Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been reading about how adding Dyna beads can virtually eliminate the need for tire-balancing weights on the rims. Only thing is I have no experience with them and wanted to check in with those that have added them to their ride to see if:
  • you think they are worth installing
  • there are any issues with them that we should be aware of
  • someone like me needs to buy them first (i.e. that most places don't stock them)
  • there is any installation/maintenance advice that can be used to make the process simpler/easier
Also, are they relatively quiet? Thanks in advance for your input! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used them in my 80 series Cruiser for 2 years. It takes a while to get them in the tire through the valve stem. They work at speeds greater than about 25MPH. I didn't remove the weights on my wheels, so I can't say if they will work without wheel weights.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have them on my Tundra, no issues, my tires are only balanced with Dyna beads no weights. My tires are LR E, big heavy tires. I also had them on my previous truck for about 50k miles with no issues.
I have always bought direct from Innovative through thier web interface.

Added on edit, they are silent.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't used them but one of my buddy has them is his truck and jeeps and loves them. You can accomplish the same thing using steel BB's or Airsoft Plastic BB's (the black ones work the best) for a lot less money.
Either way they are quiet and work very well at balancing tires with or with out wheel weights. It is easier to pop the bead and pour them in, than it is to go through the valve stem.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my dad uses them on his motorcycle tires...loves them. he will be using them on his truck when it comes time for new tires. i will probally put them in my truck as well when i need to rebalance. i dont know, but i think ive read that TPMS vehicles cant have the beads installed through the valve stem but i may be wrong. also, i have heard a little concern, but nothing to support it at all, that the beads floating around in there can damage a tpms sensor over time. but again, thats just been mentioned a couple of times with no support that i saw.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I haven't used them but one of my buddy has them is his truck and jeeps and loves them. You can accomplish the same thing using steel BB's or Airsoft Plastic BB's (the black ones work the best) for a lot less money.
Either way they are quiet and work very well at balancing tires with or with out wheel weights. It is easier to pop the bead and pour them in, than it is to go through the valve stem.

Are you familiar with Dyna beads? They are about the size of a head of a pin and very dense, steel BBs would not be a good solution as they will rust and clump together, also being much bigger than Dyna beads they may damage the TPMS sensors. As for Airsoft Plastic BBs, how dense are they, I put 6 ounces in each of my tires, it was a small pouch about 2" square by 1" high, I would think 6 ounces of plastic BBs would be take up a lot more volume and not be able to provide the weight density needed to balance the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, if I wanted to have them installed when I get the tires mounted, do I just hand them to the tech(s) and say please pour these in when you mount the tires on the wheels? I'm assuming that I'll need to purchase these from somewhere else. If anybody knows approximately how many ounces/wheel would be good or if there is some kind of way to calculate what's needed, that would be great. It looks like a pretty interesting product...

·
Registered
420 Posts
So, if I wanted to have them installed when I get the tires mounted, do I just hand them to the tech(s) and say please pour these in when you mount the tires on the wheels? I'm assuming that I'll need to purchase these from somewhere else. If anybody knows approximately how many ounces/wheel would be good or if there is some kind of way to calculate what's needed, that would be great. It looks like a pretty interesting product...

They sell pouches that you place inside the tire when you mount them, the pouches break apart once the wheel starts spinning. You have to tell the tech mounting the tire to use as little lube putting the tire on as possible because if it gets in the tire it will cause the Dyna beads to clump. I mounted mine at a freinds shop and we used a little Armour all on the bead that was it, it slid right over the rim.
For my tires they said to use 6 ounces, I had to call as my size was not listed on thier site. I would also recomend the filtered valve cores, not a big deal but the beads can cause a regular valve to stick and leak air.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my dad went online and contacted them for a local retailer close to us and he went and got his beads tehre and took them to the tire shop. tire places are very familiar with them now so it should be a non issue for telling them how to put them in etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 'em in my motorcycle and I love 'em for that application. However, they are not without their issues. For one, you really have to be careful when airing up, or checking tire pressures, so as to orient the valve stem such that it will not allow an errant bead to become lodged in the valve stem. Ask me how I know!! While I love them for my cycle, I've been a bit hesitant to try them out on my 4 wheeled vehicles. This for a few reasons;
1. I change my own motorcycle tires and I know the beads are in there. I don't change my own truck tires, so I can't help but wonder what will become of my beads when the pimple-faced kid at Costco breaks the bead on my truck tire....then proceeds to "MF" me as the little ceramic beads roll all over his shop floor, and decides to take revenge by leaving a dew lug nuts un-torqued. Serisouly though....I don't think "Sparky" is gonna spend much time collecting the beads...not to mention, the tire store will almost certainly tell me how they MUST balance the tire (liability reason ya know) using the more traditional methods....for which, I must pay $10 per tire.
2. The jury is still out on the compatibility of dyna-beads with the TPMS.

The physics behind it all is undesputable, and I can tell you first hand that they absolutely work...and work wonders on my motorcycle. I've just been gun shy to give 'em a go on my truck/cars.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have 'em in my motorcycle and I love 'em for that application. However, they are not without their issues. For one, you really have to be careful when airing up, or checking tire pressures, so as to orient the valve stem such that it will not allow an errant bead to become lodged in the valve stem. Ask me how I know!! While I love them for my cycle, I've been a bit hesitant to try them out on my 4 wheeled vehicles. This for a few reasons;
1. I change my own motorcycle tires and I know the beads are in there. I don't change my own truck tires, so I can't help but wonder what will become of my beads when the pimple-faced kid at Costco breaks the bead on my truck tire....then proceeds to "MF" me as the little ceramic beads roll all over his shop floor, and decides to take revenge by leaving a dew lug nuts un-torqued. Serisouly though....I don't think "Sparky" is gonna spend much time collecting the beads...not to mention, the tire store will almost certainly tell me how they MUST balance the tire (liability reason ya know) using the more traditional methods....for which, I must pay $10 per tire.
2. The jury is still out on the compatibility of dyna-beads with the TPMS.

The physics behind it all is undesputable, and I can tell you first hand that they absolutely work...and work wonders on my motorcycle. I've just been gun shy to give 'em a go on my truck/cars.

You should have used filtered valve cores on your bike, with them you will have no issue with a bead getting stuck in the valve.
If you get new tires just get a new set of beads, they are only $11 a bag for the 6 ounce size, they cannot easily be reused. Any reputable tire place will have heard of them, they are pretty commonly used on larger tires on trucks, the tires cannot be balanced on a machine with the beads in the tire.
They say there is no issue with TPMS, I have had them for 4500 miles without any issue, have you heard any reports of issues with TPMS?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I keep my TPMS modules in a plastic pipe behind the seat, so no compatibility problems here. :heh:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
You should have used filtered valve cores on your bike, with them you will have no issue with a bead getting stuck in the valve.
If you get new tires just get a new set of beads, they are only $11 a bag for the 6 ounce size, they cannot easily be reused. Any reputable tire place will have heard of them, they are pretty commonly used on larger tires on trucks, the tires cannot be balanced on a machine with the beads in the tire.
They say there is no issue with TPMS, I have had them for 4500 miles without any issue, have you heard any reports of issues with TPMS?
first i have heard of the filtered valve core...got a link or pic? sounds like something i need to share wtih my dad with his motorcycle tires.

second, the replacement of the beads i thought would be a no brainer, i would never expect someone to try to collect those little things out of a tire when getting it replaced. the only thing that would concern me is for a flat repair..i guess just buying a couple extra pouches of the beads for that event would be best.

yes, most any place that installs tires has heard of them and has been around them. all the chain places would have been surely.

the TPMS issue..some have posted concern (nothing that i remember to back it up though) of the beads hitting the sensors over time damaging them. but again, i have no real knowledge of that, just what other forums have posted and we all know how reliable info is on forums....

·
Registered
420 Posts
first i have heard of the filtered valve core...got a link or pic? sounds like something i need to share wtih my dad with his motorcycle tires.

second, the replacement of the beads i thought would be a no brainer, i would never expect someone to try to collect those little things out of a tire when getting it replaced. the only thing that would concern me is for a flat repair..i guess just buying a couple extra pouches of the beads for that event would be best.

yes, most any place that installs tires has heard of them and has been around them. all the chain places would have been surely.

the TPMS issue..some have posted concern (nothing that i remember to back it up though) of the beads hitting the sensors over time damaging them. but again, i have no real knowledge of that, just what other forums have posted and we all know how reliable info is on forums....

Innovative sells them with the beads here, Dyna Beads and Accessories they also have a ton of information on them on the site.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I used Dyna Beads. I had some issues with getting a set of Bridgestones to balance, and they did the trick. They won't help with lateral imbalance, so did both. After the third try at the tire shop, I said screw it. Bought the beads online, put them in myself, and just left the weights on there. With the combination of both, they were smooth at all speeds.

I'll use them again, no question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts