preferred dealers mentioned on this site (see extended warranty threads) that sell them cheap. Piece of mind & most things covered. I always make this my priority when buying used toyota's. Something to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would really rather not have to buy an extended warranty. It's a Toyota, not a Kia lol. I guess it is hard to tell what the long term reliability of these trucks is like, since I'm looking for something that will go at least 200,000 miles without major issues. These trucks are too new and it appears that hardly anyone has even hit the 100,000 mark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my Tundra after test driving every make and doing exhaustive research. Including talking to guys running the local 4X4 stores. Time and again, I was told the Tundra is the best truck on the road today (I was really leaning towards the Ford F-150 as I like the new body style and wanted to support Ford but anyway...). What really sold me on the Tundra is a guy at work. He has a 2007 5.7L 4x2. 75k miles. Tows a boat all summer long and a trailer in the winter. No issues and he absolutely loves his truck.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
AIP is blown out of proportion. Furthermore, its not the multi thousand fix as originally thought. Many posts on here where people have fixed it either themselves or for way less than a thousand. It's an easy enough part to get to. Also, if you can go to 2009, I really haven't seen anything like the frequency of the issue being reported on that year.
i hope your right about the 2009 model becuase thats the year i got.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i hope your right about the 2009 model becuase thats the year i got.
All the really cool people have 2009's. We're generally all round better looking too. :)

Yup, I hope I am right too about the AIP. But the stats (on here at least) seemed to support it. But we have to remember that 2009 is a low volume year. And of course on average they dont have the mileage yet.

Another thing in our favor (Htown peeps, not 2009 owners) is that if some water DID get in to the AIP, good luck in it remaining in there when its 100 plus degrees outside. I would imagine given the relentless heat, it could dry out through evap. But thats purely hypothetical.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
They have not redesigned the pumps. Some dealers are saying that but they are the same parts. There is a way around that though so its not a big deal anymore. The only other thing I would check for is bed bounce. Some of these trucks have it some don't from what I understand. If the back end feels like a tuning fork then its got it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They have not redesigned the pumps. Some dealers are saying that but they are the same parts. There is a way around that though so its not a big deal anymore. The only other thing I would check for is bed bounce. Some of these trucks have it some don't from what I understand. If the back end feels like a tuning fork then its got it.

I will search for the specific thread. I also read that the placement had changed, however not in any major way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"They have not redesigned the pumps. Some dealers are saying that but they are the same parts. There is a way around that though so its not a big deal anymore."

There is a way around it? What would that be? After researching Tacoma's some more, it appears that 05-06 are known for failing motor mounts. Well, not the motor mount, but the frame mount. The frame collapses and the mount falls in. So now I'm leaning towards the Tundra or maybe a 07 and up tacoma. I would love to hear the way around the AIP's though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
50,000+ miles on my 08 with 5.7 and tow package. Approximately 12,000 of them towing 8,000 lb trailer. No warranty issues, no complaints. Love this truck!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts