Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Thinking of upgrading from my 00 to an 05

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  canadiantundra666 
#1 ·
Is there any things I should be aware of?

My 00 is an access cab 4wd, I do like it, but I'm wishing I would have got a double cab. I figure I might as well go after an 05-06 for the better engine and transmission right?

Are there any issues I should know about with the later model 1ST gens?

Also I assume I would get better than the 13mpg I get right now, right?

#4 ·
I don't notice a huge difference between my 06 tundra and my old 06 taco.

Probably because the tundra has a bigger tank.

Make sure the driver and passenger seats are solid we have seat frame problems

Check for dash squeaks n rattles common issue

Check for wet power steering rack boots

Check paint well, seems obvious but if you even look at Toyota paint wrong it will scratch

Check for frame rust

Good idea to jack up front and check for looseness in bearings tie rods n such should only be around 1\4 inch of play or less back and forth

#7 ·
My 05 DC XSP is 2WD with the 6 speed transmission. I can get 20 on the highway with premium gas. Regularly tow a ranger bass boat and almost always get at least 16 even through stop and go to the lake and I don't take it easy either. Towed the boat and had a complete pallet of brick pavers in the bed from FL to SC and still got 16 doing 70-75 the whole way mph. The 4.7L is nothing to laugh at on premium gas tranny and engine are very responsive!

I do not know if this is specific to the DC or not but there has always been a clunk when letting off the brakes after stopping. Some have said tranny bolts loose or missing but I have checked that. Others have reported the drive shaft carrier bearing bushing comes apart and lets the bearing move around causing it. Still haven't figured it out.

Unfortunately the paint is a little soft. Small scratches can easily be buffed out though and a glaze every other year works well. Time to do mine again actually. I had someone scratch my drivers door all the way back to the tailgate but got it buffed out and you can really only tell in two spots where the paint got a little too hot and the metal flake got a little blurred. Can't really do that with a hard paint scratch but the soft is easier to scratch to start with so it is what it is.

Even with the XSP's wood dash, console and door control overlays it is one of the most comfortable quietest and squeak free truck rides I have ever been in. I did not think I could ever be so satisfied with a truck. I tend to hit the hill top railroad tracks around here and occasionally get a little airtime. ...I did have a passenger seat airbag sensor that needed to get "zero-point" calibrated because of said air once. Probably time for me to do a complete undercarriage/steering and driveline inspection/servicing though.

I change the oil every 5k miles with synthetic blend and the air filter every 2-3 oil changes and use some fuel injector cleaner when I change the air filter.
The only real issue I have had with my 05 is the SAS pump going out and I have an easy solution for that. I do also have a tire sensor not working right now but that is likely because I have taken my truck to a shop about 8-9 times because I got 2 brand new sets of michelins MS/2 tires back to back that were out of round. Working on a way to just disable the system now since I regularly check my tires and can feel if one is going low while driving.

#8 ·
Best way to disable the light is to just take it out, when I did my led dash mod I just in soldered it and left it out. I do not need a computer telling me I have a low tire what a dumb idea IMO, a tire gauge is 2 bucks. I did the same thing in my Tacoma too.

And your clunk could also be axle wrap, it was real bad in my Tacoma after a 1.5 aal. Easy way to tell is after you come to a complete stop just slightly let off the brake to "loosen the tension on the drive shaft" then drive off normally and if its fine, probably just axle wrap. I get it very infrequently with a 1 inch block on my tundra.

The 5 speed is more reliable than the 4 speed, apparently, from what I've read, but I must say from the YouTube videos I've watched the non vvti 4.7 sounds better.

#10 ·
04 till 06 are the only available 1st gen DC Tundra's. No 03 offered.
The only thing I find intimidating on the VVT 4.7L is that changing cam seals requires the complete removal of the cam, not just the removal of the pulley.
Get the 05-06 an don't look back ;-)
Just my 2 cents. (Do you guys still have pennies?)

Tye

#13 ·
Lol, best I've gotten so far has been 13.5.

Anyone know why the 05s are rated with more power than the 06?
I'm curious about this also. '05 4.7l vvt-i 282HP/325 torque. '06 4.7l vvt-i 271HP/313 torque.

Both motors and the auto trans were built in Japan I think, hence the 65% US parts content for the Indiana plant.

#16 ·
I'm curious about this also. '05 4.7l vvt-i 282HP/325 torque. '06 4.7l vvt-i 271HP/313 torque.

Both motors and the auto trans were built in Japan I think, hence the 65% US parts content for the Indiana plant.
The powertrains were built in Huntville, AL and JP Toyota UZ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the difference in hp comes from the change in the standard used to measure output between 05 & 06 but both are the same when the same standard is applied to both.

#17 ·
[Q UOTE=atistang;2430369]so they pretty much make the same amount of power then?[/QUOTE]

Yea probably so. 05 saw the addition of vvti and the 5 speed. The vvti gave it and extra 26 hp

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
07+ tundras are borderline hideous. Who ever designed the front end should be fired, then publicly executed.
Lol I have an 07 and when I first saw it thought the same thing. Still agree there are better looking trucks but I grew to love it because I knew I would end up with one. Also leveling actually does wonders for the looks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
07+ tundras are borderline hideous. Who ever designed the front end should be fired, then publicly executed.
I have to agree. I like a sloping hood. A huge grill isn't necessary for cooling. So much cleaner looks with a sloping hood and a smaller grill.

I was at the dealer today and the 2nd Gen interior wasn't anything to make a difference. Floorshifter? No thanks, column shifter is better. The 4WD knob on the 2nd Gen is right next to the heater knob, a big no-no.

Ever since Dodge went to that big grille other brands have tried to emulate that look. Toyota has pulled it off better than Ford and Chevy, though, those two are even more hideous.

#24 ·
I agree. The 07+ do nothing for me
Seems like the 07+ have shorter driver and passenger windows. Maybe it's just an illusion. I like visibility, and the 07+ seem to me to lack some compared to the 1st Gen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.