Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and all I could find is stuff on LED's. I took off the lens on my third brake light this morning and all three reflectors are burned compleatly through above and below the bulb:confused:. I would think this should not happen, in my eye its a possible fire hazzard!! Its the factory bulbs because im the orignal owner and have never changed them. The only reason I took the lens off is I too have been bitten by the LED bug. I could see possibly the two white cargo lights melting the plastic if the were left on a steady burn for some time, but not the brake light. I mean, how long is the brake light on? Yea, I'm in Houston traffic, but its not on a steady burn, its on and off. Either way, it should not happen. IMO! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yeep, same thing in my 06. I got some very thin aluminum, cut and bended it into the pockets to cover the melted areas, then glued some Luxeon III star LEDs into the pockets.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me being me, I did the search after I post the question :der: Seems a lot of folks have had this issue.

Ya know, I have owned Toyotas in one form or another for the better part of twenty five years. I have been a member of TS for a couple of months now and am really getting frustrated at some of the things I'm finding out about my Tundra. Obvious engienering shortfalls IMHO, brakes, third brake light housing melting, front end vibrations, ball joints, etc. I mean I like my truck, but Damn people (Toyota) brakes don't warrent a recall, thats the most safety related part of a vehicle is it not. Who cares how many miles are on it, if you screwed up, fix the damn thing. Were not talking little things here, brakes, possible fire hazzards, these are things that can kill people or totaly distroy a vehicle. What else have I not uncovered about my truck on TS that may need my attention?

On a good note, I have learned more about my truck than I ever thought I would need to know, and still think they are some of the best vehicles on the road. And thank goodness for this forum, or I would have never known and kept throwing good money after bad!!

OK i'm done now!

Dennis

·
2,875 Posts
Well the same thing happened to my t-bird so I imagine that its more common that we think. Those bulbs get pretty hot and with repeated or prolong activation of the brake light a lot of heat can be generated. I might consider replacing them with led's just for that alone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
same thing happened to my 04, took it back to the dealer explaining what a hazard it is they changed out the plastic free of charge! i was quite surprised to get something free from a stealership.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts