Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I just registered.

My Wife has an LX470. She's grown attached to my BMW and has basically taken it over. The LX is nice, but I'm starting to feel like a soccer mom (I'm a Guy) driving it. I am thinking of switching out to a 2001 Tundra. I only have a 5 mile commute and the pick up bed would really help me with chores around our house. If I got an Access Cab would I be able to put a child seat in the back? Also, anything I should be weary of? I really like the LX, but we bought a 2nd home and I would like to free up some cash. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Plenty of room for a car seat.
Check for lower ball joint recall, brake tsb. A search on these will give you more detail.
Have a trusted mechanic inspect it if you feel it's needed, should cost around $50.
I would look for a 2002, I believe the tranny was improved along with the steering.
My dad sold his 2001 LX 470 last year for about $35K perfect cond.

·
Registered
933 Posts
TRANSMISSION ;) Have it checked! Oh, welcome to the boards!

The early Tundras are well known for some tranny issues. Some go 200K+ without issues, while some have reported to blow out at 20K, whether it was used for towing or not. :eek: Seems to mainly be an issue on the 2000-2002 models, but I have heard of some woes even on the 03-06 models, but its a different problem with them.

Seems as if the "planetary" gears or something goes out on SOME of the 00-02 models due to weakness. Just check that the transmission service is up to date and shifts through ALL gears are smooth. Also- timing belt change is critical on the V8 models. Due @ 90K, but its not recommended to go beyond 120K on the original belt. I have 104K and ready to change mine... this month or next (April).

I think cracked exhaust manifolds are also a common problem. I have not had that issue yet, so I cannot say for sure on that.

Yeah, I think a child seat will be fine in the rear seat. The doors open wide to accommodate.

BTW - I love my Tundra, but if you want to trade that LX for it, let me know! :D J/K. I could not afford the difference in price! :)

Good luck!

Also, anything I should be weary of?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep, forgot to mention the manifold, along with the o2 sensors.
I believe they have a 7yr/90k ext. warr. I had mine done, they stripped or cracked the manifold while removing the 02 sensor and replaced both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up on what to look for. I would love to see about finding one with a stick. The LX gets about 11mpg (auto/full time 4wd) so I figured out today that the 20k we did last year was about $4800 in gas...yikes...in hindsight I wish I hadn't figured it out!

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
I have a 2002 4.7L V8 Access Cab and I have a child seat in mine. However, if you are taller than, say, 5-10, you willl probably have to mount the seat in the middle position to allow the driver seat further backward travel to fit your legs in! If the seat configuration is the 60/40 split bench, then also note that the passenger seat's rearward adjustment will be limited by the car seat as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is no way you are putting a child seat in the back unless you like the passenger side front seat moved all the way forward. Ain't happening. I am on my 3rd child seat and I haven't found one yet that will fit. But as far as the trunk goes, best I've ever owned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is no way you are putting a child seat in the back unless you like the passenger side front seat moved all the way forward. Ain't happening. I am on my 3rd child seat and I haven't found one yet that will fit. But as far as the trunk goes, best I've ever owned.
Ditto what this guy said. I'm 6'3" NO car seat behind me no way. We have to put the carrier type in the middle and the booster behind the passenger seat. Wife has to have her seat way forward:(. She's not happy riding that way. Welcome to the forum, and Good Luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ditto what this guy said. I'm 6'3" NO car seat behind me no way. We have to put the carrier type in the middle and the booster behind the passenger seat. Wife has to have her seat way forward:(. She's not happy riding that way. Welcome to the forum, and Good Luck.
x2..........this is why ive decided to turn my tundra into a race truck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love my 2001 AC ! It has spoiled me as far as all the other trucks I've owned and driven. I got mine because I needed a little more room because both of my kids are in school now and my old truck wasn't big enough for two kids and me. Yes, my girls love to ride in the back, but they don't use a car seat now. As for the problems, I think they are probably not as prevalent as one would gather on internet sites like this. I'm sure there are problems, but all vehicle models have their "lemons". I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was well kept one with decent mileage.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Hey Guys, I just registered.

My Wife has an LX470. She's grown attached to my BMW and has basically taken it over. The LX is nice, but I'm starting to feel like a soccer mom (I'm a Guy) driving it. I am thinking of switching out to a 2001 Tundra. I only have a 5 mile commute and the pick up bed would really help me with chores around our house. If I got an Access Cab would I be able to put a child seat in the back? Also, anything I should be weary of? I really like the LX, but we bought a 2nd home and I would like to free up some cash. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I'm on my second Tundra first one was totaled out from somebody running a red light and T bone my new 2000 Tundra.Wile i have to say the Tundra has been nice I will never ever buy a first year or second Production Truck from Toyota when it comes to truck's.Research has showen me even on the new Tundra problem's are poping up more then it's worth buying into the new hype.

My 00 Tundra had the following problem's all under warrenty thank god I spend money on the ext warrenty that was money worth spending.

1.Paint issues repainted by Toyota (Thunder grey)
2.Brakes ,brakes and more brakes (flaw in calipers redesigned in mid 2003)
3.poor trim and window molding's like plastic being cheap (replaced by me)
4.o2 sensor's on my 00 started having problem 3 week's before Tundra was totaled glad i didn't replace that . 2004 Tundra had it's O2 sensors replaced on all of them (under warrenty) and loaner provided :D

4.ball joint's recall jeez(2004)

safety can't beat this hit at 45 mph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts