Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last night, buddy calls and wants to go to the Indian reservation that's about 60 miles away to buy real fireworks.

We're in his van, (brand unimportant) almost there and we both hear a slight screech followed by the alt. light coming on. A few miles later, the alternator must have seized completely and tossed the belt.

No power steering/alt/water pump but we soldier on. I know the vehicle has a limp home mode to ensure no overheating but I'm worried the battery may not keep us running much longer.

We make it, but know we can't make it home.

After many calls to BOTH our roadside service providers, I get mine to tow us back into Vegas..........but the tow truck won't get here for at least 90 minutes; which would put us at 2:00 am and we woud still be 20+ miles from home!! The tow company is less than 40 miles away. Farkin' worthless policies.....maybe for another thread.

So I call my kid to grab the mighty Tundra, hook up the trailer and come and get us.

Unlike Kommiefornia, Nevada doesn't restrict speed while towing......speed limit is 75MPH and the kid abused that number a tad for sure since he drove the 60+ miles in about 40 minutes.

Roll the 3/4 ton van on to the dual axle trailer for a total weight of aprox. 8,500 pounds.

With passengers/fireworks etc.....we were well over 9,000 pounds.

Even though I kept her at 65 MPH, I could accelerate at will up any grade. I tow 5K-6K regularly and always wondered what a max load would feel like...........it felt GREAT!!!

The Tundra handled the load amazingly!!

Did I mention how much I love this truck??

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
its nice to read positive posts now and then,, nice story my man... I know I LOVE mine!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Despite what other manufactures say and what their tow ratings are, no half ton pulls better than a tundra, case and point. I test drove every half ton on the market, while towing, before i bought my tundra and nothing hauled my 8K toyhauler better than the 5.7L. The truck does what its designed to do and it does it *damn* well!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
i had to tow my buddy's evo on a dual axle u-haul trailer from ny into nj and it handled it without a problem.even he was surprised at how it did and at how comfortable it still was to ride in the truck,he even fell asleep since it rode so smooth,lol.the tundra is def a puller thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D/p........

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snakes and sparklers?:D

Especially the ones that came in 5" mortars.....:devil:

Have no idea what a "commericial" firework contains, but this one display in particular claimed 500 grams per hole X 6..........from our vantage point, it was just as large as a "show" burst!!!

All in all we laughed, we cried, we pissed $500 good bye!!!

Back to the mighty T:

That rag, consumer reports, did an objective test that had the Tundra out pulling even the big 2 1/2 diesels in timed events with a 7,200 pound load. I "won" many an internet debate with that data even though I would always concede heavier loads to the beefier trucks.

Based on how our make of truck handled this particular load, I may set that bar a tad higher before saying one needs to step up to a paint shaker............er.....I mean diesel.

·
Cash-Strapped Supporter
155 Posts
Few trucks can get great mileage like the tundra. I have the 4.6L and I consistently get around 18 MPG with mixed driving. I had to drive from my home town to my new duty station today in Oklahoma. 425 miles and she only used 18 gallons, equating to 23.61 MPG! Average speed was 62 mph, so slow and steady. Loving the Tundra right now! :D

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well I have the 4.7L 08 dblcb and figure to trade it in at around 2020 or 250,000 miles. Lets see the 4.7l was at the end of it's 20+ year run so I figure the 5.7l will have another 7+ years left before the discontinue in 2020.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I hauled this the other day, didn't even feel it was back there. I know I know I should've used more tie down straps, but that's all I had. My buddy has a diesel and can haul 2 or 3 of these things. I'm so jealous!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I hauled this the other day, didn't even feel it was back there. I know I know I should've used more tie down straps, but that's all I had. My buddy has a diesel and can haul 2 or 3 of these things. I'm so jealous!
Hilarious!

Here's a picture from the last time I towed/hauled a good bit - really makes you appreciate the fact that this is what the truck was built to do and it does it incredibly well. Towing 5800 lbs, hauling a little over 1500 lbs, 625 miles @ 70-75 mph -- still made over 13 mpg. AND I can run mid 13s in the 1/4...this truck truly does it all.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thank goodness you didn't put that on your new tailgate!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Is the jug full or empty?
It was full, can you belive that!! It didn't even kill my gas miledge!!! I love this truck!! Maybe next time I'll put 2 in there and try out the tow/haul button thingy. I knew those air bags I installed would come in handy. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts