Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be looking to get a new SUV later this year and a 03 or 04 Sequoia is one of SUV's that I'm considering to purchase.

What common issues are the 03 and 04 Sequoias having? Basically, I want to know what things to watch out for when inspecting and test driving a Sequoia.

Also, if I end up getting one from a dealer what TSB work should I make sure was done to it?

Whatever SUV I purchase will need to be very reliable because I plan to keep it for a long time. I would really like to have vehicle that last at least 5 more years without any expensive maintenance issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 2003 Sequoia with 68,000 miles on it a year ago and some expenses I have encountered have been brake pads for both front and rear, rotors for the rear, and 4 new tires. Between oil changes and these other expenses I have probably spent just over $1000. I have no engine noises or any other concerns at this time pertaining to the engine (knock on wood).

Some things to look out for:
-make sure all windows including the sunroof and the back window work (mine didn't).
-check the tire tread
-ask about brake pads and when they were last replaced

Actually, those are pretty general, so I guess I have no more 'Sequoia specific' items to mention.

The only thing you need to watch out for is too much head room, plenty of leg room, a smooth ride, and lots of head turns.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I will be looking to get a new SUV later this year and a 03 or 04 Sequoia is one of SUV's that I'm considering to purchase.

What common issues are the 03 and 04 Sequoias having? Basically, I want to know what things to watch out for when inspecting and test driving a Sequoia.

Also, if I end up getting one from a dealer what TSB work should I make sure was done to it?

Whatever SUV I purchase will need to be very reliable because I plan to keep it for a long time. I would really like to have vehicle that last at least 5 more years without any expensive maintenance issues.

If your going to go for a 2004 you might as well just go for a 2005 because that's the year they started to use the VVTi motor and the 5 speed trans. 2005 has so much more power.. Just my opinion, Johnnnnny

·
Registered
191 Posts
By 03 a lot of the bugs were worked out so there isn't a whole lot to worry about.

The brakes were fixed & the tranny was upgraded by then.

Just do a regular check on it & make sure it is in good condition

The only recall is the ball joints - if they aren't done you can have them don later - just call a dealer with the VIN - no cost to you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There ARE some important things to look out for on these trucks. They don't necessarily affect the running of the truck from point A to point B but they can be very expensive...and GOOD LUCK reselling it.

AC Compressor...the '01-02 AC system had undersized refrigerant lines (this was fixed in '03, as I understand, AND an undersized compressor. The 03 still has the undersized compressor...
check the AC, watch for the AC light to be on and solid...NOT BLINKING!
make sure it blows cold air...and make sure to listen to the AC in operation. If you hear any nasty grating/grinding noises, or if the compressor seems to "drag" too much...use extreme caution. The compressor itself can be replaced for about $1k at a dealer but if it detonates you'll be looking at $2k+ to replace all the refrig. lines as well.

VSC/TRAC/ESC system...there are several weaknesses in this finicky system. Can be as simple as low brake fluid...brake system damage...sensor problem, or new ECU required ($2,500ish). The VSC/TRAC and brake lights should come on when you put the key ON and should shut off after a few seconds. Otherwise look for another rig. also make sure the 4wd engages properly and the center diff locks properly. The lights will flash for a few seconds (sometimes almost a minute) but will stop flashing after a while and stay solid.

Back door hardware...Some folks use the back window more than others. It's a big, heavy window that can get off-track. If it does it's hard to get it aligned and fixed permanently. There are also issues with the back door latch. It's plastic and tends to deform and break over time.

They are big trucks and need big brakes. Brake pads are relatively cheap and easy to do, tho, and there are several aftermarket pads & rotors out there.

Don't be afraid, Sequoias tend to be reliable trucks...but they're not perfect and there are some things to look out for. I'd almost consider buying a "major component coverage" warranty because of the VSC, AC, and trans issues on some of these trucks.

-G

·
Registered
49 Posts
-Listen for exhust tic when accelerating.
-make sure all warning lamps light up when turning key on
-some knock when cold. Mine never has even when I have taken it to Flagstaff.

I have an 02 Sequoia I am thinking about selling. I am getting a company car in a couple weeks.

It is Blue/grey with grey int 2wd SR5. I am from AZ and there is absolutely NO RUST on this car anywhere even the exhaust. It is kept in a garage. It has 85K on it. It has a slight exhaust leak. I wouldn't be suprised if it was the typical driver side exhaust manifold. I was going to put some JBA headers on it and still may if I decide to keep it. It has a few scratches on it but has never been in an accident.

SR5 options plus(some may be redundant)
Fog lamps
Runing boards
front/rear climate control
tow package
temp/compass
side airbags
dual power front seats
New windshiled. New front Brakes.
New axle seals and axles last year.
Transmission has been flushed at 58K and 75K with the filter being done at 60K.
no leans on title. will help ship.
I am looking for $15000 FIRM.

Mike mmikulak at yahoo dot com if interested

1 - 6 of 6 Posts