Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of someone who wants to sell their 2000 Tundra for a pretty reasonable price (e.g., within my budget!), but the catch is that it has 250,000 miles on it. :eek: It's a v8 4wd limited extended cab, and was owned by a mechanic so it's been very well taken care of, used synthetic oil every 3k, never been off-road, etc. etc.

I know the Tundra is a fantastic truck and have always been a big Toyota fan... my first car, an '85 Tercel, required practically no maintenance other than oil changes and a few mufflers. :p It's still alive today, probably has close to 200k on it. The body will give out long before the engine does. :cry:

If I bought this truck, it would only be used to tow a 2500 lb horse trailer (with a 1000 lb horse) every two weeks or so... honestly, less than 2000 miles a year as most events I go to are within 50 miles.

Anyway, am I crazy to even be considering this? My heart realllly wants a Tundra, but this is the only one I can afford right now. The '07 is about 4 times outside my budgeted price range. ;)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
You can still find 06's cheap on the lot if you wanted new, but as far as 250K, as long as it was mostly highway (which seems that's about the only way you're going to get that many miles in 7 years) you should be fine.

Key things to ask/check for. When was the last time the timing belt was changed, and how many times was the transmission serviced.

The timing belt is a must change every 100K.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had 4 Previa's 3 of which easily have gone 350,000 miles with only normal wear.
I bought a 91 Pick-up with 250,000 that was great until I sold it.
I have another Previa now with only 170,000 and a Land Cruiser with about 140,000.

I just found an 01 Tundra with 10,000 miles and honestly they all drive and run great.

Are you crazy? You ask as though it is a bad thing!:D

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I know of someone who wants to sell their 2000 Tundra for a pretty reasonable price (e.g., within my budget!), but the catch is that it has 250,000 miles on it. :eek: It's a v8 4wd limited extended cab, and was owned by a mechanic so it's been very well taken care of, used synthetic oil every 3k, never been off-road, etc. etc.

I know the Tundra is a fantastic truck and have always been a big Toyota fan... my first car, an '85 Tercel, required practically no maintenance other than oil changes and a few mufflers. :p It's still alive today, probably has close to 200k on it. The body will give out long before the engine does. :cry:

If I bought this truck, it would only be used to tow a 2500 lb horse trailer (with a 1000 lb horse) every two weeks or so... honestly, less than 2000 miles a year as most events I go to are within 50 miles.

Anyway, am I crazy to even be considering this? My heart realllly wants a Tundra, but this is the only one I can afford right now. The '07 is about 4 times outside my budgeted price range. ;)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
It depends on the price. And as the price goes up, so does your nuttiness. :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey, by 250k, it probably has most of the bugs worked out, right?? :)

If it's a reasonable price, I'd go for it.

Ben

·
Registered
910 Posts
Loaded up with options and in "average" condition, Edmunds puts the value at $7,800. Seems like a lot of money for a truck with that many miles. It's not the engine I'd be worried about...it's the trans and suspension. A rebuilt trans will put you back at least $2,500.

I would personally look for a 2wd SR5 and spend just a little more to get a newer model with less mileage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Some vehicles with 250,000 are in better mechanical shape than those with 100,000 depending upon how well it was taken care of (oil and filter changes etc.) I would say go for it, sounds like since he was a mechanic he probably took real good care of it

Ryan

·
Registered
419 Posts
On an early Tundra, the transmission (OD Planetary gears) can explode at 30k, 100k, or 250k. It's a complete crap-shoot, either way.

I'd say if he made it to 250k, it's probably not affected by the OD planetary gear issue, and if the PO changed the fluid regularly (as he did with the oil), then he might not have any probs with the transmission.

:)

Ben

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dude, your totally nuckin futs!
Seriously though, as long as the price is right, and you have some cash left over up for any future mechanical issues, do it.
Ask the mechanic if he'll do any future work at a fair price.
I have a neighbor down the street who works at my dealership, and I pay him about 1/3 dealer price.
I get the parts at his cost too.;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had 4 Previa's 3 of which easily have gone 350,000 miles with only normal wear.
I bought a 91 Pick-up with 250,000 that was great until I sold it.
I have another Previa now with only 170,000 and a Land Cruiser with about 140,000.

I just found an 01 Tundra with 10,000 miles and honestly they all drive and run great.

Are you crazy? You ask as though it is a bad thing!:D
Good Lawd! When are you home? When do you sleep?:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've driven several vehicles to 150K-240K, some bought new, others bought well-used. Based on personal experience, and assuming that it can be bought for a reasonable price, I would be certain that the regular maintenance has included replacing all the fluids (brake, psteering, coolant, tranny, etc.) If neglected over time, the result can be some very expensive repairs. I would not be afraid of the mileage if this all checks out. If you are still unsure, run a compression test and an oil pressure test. If that doesn't ease your mind, find another truck. :)

I'd also run a Carfax check to see the history. I've uncovered some really interesting (scary) details about vehicles I've considered buying in the past this way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I sold my '95 black T-100 V-6 4x4 with 150K miles on it, to a mechanic who found the front end components worn, so we negotiated about $5800 selling price, a little below blue book back then 6 years ago. It's still being used as a parts truck and in winter they use it to plow snow. 250,000 on a Tundra, not completely worn out yet, just depends how long you intend to keep it running, and how much you are willing to spend cash for repairs to do so, sounds like a decent risk/reward ratio if bought at a decent price. Good luck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just bought a 1999 land cruiser with 192K. No, you're not crazy. As long as it was maintained, it should be fine. Oh, and I have 206K on my FJ60. Not 250K, but it is 20 years old this year.

If Timing Belt was done, oil was changed, etc., you are good to go. Buy it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you buy, post the price you paid.
It could help out other members looking for a similar rig.;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see you are in the North East. Be careful of rust on the frame and brake lines. I almost bought a truck that was an 01 with a lot of miles until I realized how rusty it was. To some extent rust is a function of mileage not just age.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The truck's actually in MD, so I'm not too concerned with rust... although this winter I've noticed the DC area spreads about 3 inches worth of salt for every 1/2 inch of snow. :eek: So the few times we actually get snowfall around here, we rival Boston for the amount of salt spread. :mad:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
The truck's actually in MD, so I'm not too concerned with rust... although this winter I've noticed the DC area spreads about 3 inches worth of salt for every 1/2 inch of snow. :eek: So the few times we actually get snowfall around here, we rival Boston for the amount of salt spread. :mad:
Maryland tends to use more sand than salt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts