Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys.....got a dilemma......

I'm wanting to get some bigger wheels for the Sequoia. I've got a bit of hillbilly in me and I like to see the empty space in the wheel well filled with big ole tires! But I know that'll kill my mpg....besides, I have a Powerstroke 4x4 for that stuff anyway!:D
So....my dilemma is ......what size wheels should i put on the rig? I'm thinking 18" is plenty. But the guy at the wheel place says to go with 20's. He says all the new SUV's and trucks are coming out with them.
I agree with that fact, but I think 20's look to much like city slickers! :td:
Looking for some of your $.02 and some pics....
Thanks
TR

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

I'm wanting to get some bigger wheels for the Sequoia. I've got a bit of hillbilly in me and I like to see the empty space in the wheel well filled with big ole tires! But I know that'll kill my mpg....besides, I have a Powerstroke 4x4 for that stuff anyway!:D
So....my dilemma is ......what size wheels should i put on the rig? I'm thinking 18" is plenty. But the guy at the wheel place says to go with 20's. He says all the new SUV's and trucks are coming out with them.
Thanks
TR
I say go with the 18"s all the way!!! It will ride MUCH better and if your used to driveing a truck around anyway, that's all you need to do is forget you have 20"s on there and go up on a curb on an angle to go around someone :eek: . I personally just think 20's are a bit to much for a truck unless you are a kid/city slicker!!! LOL My vote is for the 18's. Johnnnnny :D

·
Registered
455 Posts

Thanks
TR
20s all the way!!
Click the photos in my Signature.
I think when i was looking around I found more choices out there for tires and wheels on 20s.... than I did for 18's

Now if your worried about looking like us City Folk... just stay away from the CHROME WHEELS....

Either way will fill up some of the GAP in the wheel well..And anything should be better than STOCK.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recommend going with the 20's as well. They are not too big and rough riding like 22's, and they look much better than 18's. Even though 18's and meaty tires will ride better, you can still get offroad tires in 20's. Also, 18's were so 1990's, its 2007 and you gotta kick it up a notch. I would get 20x8.5 rims and 285/50/R20 tires and you shouldn't have any rubbing problems at all. Check out my gallery pics. Hope this helps

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well, 18's are just fine for this old faht.:p
Seriously, with any larger wheel size you'll need upgraded shocks - like Bilsteins - because of the increased weight of the wheel tire combo. The stock shocks will not handle 18s much less 20's.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
well coming from someone that's had 20s (265/50/20) and almost 24s, but now rolling on 18s (285/65/18) i'd say that your best bet is 18s from what you've posted.

my 20s actually worked well in almost every condition with the stock suspension. it's not as harsh some say because it really depends on what tire size you go with. i still have my 20s and may put them on my wife's '04 runner once her tires wear out.

check out my gallery and you'll see the difference of the two.

good luck!! :tu:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been going through the same dilemma. The wife wants 18 because she's worried about the ride, and I worry about the weight of 20's, but they do look nice. I don't go off road a lot, but it's nice to have the capability and I have to deal with deep snow sometimes. From what I can tell, a good set of 18's (say Enkei RT6) w/ tires won't weigh any more than stock. But choices are very limited in 18", especially when you are trying to buy used (I'm cheap). I think if you stay away from chrome, the weight of 20's won't be as big a problem. I'm also getting to the mileage where I will need to replace shocks/pads/rotors anyway, so I figure I might as well upgrade then. Bottom line - I will probably jump on the first good deal I find. I would like to see more pictures of 18's though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts