Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of towing doing the spring/summer with my boat and I would like a little extra power. Can a stock 4.7L hold any kind of boost? I'm thinking about maybe running a 5psi Turbo but want to make sure the motor can handle it. What else what I have to do into getting to make the turbo work?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm seeing large numbers in your future. Mainly in the form of dead presidents. Any turbo setup you go with, expect at least 2g's, and that's if you do it on your own. I hate to say this name, but checkout STS and their rear mount turbo setup. It is completely rediculous how they have it setup, but it does work.

Personally, I would find someone that makes headers, and have them fab up a passenger side of headers with the flange for a turbo on it. That's the only real custom piece you need to get. The electronics you can get from - Underdog Racing Development

Your truck will handle 5psi no problem.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a friend who could FAB me up a custom header, not sure how much he would change me because he absolutely hates doing it but they always come out great. I was looking at the STSturbo.com and saw their univeral 5psi kit that I could run and get some extra power for towing and just cruising maybe even scare of a civic here and there. I'm going to do my HW before I start ordering just wanted to make the block/internals would hold up! I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
If you can make the custom manifold, you're good to go.

Check this out so you know what a 1 side manifold looks like. It's a good read for a Toyota truck too!

index.html

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the max boost you would run on a 'stock' tundra? Remember that I also tow a lot during the spring/summer (3700lbs boat).

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
What is the max boost you would run on a 'stock' tundra? Remember that I also tow a lot during the spring/summer (3700lbs boat).
That will depend on the turbo. On a decent size turbo, I wouldn't go over 9-10lbs on a completely stock engine. It would be essential to have your truck properly tuned. Hauling the weight wouldn't really be the problem, but just making sure your AFR is always a little rich when running the throttle high. More fuel is better than less, especially with forced induction!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would think a supercharger would be better for towing since the boost comes in earlier.

Also, would the chassis handle much more towing capacity?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Check out the "lextreme" forums and their wealth of technical information regarding boosting a 2UZFE.

Also bear in mind the 2UZFE s/c was pulled from the market...talk to the lextreme guys. There are a couple on the board here...search in the engine and drivetrain forum.

-Sean

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also bear in mind the 2UZFE s/c was pulled from the market...
-Sean

That's because some 2UZs were blowing up.
The bottom end on a 2UZ will scatter with high boost/high RPM. Weak powder forged rods. Cast Hypereutectic pistons. This is a truck engine. It's cam profile is for low rpm torque, not high boost RPM's.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Check the Banks website.

The make turbos for diesel engines, they have an article on the site which tells you why you SHOULD NOT put a turbo on a vehicle which is going to tow.

If I remember correctly they say that a diesel runs at lower rpms so the turbo doesn't overheat.

If you are drag racing with a turbo on a gas powered car its no problem because its over in 15 seconds or so.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I found the article

Banks Power – In Print: Trailer Boats magazine compares a stock F-350 Diesel to the turbo-diesel combination in their “Tow Test”.

Here's the important bit

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]If you've ever wondered why gasoline-powered engines with turbochargers don't have tow ratings and why turbodiesels do, the answer is simple—gasoline-powered engines produce much more heat. In a gasoline engine, exhaust gas temperatures can be four to five times greater under light loads and twice as great under heavy loads than in a diesel. Too much heat can seriously damage many parts of an engine. [/SIZE][/FONT]

In regard to towing with a diesel, also at the banks website, they suggested towing in overdrive because you want to keep engine rpms down.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know all about turbo-diesels because I traded my Powerstroke for my Tundra. I didn't need a 3/4 ton truck any more. The Tundra doesn't have a problem doing the towing but it is always nice to have the extra power. The cost of the turbo kit is about $1000 less then the S/C kit from boostedtundras.com.

I'm going to keep doing my research and see which way would be my better route.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
374 Posts
$4000 +
good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good.........especially when dealing with your truck.

4 hour install
get some headers and A/F manage kit and you are on your way.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I talked with STStubro.com and they sounds very professional. They have a kit specifically made for someone wanting for turbo power that they installed on a Silverado. The boost wouldn't come in until 3k rpm so during regular driving I wouldn't ever see boost unless I gun it. While towing and the transmission downshift for an up hill battle the turbo would be there for the extra power.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I talked with STStubro.com and they sounds very professional. They have a kit specifically made for someone wanting for turbo power that they installed on a Silverado. The boost wouldn't come in until 3k rpm so during regular driving I wouldn't ever see boost unless I gun it. While towing and the transmission downshift for an up hill battle the turbo would be there for the extra power.
It kinda depends, but turbo's dont have on/off switches. At 3K usually the turbo is already spooling. Your throttle body will play a role in the boost from the vacuum it creates. Light foot (butterfly mostly closed) and the boost stays calm, but heavy foot (butterly open) and you're gone. The funny thing you'll discover is that the turbo will want to fully spool and boost by itself with just normal driving. You also have to be very careful in that time because you have partial throttle, but usually boost is present, and your truck is not adding any extra fuel into the mixture. I used to have a WRX and I was always weary about putting a Manual Boost Controller on it for this very reason. Alot of people damaged engines like that.

·
Registered
374 Posts
very well put
turbos are always spooling......just at different rates.
the big negative to putting a turbo on our trucks is the heat that they produce. you are going to have to do some serious fab work to heat shield your engine compartment or you can expect issues.
internals should be changed out as well. the compression on the 4.7 is too high for measurable boost.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i remember a couple threads a while back about some guys that turbo'd their trucks and got some good power. i'm still searching for those threads though lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts