Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just joined the list as I'm thinking about finally upgrading the sound system in my 2005 Tundra double cab. It's got the JBL audio system in it but that definitely isn't cutting it.

I've spent the last couple of hours or so going through the forum and it sounds like the concensus (if there is one) is to go with two JL 8" 8W3v2 subs in the jack compartment and maybe some Polk DB6750's for the front doors. I've got a couple 10" JL subs in my Civic and love them so there's no need to convince me how good the JLs are.

Until I can allocate all of the funds to complete the job, I figure the upgrade should probably go in this order but please tell me if there's anything I should change!

1st: Replace stock JBL door speakers
2nd: Install subs and amp
3rd: Replace head unit

Does that sound about right? I've got a couple Rockford Fosgate amps already (one older Punch 45 type and another higher powered) that I'd like to use but have no idea what is the best ohm configuration for the subs (maybe off topic). And what exactly do you need to do to the jack compartment for the subs to sound right? I've read about some type of lining (dynomate?), insulation (polyfill?) and a baffle (like the one at http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/83167-subs-under-storage-pictures/ ) so I'm just trying to figure out everything that's needed to make the subs sound great.

I'm also concerned about monkeying with the steering wheel audio controls (man, I've come to *love* that!) but have read that there's some additional RF control that you can add to keep that functionality. Does anyone have experience with that? How big of a PITA was it to get working?

Thanks for the great forum guys! There's a lot of very useful info here!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
What model are those amps? I need to know to look up how much power you have to work with.

How much are you looking to spend? I can pick you out some nice stuff (maybe even better than polk, JL for less $$).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

The one that I have in my Civic that's powering my JL PowerWedge is a Punch 100a2. Not anything crazy but it does the job. I also have a Punch 800a2 that I pulled out of my old F-250 and has been sitting in the garage for the last two years.

It sounds like you'd know better than me but I was thinking of using the 100 to drive the front speakers and the 800 to drive the subs. The 800 says that it'll do 200x2 watts RMS into 4 ohms w/ less than 0.05% THD from 20-20KHz. But it'll also do 400x2 watts RMS into 2 ohms w/ less than 0.10% THD from 20-20KHz. I don't need anything that's going to blow my ear drums out -- just something that will sound good. Is the 4 ohm option what I'd want then?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Hi,

The one that I have in my Civic that's powering my JL PowerWedge is a Punch 100a2. Not anything crazy but it does the job. I also have a Punch 800a2 that I pulled out of my old F-250 and has been sitting in the garage for the last two years.

It sounds like you'd know better than me but I was thinking of using the 100 to drive the front speakers and the 800 to drive the subs. The 800 says that it'll do 200x2 watts RMS into 4 ohms w/ less than 0.05% THD from 20-20KHz. But it'll also do 400x2 watts RMS into 2 ohms w/ less than 0.10% THD from 20-20KHz. I don't need anything that's going to blow my ear drums out -- just something that will sound good. Is the 4 ohm option what I'd want then?

Thanks!

If you were going to keep those amps, use the 100 drive the front speakers at 25x2 (vastly underrated), and the 800 to drive a sub (dunno if you wanted 2 or just one sub). If you wanted one sub you would need a dual 2ohm verson that would wire to 4ohms for the full 800x1 to the sub. For 2 subs you would need dual 4ohm version that would let the amp push it's 400x2.

The amps you have are really nice and are vastly underrated. You may not even want to go with the 800 b/c you will be pushing over 1000w to your sub stage and only about 60x2 to your front stage.

I just priced at elementaldesigns.com a package for you. Their front component set, a 100x2 front amp, a 600x1 sub amp, a 12" sub and 120sgft of sound deadner for $750. Add their wires and a custom box built by them and you could come in at under $1000. I think that would be a more viable option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts