Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Platinum Crewmax (although I am worried the incentives will get better after 6/1). Anyway, I am kinda torn on the whole platinum package. I will admit the major reason I am getting it is that I want a black leather interior. I am not a fan of graphite (at all), and this is the only reasonable way I can see to make it happen.

Anyway, the platinum package has a few things I don't like. I hate the wood grain steering wheel and the dash trim. I also would prefer color matched bumpers, etc. that come with the Limited.

So... those that have it or considered it, what is your advice? Go limited and spend the money on aftermarket leather, or stick with the platinum as the wood grain grows on you, and the chrome on the exterior isn't so bad.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
well if it helps at all, i have just purchased a brand new Limited; i am willing to swap steering wheel with you... this way i rid you of one of your issues :D - I am dyyyying for the platinum's wood steering wheel... i assure you it will grow on you

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
In my opinion: The best option that comes with the Platinum is the Heated AND Cooled seats! I believe the limited only has heated. I like the limited 20's much better than the Platinum rims. The wood-trim doesn't do much for me where they have it. I don't like the Platinum grill. And... depending on the color, I like the painted bumpers over the chrome (except for Pyrite and Slate IMO, which I like with the Chrome).

I understand what you mean about the black interior, but I went from black to gray and I'm happy with the gray so far. There's several options for upgrading your leather to black if you get the Limited... Clazzio's, Katskins, custom-shop...etc --- for much less $$$ than the Platinum package.

SO: I think the Platinum is overpriced for the features (except those cooled seats!)

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Its preference, but I'm opposite of the guy above (just my taste I guess). I like the Plat grill, wheels, chrome bumper (and chrome is a PITA in PA winters). The AC seats rock, and I always hated wood. But I actually like it. GL whichever you choose bro. As for price difference, not sure there is one. I think thats perception. I had a loaded 07 LTD that stickered 2K higher than my 10 Platinum and the only options not on the Plat are the ones I asked to be excluded....running boards, DVD, bedliner. So to me they are similar in price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's all personal preference. When I bought my platinum I wanted the chrome trim (mirrors, handles, bumpers), but wasn't sure about the wood trim. Pictures of the wood trim looked bad on a few websites, but when I saw it at the dealership it is much darker. After having the truck for awhile, I really like the wood trim and I'm happy I bought it. The cooled seats are a plus. I'm curious to see how they perform in the summer heat. Overall, I've been very happy with the platinum.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I am very happy with my platinum. Your wife will really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I passed on the Platinum (which is actually cheaper than many Limiteds) simply because of the chrome bumper.

My $36K stripper crewmax SR5 4x4 had the same look, and I just wasn't into that even on that truck. I painted that one, but the urethane front of the Limited is just much cleaner to me (JMO). The only differentiators to me are the ventilated seats.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I just picked up a black Platinum- very happy I did now. Features are great, nav is better than I thought. I would buy it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going platinum. It's just a sweet truck. I would regret it if I didn't. I pick mine up this weekend hopefully. It's in shop getting 6" Pro Comp lift, XD Series Hoss wheels, DVD headrests & 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers as we speak. I've been through a Z71, F-150, two Dodge 3500's and a 2500. This is the first one I've been really excited about. I'm doing red rock interior. I didn't like it at first but I kept going back and looking at it and it grew on me. Crossing my fingers that it'll be in the driveway before Memorial Day.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Another problem with the Platinum: You can't get it in PyriteMica, the BEST COLOR!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got a Platinum Crewmax mainly for the air conditioned seats. So far I am unimpressed with them. I can only feel it on my crotch and not on my back. I need to sit in the passenger seat and do a comparison to see if they are working.

I hate the wood steering wheel but don't mind the rest of the wood trim. Overall I do like this truck more than my 2007 DC Limited. It is a better color silver vs. nautical blue and has a sunroof...which I really missed with the DC.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Buy a lesser model and build it on your own with aftermarket products. You will save a BUNCH OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The platinum is great if you like all the options. The seats aren't as good as some but it is better than nothing in this Texas heat. The Platinum is a better deal compared to many standard Limiteds. Otherwise, I would just get aftermarket black interior.

I like the wood steering wheel, easy to clean, the other wood is..meh.

The steering wheel is like an $1,100 part, I think. You shouldn't have any trouble selling it and swapping it out if you want.

There is no downside to the platinum unless you don't like chrome or want to spend less $$$.

In the end it isn't that much more, especially if you add any options to the SR5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts