Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving ALOT lately and it looks like this will be the norm for me. I have no kids...yet, and am by myself over 90% of the time. This truck doesn't make alot of sence right now. I love it, don't get me wrong, but not the easiest to park down town etc...

I do pull a boat in the summer a few times, but nothing a Taco couldn't handel.

The main reason would be to try and reduce my fuel cost, and easier to mauver in town and all parking lots.

Any other Tundy owners contimplate this move ?

Maybe this is a thread I should post on the Tacoma section. Maybe I should go test drive one again and make sure I like the ride etc...

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
01-04 3.4 V6. Very torquey and great on gas.

I have no experience with the 05+ models but I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like the '05+ taco's alot, I was going to get one....I ended up getting a new '06 Tundra AC 4.0 cheaper than what I could get a Taco for. I like the 4.0 even in the Tundra, plenty of power. I get anywhere from 19-21 mpg so far (I have 10k on her now). My girlfriend has a 4runner with the 4.0 and gets 24mpg all the time. I would assume the Taco should be about the same.

If you drive 25k /yr, get about 17mpg in the Tundra, get 24mpg in the Taco you'll save about $1245 /yr at $2.90/gal. I wouldn't do anything unless you get a really good deal on the Taco and you are able to unload the Tundra at a very fair price.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drive about 65000 KM, or 45000 miles I guess, but I have a heavy right foot:rolleyes: .

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
i like the tacomas alot esp the crewcab-long wheel base. however i don't like the price!! i'm the only one in my family with a tundra. everyone else has a tacoma. there really isn't THAT big of difference in MPG. i always said the ONLY reason i'd trade my 2nd best friend (1st is my dog leonard), my for-the-moment true love (the 1 that i spend money on anyway) tundra would be if toyota came out with a diesel tacoma. ;)

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was kind of considering the same thing except I was thinking of a FJ Cruiser instead of a Tacoma, I decided to keep my Tundra. First of all you are going to lose a lot of money on the trade, at least $10,000 if not more. That is the difference they quoted me last year on a trade for my 05 AC 4x4 on a new FJ. Figures would be similar for a Tacoma. IMO the Tacoma is WAY overpriced:rolleyes: For a couple of grand more you can buy an 07 Tundra. Pretty much all of the people I know that own the new Tacoma 4x4s are only getting about 4 MPG better than my Tundra. An extra 4 MPG sounds good BUT you will have to keep the Tacoma for a long time for the minor savings in fuel to break even with the initial cost for the trade and by that time you would need another vehicle anyway, not really worth it IMO. Plus the Tacoma has that stupid &*$%@# plastic box.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I have considered it, but can't get over that plastic box. You are right in that the new TACOs are way overpriced for what one is getting. If you get the v6, it is the same 4.0 that we have in our trucks. It is not worth the smaller room, plastic bed, high price, etc. It would take a long time to recoup anything and of course they will kill you on a trade. I hate dealing with the idiots at the dealers. Most of them are out to screw the little guy.

When I had a 98 Ranger 4 banger, it only got 24-26 on the highway. I lived with a clutch, no power and close quarters for the extra 3-5 mile per gal savings for many years. It just wasn't worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got an 02 AC tundra last fall but what I wanted was a new style Tacoma. I found I couldn't get one for what I had to spend and I fell in to a nice 4x4 limited TRD for a good price. I like the new tacos I had a 98' that I put 250K on with no trouble. The new tacos seem like they are just a little bit smaller than the old style tundras, they have almost the same tow rating and get better mileage. I think they are pretty good. I especially like that you can get one with a 6 speed manual!

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't be concidering a Tacoma if I was lossing money on my truck. I can get out of it what I have oweing.

Pugnickle, why is the composit (plastic) box a bad thing????

·
Registered
225 Posts
The new tacos seem like they are just a little bit smaller than the old style tundras, they have almost the same tow rating and get better mileage. I think they are pretty good. I especially like that you can get one with a 6 speed manual!

My Tundra 4.0 a/c has a 6spd manual. I get between 17 and 19 mpg with mostly city driving. It can really move when coaxed and handles quite well off road with the high ground clearance and limited slip. The suspension is a little cushy.

I thought about trading to a Tacoma prerunner, but the only improvement would be maybe 2-4 mpg at best and a little bit more parking/ manuevering ease. Not worth the $7-9K loss that I'd be taking on trading in (yes, I also explored that route).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put ~30000miles on my 05 AC prerunner Tacoma before I traded for my Tundra. I average ~20mpg both city and highway. The Tacoma was a great truck, I think it was quicker then the Tundra, and I never had any problems with it. I got the Tundra for the V8 and the extra cab space.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
why is the composit (plastic) box a bad thing????
They break. There have been several warranty claims from people effectively using the bed as it's intended to do, but the weight made the bed just snap at its stress points.

Metal beds don't do that.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Maybe you should consider importing a Toyota Hilux from Europe.

Toyota - Hilux

These trucks look awesome, they come with a diesel, and they can tow.

They get 7.2 litres per 100 km highway

so

1.9 gallons for 62 miles

32-33 mpg..damn, that's impressive for a truck!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think he should just trade me straight out for my V6 access cab with manual tranny. He'd be happy, get better gas mileage, and have a slightly more manueverable vehicle with good interior room. And my surgically repaired ankle would thank him.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Maybe you should consider importing a Toyota Hilux from Europe.

Toyota - Hilux

These trucks look awesome, they come with a diesel, and they can tow.

They get 7.2 litres per 100 km highway

so

1.9 gallons for 62 miles

32-33 mpg..damn, that's impressive for a truck!
this would be AWSOME except if i had to have it worked on! i wonder what it would cost to buy one of these and have it shipped over?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I traded an 05 Tacoma for an 06 Tundra. I averaged 17.5 mpg in the Tacoma over the 27000 I put on it and I average 15,8 in the Tundra. I gave up less than 2 mpg's to gain a lot more room. I loved the Tacoma except when we went on a 2000 mile vacation. Not built for 4!!!! I had a 4x4 TRD in Speedway blue, now I have a Black Tundra. No mods yet, but contemplating some. Taco was modded slightly...awesome looking truck!!Image of Grillcraft 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image HostingP1010070.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 - 19 of 19 Posts