Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about purchasing JBA headers for my '02 Tundra. Any thoughts / opinions you might be able to share?

Also, if I install headers will I need to have the engine tuned?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Not absolutely necessary to get a tune after header install, but since these engines run excessively rich at WOT with or without headers, this might be something to have done regardless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Im trying to get an idea of what I might be getting into. I will probably install the headers myself and since I will probably be adding a COI this summer as well I may put that off until then.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Read up on CAI - basically waste of money. Members here have used regular and butt dyno to confirm that aftermarket CAI results in loss TQ and minor HP gains by redline. How many time a year are you by redline in RPM's? + it is confirmed that stock filter filters contaminants from air the best where as K&N for example lets more dirt into the engine. Read topics on oil tests by blackstone labs here on TS (don't have link) but its been confirmed that stock OEM TOYOTA filters are the best (oil and air).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Worth the money and the pain in the a$$ install!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just had some JBAs put on my truck.......it has 130,000 miles on it......Borla duel exaust and a Uni-chip........it ran good.......now after the header install..........WOW.......if you can, look at a stock exaust manifold "off" the truck, and compare it to the JBA.........I was ashamed to show the stock exaust to some of my Ford and Chevy buds.........rinkie dink........it has been 4 thousand approx since install ,,,,,I still am a grinnin old man when I feel the better/different tourq/power curve.......this and a hellwig would be my two 1st changes ............my .02 as always

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks PapaPS! Thats enough convincing for me. Which level of JBA headers did you install? I see they offer 3 different compositions or finishes. I will probably end up purchasing one this week.

Also, how do you like the sound of the borla exhaust? Of friend of mine mentioned that borla sounds different than your magnaflows or flowmasters.

Thanks agian!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I got the titanium ceramic....or something like that ...their "best" one.....I can't remember where I got them, but it was in California.......jausa.com or something like that.
Borla to me.....is a deep richer sound easing around.......and very pleasing to the ear when you WOT it........
As with any cat back system there is some degree of "drone" at certain speeds.......not bad at all though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
AJUSA.com had the best $ I found.........I got their best one for what alot of places wanted for the base ones......

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
AJUSA.com had the best $ I found.........I got their best one for what alot of places wanted for the base ones......
So how is your truck, is it fixed yet?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey PapaPS do you have a video of your Borla and JBA setup so we could maybe hear what it sounds like?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed headers on my last Tundra. Took a total of 10 hours for me and they leaked like crazy. Waste of time and money in my book.

·
Registered
640 Posts
No , Gene , It is not fixed yet...I just got the go ahead from allstate mon........5 days to fix........

I do have a video camera to record it, but I am computer challenged, I will get sound and video this afternoon and see if I can figger out how to do it, if I can't , I will have to e-mail it to some body and have them put it on here.........any offers?

And "if" headers were a waste of time....and leaked that bad.......I'd have to say "it aint the headers, its the installer" I was 40 years old ,or older before I read and "followed" the instuctions to a "T".........as with "most" jobs........if it ain't done right..........you re-do, or complain..............as always my .02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts