Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone already knows that the Tundra is an awesome truck, but just wanted to write a quick review of a trip my wife and I are currently on. We live in Vail, AZ and are enjoying a long weekend at my parent's place in Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ. It is about 180 miles each way and is entirely two lane highways with some pretty good mountain climbs.

The truck: Stock 2008 Tundra Crewmax SR5 with 5.7L V8 (see sig)

The load: Myself, my wife, our 3 1/2wk old daughter, three dogs (two of which are German Shepherds), two dog crates, stroller, car seat, one suitcase and a few other knick knacks.

The drive: I've romped on the truck before when getting onto highways, but I was left speechless a few times. I had several chances to pass other vehicles while on the drive. I was usually going around 55-60 behind the vehicle, but after flooring it and passing the vehicle, I would usually be going in the 85-90mph range and the truck still had plenty of power. The mountain grades were never an issue and I used S-drive to lock the tranny into 2nd or 3rd while descending. We left about 5:30am and drove with the back window down from Vail to Globe, but then had the A/C on from Globe to Show Low with the back window down about 4". Everyone was very comfortable on the drive up.

The mileage: Here's the kicker and I know alot of you probably aren't going to believe me, but I got 21.2mpg on the drive up. This was hand calculated versus the 20.4mpg that the computer was showing. Filled up the gas tank after driving 428.6 miles with 20.21 gallons which equals 21.2mpg. I have attached a photo of the reciept in the hopes of proving my numbers, but I am now awaiting the sarcastic replies from various members on how I wasn't driving at "real world" speeds (posted speed limit ranged from 35-65mph). After we drive home on Wednesday, I'll post what my MPG was on the return trip.

Anywho....just thought I would share. I plan on driving this truck till the wheels fall off!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
O.K., if you insist, I will write the first sarcastic reply, or at least try to? I do mostly Turnpike driving with some in town when not on the Turnpike and my normal route one way is 32 miles long with about 8 of those miles encountering stop lights. Now, I get between 14-15.5 MPG driving between 75-80 MPH. I'm not saying that you didn't achive your miles per gallon but the one cruical fact you failed to list is how you arrived at the 428.6 miles traveled. In my opinion there are only 2 reliable ways I can think of that are accurate when calculating this. First, hit the trip before you leave the pump; second, write down the ODO miles before you leave the pump and subtract that info from the traveld distance when you fill up. Far too often, people get in their truck, drive off, get on the highway, and then realize, "hey, what's my milage". I've seen this for years even with my own family and friends. They even figure how long they've been on the road like that. As if the milage and time to get to the interstate didn't count?

Again, not saying you did it that way but just a point to consider. At the end of the day, I'm glad you got your MPG's and I hope it stays that way. There are many factors that could contribute to increased milage but your right, it is a little hard to believe when the masses can't do that.

Now there, I hope this is a reply worthy of criticism.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Tsolomon: I reset the trip odometer everytime I gas up

Hey, good deal then!!! I know these things can do better. Too bad we haven't figured out a way to by pass all this enviro crap so that 21mpg would be the minimum mpg instead of the exception.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made the drive home today and got 22mpg. Drove 258.4 miles and used 11.76 gallons. Again, posted limits ranged 35-65mph and I was usually 5-10mph above that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
dont forget us arizonians sometimes get the 75mph signs too espeicallly on the 10, 17, etc....

I-10? OK be honest now, it's 75 for 10 mi, 65 for 10, 55 mph for 5 miles, back up to 70, etc...

Funny coincidence, DPS units and those parked, speed camera-equipped Ford Escapes always seem to like to hang out right around where the limit drops 10-15 mph for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. Go figure.

·
Registered
889 Posts
$2.719 per gallon? WOW...

I have to pay $3.15 per gallon for the cheapest grade.

I believe you.... I used to get that kind of MPG... but not anymore, I have heavy foot now... LOL.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wonder what the difference really is??? Really, I'm not sure why more arn't getting this kind of milage? I'm very easy on the take off and yes I do around 75-80 mph so is it the top end speed that is killing the milage? Maybe the hills I encounter? I'm just trying to figure it out since I don't push the truck and I even use the cruise a lot but I have noticed that when cruise is on that the computer will down shift the truck going up some of the hills where as when I am in control of the throttle the tranny will not down shift at all. In fact, all of my tranny shifts are below 2500 rpm's if that tells you anything about how I drive typically. Of course, when merging 5th gear may go above 2500 but not over 3000 rpm's but this is not all the time or every time so how is it that some are getting 5 to 7 mpg's over the norm? I'm just looking for some factual difference or suggestions that would lead to a repeatable gain in MPG's. Then, maybe more TSers could apply this "difference" in driving technique, so to speak, so that we could all get a little better gains.

Thanks for any help from the mile high milage club!!!!!:tu::D

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
For my truck, 5.7 sr5, if I monitor my rpms and keep them just under 2500, then i can get upwards of 20 mpg. But, that means little to no fast starts, no rushing to hit 65 and not much speed over 70. Yes I did this for a week to see if I could maintain this. And yes if you watch your rpms then you can. Maybe it was 2000 rpms, either way there is a sweet spot if you keep it there you will get 20's mpg, I just couldn't take it anymore. I never watch nor monitor it now so I don't get near that, but I can. :)

Way to keep in there with the speed control. :)

chucky

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I got MUCH better mileage before I put on my CAI, exhaust,more aggressive tires and A.R.E. cap. When my truck was new, I would get about 19.5 going up to the Lake and back. I probably would have gotten better if I tried REAL hard. Now I get about 15.5 on the same trip.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I-10? OK be honest now, it's 75 for 10 mi, 65 for 10, 55 mph for 5 miles, back up to 70, etc....
From Tucson to Globe, we took route 77 and then route 260 from Globe to Show Low. We were on the 10 for only 20 miles driving around the outskirts of Tucson.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$2.719 per gallon? WOW...

I have to pay $3.15 per gallon for the cheapest grade.

I believe you.... I used to get that kind of MPG... but not anymore, I have heavy foot now... LOL.
The $2.71 gas was up in Show Low....it's $2.51 at the station I fill up at on a regular basis in Tucson. Both prices are for 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder what the difference really is??? Really, I'm not sure why more arn't getting this kind of milage? I'm very easy on the take off and yes I do around 75-80 mph so is it the top end speed that is killing the milage? Maybe the hills I encounter? I'm just trying to figure it out since I don't push the truck and I even use the cruise a lot but I have noticed that when cruise is on that the computer will down shift the truck going up some of the hills where as when I am in control of the throttle the tranny will not down shift at all. In fact, all of my tranny shifts are below 2500 rpm's if that tells you anything about how I drive typically. Of course, when merging 5th gear may go above 2500 but not over 3000 rpm's but this is not all the time or every time so how is it that some are getting 5 to 7 mpg's over the norm? I'm just looking for some factual difference or suggestions that would lead to a repeatable gain in MPG's. Then, maybe more TSers could apply this "difference" in driving technique, so to speak, so that we could all get a little better gains.

Thanks for any help from the mile high milage club!!!!!:tu::D
I realize it's not for everyone, but I try to keep the rpm's under 2000 when accelerating when possible. I don't go above 70mph unless needed and I use the A/C as little as possible when I'm by myself. The A/C is almost always on though when my infant daughter is in the truck. I have been using the 2000 rpm rule for years so it's just how I drive now. Even though I don't trust it very much, I have noticed the average MPG on the truck's computer does go down when I stay above 75-80mph for an extented period of time. So yes, top end speed does play a part. I keep the tire pressure at or above 35lbs in all the tires and keep as little extra/unneeded weight out of the truck. I also hardly ever use cruise control unless the road is absolutely level....the controller does seem to be overly sensitive and down shifts sooner and into a lower gear than what I think is necessary. The other thing on this past trip is that I was not too aggressive on maintaining my speed when I started to go up a hill. I was willing to bleed off up to 5mph if it meant the truck was able to find it's sweet spot and torque up the hill versus running at a higher RPM.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yea, I can see that being the difference. That makes sense to me any ways. Under 2k shifts and no a/c compressor a good part of the time and doing the "bleed off" up the hill and picking up speed down the hill kind of driving. I know that works really well not only becuase I've done it but I've seen that done by some guy known as "hyper mile man" or some name like that and thats what he does and he proved it works on Good Morning America. Well, I didn't think it would make that big a difference but hey, the proof is in the pudding!!!! Thanks!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts