Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 4.7L and was thinking of getting a Rv maybe around 20ft or so. Does the truck handle it well? I towed a boat once and I really could feel it behind me. Don't remember the size but no bigger than 20ft.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I towed a 20ft TT and put over 5k miles in the past 7 years. It tows fine, hills are a bit of a challenge. turn your OD off on any hill or incline. I got around 8-9 mpg but I live in WA state and we have some mountains here and that's where I would camp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have pulled a TrailManor camper about 25K miles with my 05 DC through all conditions.

The trailer weighs 3K unloaded and close to 4K lbs. fully loaded.(24ft. long while travelling) We also have the box fully loaded when travelling. We get 12-16 MPG (avg. 14 or so) depending on terrain and wind.

Going through some mountain passes was tough but manageable. I personally would not feel comfortable towing more than 5K lbs for long distances. I know others on this site do though regularly.

There is a lot of good. info. on the Towing forum.

regards

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I am regearing my 02 4.7L because I'm crawling up these Colorado passes pulling my 18' Toy Hauler which ways about 4,500 points loaded. Even with overdrive and in 2nd gear up the steep stuff. The engine has the power but the 3.9 gears are terrible for towing up hills. I am putting in 4.56 gears today. Also, I have 33" tires that hurt my towing performance.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I tow a 23' TT with my 05 DC and live where there are some mountainous areas. I think a bone stock would tow very well. I did some mods to mine, cat-back SIDO exhaust and went about three inches bigger on my tires. That really hurt my low end. I fixed those issues now and my truck tows like a champ. Hope this helps and I would take a look at the Towing section of the forum. There are a bunch of guys with lots of experience and knowledge when it comes to towing with 1st gen Tundras.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I towed a 20ft TT and put over 5k miles in the past 7 years. It tows fine, hills are a bit of a challenge. turn your OD off on any hill or incline. I got around 8-9 mpg but I live in WA state and we have some mountains here and that's where I would camp.
Where in Seattle are you Mike? I lived in Mill Creek for a while and now live on the peninsula in Sequim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have pulled a TrailManor camper about 25K miles with my 05 DC through all conditions.

The trailer weighs 3K unloaded and close to 4K lbs. fully loaded.(24ft. long while travelling) We also have the box fully loaded when travelling. We get 12-16 MPG (avg. 14 or so) depending on terrain and wind.

Going through some mountain passes was tough but manageable. I personally would not feel comfortable towing more than 5K lbs for long distances. I know others on this site do though regularly.

There is a lot of good. info. on the Towing forum.

regards
WOW!!
That's really good. I barely get with with no load and trailer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got 15mpg on my last trip to Colorado with just gear and no trailer. I thought the trailer would really kill it. Id love to get the new 5.7L.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I wish I could average 14mpg. On my trip the other weekend I averaged 10.4 towing around 5k. The funny part is that just running around town, the SG says I'm only getting around 15mpg.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I am in Puyallup. I used to work in renton (Boeing).
Know kidding. I almost bought a house in Puyallup back in 01 when I was getting out of the Army. I had a job lined up with AT&T Wirless in Bothell, so I decided driving from Puyallup to Bothell was to far. I bet your glad you don't have to deal with the Renton S-curves any more.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Here is what I tow with my 2005 D-Cab. Tongue to tail is about 28ft. It is over 5k and I am running 33 inch tires. last trip I got a little over 10mpgs. I got 12 on average towing with 275 tires. This is on streets mostly because no freeway goes to the desert from here So I end up going up over the mountains on 2 lane roads.

The problem I feel most is the wind resistance. The truck will get me up to speed fairly easy but once I hit about 55 or so the wind drag on the high trailer kicks in. Head winds kill gas mileage. I towed it from oregon to san diego with no issues at all, it was a little scary since I did not have the weight distribution hitch at the time but I got it now and all is good.

There is a trailer that pops up and has hard sides. some one on this site has one. It is supposed to be great to tow with no wind drag since it squats down and when you park to camp it lengthens to 27 feet and pops up to normal height. I think it is cool. I will look and see if I can find it.

I think this is it. http://www.trailmanor.com/index.htm

Brucea up top says he has a trailmanor

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a trailer that pops up and has hard sides. some one on this site has one. It is supposed to be great to tow with no wind drag since it squats down and when you park to camp it lengthens to 27 feet and pops up to normal height. I think it is cool. I will look and see if I can find it.

I think this is it. TrailManor|Easy Towing|Lighweight Travel Trailer

Brucea up top says he has a trailmanor
Yes, I have the 3124KB. I would venture that the lower profile makes a big difference in MPG.
I get worse mileage when I carry my kayaks on top of my cab (50-60lbs. each, I carry 2-4) than when I pull the camper. Headwind or crosswind exacerbates the problem.

Air resistance/friction is the enemy. :thumb:

cheers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This was my rig, a 24' travel trailer. Fully loaded, it weighed around 4500lbs. I would get about 8-12mpg depending on conditions. A good weight-distributing hitch and good tires on the trailer makes all the difference in the world! My truck is stock besides a K&N FIPK, Borla cat-back and 255/85R16's (33").

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,168 Posts
I've been towing a 26' Outback travel trailer since Oct of 2003. 4,700 lbs as weighed on a truck scale. This was before going with an RCD 6" lift and 35's. I did regear to 4.88's and towing is good. We've been to Death Valley, Yellowstone, numerous trips to the coast, Oregon, etc and most recently a 2 week trip up to Oregon and Washington. 2,400 miles round trip on that one. I do have some other mods - JBA headers, larger tranny cooler (sending unit in the pan with an 'A' pillar gauge pod) and a Unichip. A good weight distribution hitch is also highly recommended. My Tundra now has 131,000 miles and still runs and tows great! :tu:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I've been towing a 26' Outback travel trailer since Oct of 2003. 4,700 lbs as weighed on a truck scale. This was before going with an RCD 6" lift and 35's. I did regear to 4.88's and towing is good. We've been to Death Valley, Yellowstone, numerous trips to the coast, Oregon, etc and most recently a 2 week trip up to Oregon and Washington. 2,400 miles round trip on that one. I do have some other mods - JBA headers, larger tranny cooler (sending unit in the pan with an 'A' pillar gauge pod) and a Unichip. A good weight distribution hitch is also highly recommended. My Tundra now has 131,000 miles and still runs and tows great! :tu:
Sounds like you've taken some awesome trips. I would love to take the TT to Yellowstone some time. How has the Unichip been working for you while towing. I have redone my exhaust, removed the Flowmaster SIDO setup for a Magnaflow SISO. I also put on some Doug Thorley headers and have been thinking about the chip. I haven't ready many comments about towing with the Unichip. I checked their website to see if they had a towing mode like some other chip manufacturers. Whats your impression of its performance while towing?

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,168 Posts
Sounds like you've taken some awesome trips. I would love to take the TT to Yellowstone some time. How has the Unichip been working for you while towing. I have redone my exhaust, removed the Flowmaster SIDO setup for a Magnaflow SISO. I also put on some Doug Thorley headers and have been thinking about the chip. I haven't ready many comments about towing with the Unichip. I checked their website to see if they had a towing mode like some other chip manufacturers. Whats your impression of its performance while towing?
We sure have! Wonderful memories and tons of pictures! My kids (now 12 and 8 1/2) love the trips too and it's a great way to see the country.

Anyway, I installed the Unichip probably 5 to 6 years ago, the thing I noticed right off was that the shifts seemed to be quicker and tighter. Also, it would 'hold a gear' longer before shifting. There was supposed to be a gain in HP and torque but it's been so long since I installed it that I honestly don't recall if I noticed that or not. The headers and the Unichip compliment each other nicely. I have not had a single issue with the Unichip. I've thought about taking my truck somewhere to get a custom tune on it, but I just haven't made that a priority so I've never done it. Don't know if I ever will. I'm happy with the mods I've made.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just towed a 5000lb 22 foot bayliner to bullards bar lake past marysville, ca. It did great. The best part was when the guy in front of me with a chevy truck pulling his rock crawler Blew up. Then I smoked his buddy towing the same thing up a hill.
Had a great time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts