Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a new to me truck sometime around chrsitmas. I was thinking of an 07-08 tundra double cab with the 5.7. I have found several for around 20k. It would be used as a daily driver and to pull either my 65 mustang or 72 maverick drag car to the racetrack. any opinions on what to look out for will be appreciated

·
Registered
40 Posts
First off, I'm not a mechanic, all of my statements are my opinions and experience only.

Couple of questions, which engine are you thinking of getting, the 4.7L I-Force or the 5.7L? In all honesty, the 4.7L is a gas guzzler even for a small V8. It sucks about as much as the 5.7L and produces about 70 less horsepower and 90 less ft/lb of torque. The price difference between the two engines is only $1000. If it was me, I'd get the biggest and most powerful Toyota has to offer, the 5.7L. I just recently bought my 2010 Tundra so I haven't fully experienced the 5.7, but I used to own a 2001 Tundra with the 4.7L I-force before they increased the horsepower. The 4.7L is a good engine, but not an efficient one, it eats up alot of gas, but was well underpowered. Remember this was in a 4500lb Tundra before they beefed it up, so if you're on a budget, I'd recommend at least looking into the 4.6L they have out there now. Unfortunately, it's only available in 09' or 10' models only. Reliability wise, I hardly had any problems with my old Tundra, nothing major ever went wrong nor did it give out. I put this engine through a grueling highschool kid test, basically beat the hell out of it off-road and race anyone and everyone whenever I got the chance. When buying the Toyota brand, no matter what you buy, engine, vehicle or anything else, you'll get the Toyota quality. I understand lately, the quality has been lacking, what with all the recalls and what not, but mainly alot of those problems has been with electronic malfunctions and little gadgets. Powertrain wise, you will not lose out, when Toyota builds their vehicles, they put alot of time and effort into it. Another thing is aftermarket performance, are you looking into increasing the power of the Tundra cause if you are, there isn't that much choices out there. Other than TRD and some high performance companies, there isn't that many choices for aftermarket power. Chevy, Dodge and Ford are flooded with aftermarket power upgrades, unfortunately Toyota does not fit the same boat.

Second, are you getting a 4x2 or 4x4? If you're getting a 4x4, theres more parts involved, and with that, theres more potential things breaking down. Back when I had the 2001 Tundra, my biggest problem was the grease joint for the front differential to the wheel. Alot of times, if you don't take care of those parts, they'll start to give out on you. This wasn't just a Toyota problem, it goes with any vehicle with an IFS. So when looking at a vehicle, check the joint if you're getting a 4x4. If grease is oozing out of it, then it could indicate a potential problem. Another minor problem I had with my old Tundra was the front disc brakes, this was a manufacture defect, since the old tundras had 4 piston calipers in the front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. The front disc would tend to get warped easily, fortunately it was under warranty, so Toyota replaced the whole front brake system for my for free. If they didn't, it would of cost me at least $2000 to fix. I think now a days, Toyota has fixed that problem, and have a well advanced system in place of the old.

In all, the Tundra is a good vehicle, in all my years of experience with trucks, Toyota has been a quality pickup. I've owned a 98' Jeep Wrangler, 03' Chevy Tahoe, and 85' Chevy Blazer, all have given me much more problems and headaches then compared to my old 2001 Tundra. Several of my friends owned Chevys, Fords and Dodges, they've had many of cases where they'll scream and curse at their vehicle for giving them problems. Again, the Tundra is not without its flaw, but in comparison with other brands, (IMO) its a better pick.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thebeast2010SR5 Holysh*t that was one he11 of a first post. haha.

Back to topic, the 5.7L tundra is a great tow vehicle, probably the best power puller in the half ton class, i regularly tow a 27ft 8,000lb (when loaded) toy hauler and the tundra handles it no problem so hauling you cars on a flat bed or enclosed trailer shouldn't be a problem. Id say get some E rated tires a trailer brake controller and your good to go. I've got an 07 SR5 DCSB and its been great, im pushing 45-46K with it now. Only real issue is the stock tires aren't the best in the world and are quickly worthless around 35K.

If i had to do it all over again tomorrow, id still be driving a tundra, by far the best most fun to drive truck ive owned so far.

Best of luck with your decision!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
DON'T DO IT !!! You'll love the truck so much that you'll want to spend more & more $$$ on it to customize!

But seriously, Buy one! You won't look back.

·
Cash-Strapped Supporter
155 Posts
I was in the same boat as you for the past six months. As of yesterday, I am a proud owner of a 2010 Tundra Dbl 4x4 with the 4.6L V8. I assume by the price, you are looking at either the 4.6 RWD or the 5.7 RWD. If towing 10000lbs is going to be a needed option, then the 5.7 is nice [plus it just goes like no other 1/2 ton on the market]. I chose the the 4.6 for hopefully getting better mileage and maybe avoid the AIP problem.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
63 Posts
hi neighbor,

I used to own an 07 silverado crew cab. And I drove my brother's 07 silverado double cab (the one with the small suicide doors) 4x4 for a solid month while he was in Iraq. Both trucks were nice. But this truck is much better. More hp and torque, more room (in the crew max) bigger drive shaft, standard disc brakes, handles better, looks better....it just is better. New or used, you won't be sorry.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
welcome and good luck on the decision.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I would recommend you either buy a used with less than 36K miles so you can purchase a Toyota warranty, or you buy a certified used that comes with an extended certified warranty. I love my Tundra and think its a great truck that exceeds my needs, I will admit that Toyota quality has taken a hit recently. Whether its Toyota parts or outside supplier parts, I don't know. There are so many advanced and intricate parts on this truck, it gets pretty expensive when you have to come out of pocket for $4000 air induction pumps or some other expensive gadget. Also, 2007 was the first year so their are some kinks that needed to be worked out, as is normal with any new major redesign.

Don't take my post as critical of this truck, I love my truck and as a package think its the best 1/2 on the road for my needs. I strongly encourage you to buy one, I really have fun every time I drive it. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 07 DC LTD 5.7 with 90,000kms on it. It has been flawless since I got it. Zero issues and it is still as smooth and tight as it was the day I brought it home. My lease is up and I am going to get another one. I think the only thing you need to look out for are speed traps. :facepalm:

·
Registered
274 Posts
clifs notes. 5.7 for sure, the cab size and bed size for friends and hauling that fit your style. check out the cost of an extended warranty if you plan on keeping it for awhile. overall they are good trucks. i had an 07 and now have a '10 when i had the pick of anything i wanted - i came back to a tundra.

make sure whatever you get, check if there are any crazy *** $$$$$ recalls on it. run the vin, check recall sites, etc. would suck to buy a new to you truck and turn around it send it to the shop.

and the think twice? wtf. im sorry i thought i was on tundra website. 16 posts, please tell us of your horror stories of owning a tundra? im sure your needed on the martha stewart site.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I love my 10 DC way more than my old 06 Ram. This thing scrams with the 5.7 way more than that HEMI ever did. I haven't towed anything yet but I cannot see where it would be a problem unless i try to pull a house.

I used to work with a lady that had a Gen-1 and pulled a pop-up camper with it and a utility trailer full of firewood. They had no complaints about the power of the 4.7, then again they had never drove a 5.7.

My suggestion is to do some reaserach on what you want. Power and economy are two different evils when buying a truck. Do you get the powerhouse that will pull anything or do you get the one with enough power to get you there but that gets good enough economy to make it worth while.

I do pull some small trailers with big loads and I have been known to load the crap out of the bed (payload means nothing unless the springs are arched the other way). I will sacrifice fuel economy in order to pull these loads and be able to get out of the way of other idiots that do not know how to drive.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
... I will sacrifice fuel economy in order to pull these loads and be able to get out of the way of other idiots that do not know how to drive.
And I'll sacrifice fuel economy to have faster truck that's more fun to drive, especially when the MPG difference is so negligible. If I wanted a fuel-sipper, I wouldn't have bought a full-sized truck in the first place. Fuel economy shouldn't be the primary concern when purchasing a 6000lb truck... at least, it's not for ME.

And Og... I like your new avatar!

·
Registered
44 Posts
oh man, i know the feeling ! I just got one yesterday - sold my 05 Tacoma -and now i feel like i can pull my house around, and boy the room inside (crewmax) - omg. im in total love with this thing. i was originally scarred after looking at the engine 5.7L - its so massive ... and so much power, but you know - its SLIGHTLY more than my 4.0L tacoma .. (more of a gas hog ) but not much really... its worth it - i had buyers remorse all day today, but after driving it 400m on my first day towing, and driving another 50+m without the load - i can see im averaging 13-18 -- not bad for all that truck -- my taco did 12-19.5 maybe... depending on the load and it hurt to go up big mountain grades with 1000-2000 lbs behind me. Not this thing.
Enjoy - go get it -- USED if u can -

1 - 17 of 17 Posts