Toyota Tundra Forums banner

How are your newly painted grills, bumpers, other trim holding up to the elements?

• Still perfect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A few chips and scratches here and there but nothin big

• Looks like crap, will have to be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear about these types of mods all the time. They look awesome, and I'm jealous and tempted. I had a 95 Ranger with chrome front grill shell and bumper, and never had to worry about paint flake. Just a little bug-and-tar remover on the chrome bits, then wash them with the rest of the truck. Went to an 04 Dakota Quad Cab with painted front bumper. It was peppered with tons of chips after 5 years.

Now in an 09 Crewmax SR5 with chrome grill shell and black body color bumper cap over a chrome plated bumper. The cap part of the bumper is starting to accumulate chips from rocks and road debris and will probably get repainted in another 2 years ago.

I love the monochromatic look but am afraid to have more painted areas on the truck that will look like crap after a couple years. Especially after I invested my own time and/or money to get the work done.

Just wondering, for those of you who have painted grill shells, bumpers, or whatever:

Who did it.

What was the prep process (If you know it.)

And, hopefully if we hear from those who've had these mods for a year or more, they can tell us how the paint is holding up to every day use and what exactly every day use is for them. (Lots of highway time vs. little or none.)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
LOL - You already know my answer :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I had mine done almost 3 years ago with no problems at all. Bumpers and door handels. You sound like you drive on dirt roads and may not be for you.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I removed and sandblasted mine, then sprayed with zinc chromate primer/sealer and polyurethane "plastic" paint, as is used on oil rigs etc. Not a mark so far.

Line-X can cover this:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I loved mine. Painter used etching primer. Held up great for more than a year (then I traded it) with only the usual chips associated with painted surfaces. The grille was perfect, the metal bumper (obviously) had the most chips.

I'd take normal wear/tear chips over that chrome bumper any way. Monochromatic paint treatment really cleans up the look of any vehicle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I read a post on another toyota forum about a guy who rhino lined or linexed his whole truck. It looked pretty crazy black rhino lined ( I liked it). I wonder if Line-x ing the bumper and the grill would look good. If it does good ( I think it would) I'll bet it would be pretty chip proof. When I get my bed line-x'ed I may do the front grill moulding and the bumber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts